12 September 2017

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 170621

Minutes of the NRO EC Teleconference held on Tuesday 21 June 2017 11:00 AM UTC

Executive Council:

John Curran (JC) ARIN Chair
Paul Wilson (PW) APNIC Secretary – Vice Chair
Alan Barrett (AB) AFRINIC Treasurer
Axel Pawlik (AP) RIPE NCC
Oscar Robles (OR) LACNIC

Observers:

Nate Davis (ND) ARIN
Hollis Kara (HK) ARIN
Mark Kosters (MK) ARIN
John Sweeting (JS) ARIN
Paul Andersen (PA) ARIN
Sanjaya (SS) APNIC
Izumi Okutani (IO) APNIC
Ernesto Majo (EM) LACNIC
Athina Fragkouli (AF) RIPE NCC
Tom McKenzie (TM) ITEMS consultant
Tim McGuiness (McT) ITEMS consultant

Secretariat:

German Valdez (GV) NRO

Draft Agenda:

0. Welcome
1. Agenda Review
2. Minutes Review
a) April 18
b) May 16
3. ASO Review Update
4. CCWG S2 Update
a) ASO Empowered Community Interim Procedures
b) ICANN59 ASO Empowered Community Representative
c) ASO involvement in the guidelines for good faith in entering ICANN Board member removal discussions.
5. IANA Proposed AS Registry Reserved Status Change
6. RSCG Proposed AS Registry Changes
7. CG Input / Consultation
a) RSCG
i) ITHI Final Draft w/matrix
ii) RPKI suggested statistics
iii) Extended Stats recommendation
8. Review Open Actions
9. Next Meetings
a) Teleconference Tuesday July 18
b) Teleconference Tuesday August 15
c) face-to-face meeting 27 October Dubai
10. AOB
11. Adjourn

0. Welcome

JC welcomed all participants and started the meeting at 11:05 AM UTC. JC noted that AB was not in the call so decisions might have to be confirmed later.

1. Agenda Review

PW suggested adding a point on AOB about 0/0 implementation announcement.

2. Minutes Review

a) April 18

GV confirmed that all NRO EC members provided feedback to April minutes.

b) May 16

GV reported that ARIN was pending to provide feedback for May minutes.

3. ASO Review Update

JC welcomed Tom McKenzie and Tim McGuiness, ITEMS consultant to the meeting.

TM delivered a report of the process and highlighted some of the aspects of the draft final ASO Review report.

PW considered that longstanding issues like the confusion of roles between ASO and NRO in the ICANN community should have more prevalence in the report against other short term issues like the recent changes in the ICANN bylaws related to the empowered communities. He also commented that the material on the Empowered Community could be separated more clearly, as this is a recent issue arising from the IANA transition, and distinct from other ASO-related issues.

McT said that the focus of the empowered community content in the report reflects the relevance given by the interviewers.

OR clarified that the review committee members in the case of LACNIC are not the same representatives of the ASO AC. OR asked that this text be corrected in the report. OR added that there was an inaccuracy in the role of the RIR boards and the appointed ASO AC members in the report.

McT acknowledged and thanked OR observations. McT said that one of the reasons to run a review with the NRO EC at this stage was to double check some of the facts in the report.

AB joined the meeting at 11:30 AM UTC

JC agreed with OR and PW and observed that the report doesn’t quite explain how the ASO AC is contributing to ICANN mission. JC said that he didn’t need a response now but wanted to share his points.

PW suggested to have more clarity on what is in the scope of the report.

JC agreed with PW. JC recognised that could be several different ways to collaborate with ICANN but he asked about the most effective ways of doing that.

TM said that one of the characteristics of the ASO review as SO inside ICANN was whether they are still relevant as part of ICANN structure. TM added that one of the statement in the review was that the ASO and ICANN should be careful in the admin overhead in their relationship.

JC thanked TM and McT.

TM thanked and welcomed all comments. TM assured those will be considered for the preparation of the public report to be presented in Johannesburg ICANN meeting.

JC asked all NRO EC members to send their comment by 21 June 2017 COB.

