16 March 2015

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 150120

Minutes of the NRO EC Teleconference meeting held on Tuesday January 20th 2015 at 11:00 AM UTC

Executive Council:

Adiel Akplogan (AA) AFRINIC
Axel Pawlik (AP) RIPE NCC Chair
Ernesto Majo (EM) LACNIC Secretary
Paul Wilson (PW) APNIC
John Curran (JC) ARIN Treasurer

Observers:

Patrick Deesse (PD) AFRINIC
Nate Davis (ND) ARIN
Pablo Hinojosa (PH) APNIC
Maemura Akinori (MA) APNIC
Andres Piazza (API) LACNIC
Nick Hyrka (AG) RIPE NCC
Ingrid Wijte (IW) RIPE NCC
Paul Rendek (PR) RIPE NCC

Secretariat:

German Valdez (GV) NRO

Draft Agenda

0) Welcome
1) Agenda Review
2) Minutes Approval
a) September 23rd
b) October 18th.
c) October 31st
d) December 1st
e) December 2nd
3) Review Action Items
4) CG input
5) IANA Stewardship Transition Update
a) CRISP Status Review
b) Updates ICG
c) Succeeding Adiel on ICG
6) ICANN Accountability Update
a) Appointment 4th representative
7) Joint RIR Stability fund, status
8) I* Status and Planning
a) NET Mundial Initiative
9) ICANN policy development reports
a) Input into opening session 10 min update volunteers
b) Input into 29 Jan stakeholder teleconference David Olive sent draft
10) NRO EC Next Meeting Dates
11) AOB
a) Finalize NRO budget, taking into account request for 2 f2f by CGs
b) IDEA / Ashton-Hart.
12) Adjourn

0) Welcome

AP welcomed attendees and started the meeting at 11:10 AM UTC.

1) Agenda Review

AP went through the draft agenda.

No additions were made and agenda was adopted as above.

AP thanked AA for his chairmanship during last year.

2) Minutes Approval

AP moved to approve September 23rd 2014 minutes

JC seconded.

All approved

AP moved to approve October 18th 2014 minutes

JC seconded

All approved

AP moved to approve October 31st 2014 minutes

JC seconded.

All approved

AP moved to approve December 1st 2014 minutes.

JC said that he was not able to review the minutes yet.

AP suggested to postpone the approval of December minutes and asked the NRO EC members to send comments to the list as soon as practical possible.

3) Review Open Actions.

Action Item 180214-05: AA and GV to work with the CFO to determine the indirect cost from each RIR in their support to NRO activities.

GV reported that some RIR are pending to send the information.

Status: IN PROGRESS

Action Item 180114-03: PACG to include Governing Board Structure, Budget and Activity Approval, Fee Approval and Bylaw/Operational Document Control information to the accountability and governability matrix.

Status: OPEN

Action Item 180114-04: PACG based on the accountability and governability matrix propose to the NRO EC those areas where could be consolidation or harmonization among the RIR.

Status: OPEN

Action Item 011214-01: NRO EC to appoint fourth representative to ICANN CCWG

AP suggested discussing the topic during the assigned agenda item.

Status: OPEN

Action Item 011214-02: AP to draft a definition of the joint RIR stability fund

GV reminded that AP sent a draft to the list.

AP asked to discuss the topic as part of the assigned agenda item