4. CCWG S2 Update

a) ASO Empowered Community Interim Procedures

JC reminded about the document drafted by the RIR legal team. JC said that the document needs to be fleshed out and synchronise with ICANN last developments with the empowered community procedures.

AF asked if the structure of the current document was good enough to proceed with the rest of the content.

AP said that the structure was useful and it was time to develop the procedures for each power.

JC agreed it was a good start and suggested to work in a format that could be formally adopted. JC suggested to start with the procedures to adopt bylaws changes as they might be need it first.

OR founded the structure and approach of the document appropriate. OR suggested the production of a diagram or flow chart explaining the decision-making process.

AF said that this can be produced.

JC asked OR if the charts are conditional for the adoption of the procedures.

OR said that the charts could be produced in a later stage after the adoption. OR said that the charts are more a tool to be used when need it.

New Action Item 170620-01 JC to work with the RIR legal team to finalise the drafting of the ASO Empowered Community procedures.

b) ICANN59 ASO Empowered Community Representative

JC reminded he was not going to be able to attend ICANN 59 meeting in Johannesburg. JC suggested to have a formal decision to appoint PW as the ASO empowered community representative during the coming ICANN meeting.

JC suggested that the appointment be temporary starting on June 21st through July 1st.

All agreed.

New Action Item 170620-02 JC to communicate with ICANN EC support staff the temporary appointment of Paul Wilson as representative of the ASO EC between June 21st through July 1st.

c) ASO involvement in the guidelines for good faith in entering ICANN Board member removal discussions.

JC reminded about Jason Schiller comments to the community consultation. JC said that is common in ICANN to label comments with the constituency of the contributor. JC suggested to clarified that Jason Schiller comments are personal and not linked with any position of the ASO AC or NRO EC

AF asked about the NRO EC position in the last outcome of the consultation on accountability and on the discussions on diversity.

JC said that according to the scope of the ASO in ICANN and our documents, only the NRO EC acts on behalf of the number community so no number community position should be taken without NRO EC review.

PW agreed.

JC asked AF to send the diversity information to the NRO EC mailing list.

5. IANA Proposed AS Registry Reserved Status Change

JC reminded about IANA proposal on changes on the reserved status on AS registry. JC said that there were two proposed changes, one proposing to label unallocated space to be intended for allocation to the RIR and the second to change the reserved status to unallocated.

AB considered that the first change is in the scope of the NRO EC to approve but he suggested that the second change regarding the removal of reserved status should be consulted with the IETF.

JC volunteered to draft a communication to IANA on this matter.

New Action Item 170620-03 JC to draft a message for the approval of the NRO EC regarding the change of status on the AS registry. The message to IANA should say that the NRO EC in general support the changes from reserve to unallocated but the change should be reviewed with the IETF to confirm they agree with the change, once this the NRO EC have no objection to the second change for the indication of intent of future allocation.

All agreed.

6. RSCG Proposed AS Registry Changes

JC reminded that RSCG proposal to request IANA to reduce the level of granularity on the current AS registry.

AB supported the proposal

JC asked PW to socialise the idea with IANA staff during ICANN meeting in Johannesburg.

JC volunteer to draft a message to IANA on the matter

New Action Item 170620-04 JC to draft a message for the approval of the NRO EC informing IANA about the RSCG proposal to reduce the level of detailed in the AS registry.

7. CG Input / Consultation

a) RSCG

i) ITHI Final Draft w/matrix

JS reminded that he sent the final draft document with a generic matrix attached. JS pointed out that the matrix specifies the different policies in the RIRs that would indicate that the data is current, correct and complete. JS said that the ECG is working in a solid report to include RIR criteria.

JC asked JS to work in a community consultation plan for the ITHI

New Action Item 1706210-05 JS to work in a community consultation plan for the ITHI.

ii) RPKI suggested statistics

JS said that in coordination with the ECG the have worked in a set of statistics that are fine with both sides.

iii) Extended Stats recommendation

JS said the ECG is working on the document but the RSCG is fine with the current content,

8. Review Open Actions

Action Item 170516-01 JC to incorporate ASO AC comments to the NRO statement on the ASO Review and prepare two version of the statement one including the ASO AC as signatory and the second only the NRO EC. JC to request confirmation from the ASO AC to join the statement by the end of the month otherwise the statement would be released only with the NRO EC as signatory.

COMPLETED.

Action Item 170516-02 NRO EC to review legal team document on ASO empowered community interim procedures and send comments to the list.

REPLACED by Action Item 170620-01

Action Item 170516-03 JC to confirm to the IGF UN secretariat a second 2017 NRO contribution for the support of the IGF MAG chair functions.

COMPLETED
GV reported that the first contribution has been made.

Action Item 170516-04 MK to consult with ECG about the effort to conduct a test environment for the deploy of 0/0 and report back to the NRO EC

COMPLETED.

Action Item 1705016-05. HK and MK to work in a technical announcement in preparation to the deployment of 0/0 RPKI service in the 3rd quarter of this year.  The announcement should be coordinated with the new RPKI content in the NRO website (action item Action Item 170418-07)

HK said there is a draft in progress.

IN PROGRESS

Action Item 170516-06 MK in coordination with JS to consult with the ECG if there is any technical impact in the roll back of the IANA ASN registry.

COMPLETED

Action Item 170516-07 JS and the RSCG to draft a public announcement requesting IANA to roll back their ASN registry to the 2008 format.  The announcement could be used for a RIR community consultation to discard any impact on members using the current IANA ASN registry format.

COMPLETED

Action Item 170516-08 JC finalise draft from Action Item 170418-03 in consultation with the NRO EC and send it to Rinalia.

OPEN

Action Item 170516-09 OR to send an initial review about RIR participation in ICANN groups with recommendations on what groups participation is relevant.

IN PROGRESS

Action Item 170516-10 JC to ask the ASO AC if the consultation of the scope of editing global polices refers to abstract cases or for particular cases.

JC said that this is coming from a minor change in the wording of a global policy in ARIN. There is a question if minor wording changes to global policy should be taken up to the ICANN Board or it’s a matter in the scope of the ASO.

OPEN

Action Item 170418-07 AB in coordination with the CCG draft new content for the rpki section in the NRO website.

IN PROGRESS

Action Item 170316-02: JC to draft a message to CCWG S2 representatives clarifying the engagement with this group (observers by default, no position unless instructed by the NRO EC)

OPEN

Action Item 170316-12 RSM Chair (JS) to get a document to the NRO EC for agreement on NRO global stats format and publish it.

COMPLETED

Action Item 170316-13 CCG in advance of 6/6/2017 activities to update IPv6 content based on regional input and coordinate a RIR promotional video.

COMPLETED

Action Item 170316-16 GV to investigate an NRO EC wiki for document management with RIPE NCC

GV said that the RIPE NCC has set up a wiki page for the NRO. GV said that the next step would be to customise the wiki for the NRO EC and CCG needs.

IN PROGRESS.

Action Item 170221-03 JC to draft a response to ICANN CEO regarding how to work together going forward as PTI customers. JC to share the draft in the NRO EC list for comments before submitting it to ICANN.

CLOSED. Over taken by events.

Action Item 161027-07 CM (or ECG Chair) to collaborate with the RSCG in the establishment of a set of RPKI adoption matrix for the use of regular reporting.

COMPLETED

9. Next Meetings

a) Teleconference Tuesday July 18

All ok with the proposed date.

b) Teleconference Tuesday August 15

All ok with the proposed date

c) face-to-face meeting 27 October Dubai

All ok with the proposed date.

10. AOB

0/0 TA RPKI Service Announcement

PW suggested to announce or communicate with the IETF, before their coming meeting, about the plans of launching the RIR rpki services by the end of the 3rd quarter this year.

JC suggested to be present in the sidr working group meeting in case of any questions. JC volunteered to draft a message to the sidr working group informing them about the RIR rpki service plans.

PW confirmed he would not be participating of the coming IETF meeting, but several APNIC staff would be attending.

New Action Item 170620-06 JC to draft a message for the approval of the NRO EC informing the SIDR WG about the plan to deploy the 0/0 TA approach for the RIR RPKI services at the end of the 2017 3rd quarter.

11. Adjourn

JC thanked all participants and adjourned the meeting at 13:00 UTC.

Comments are closed.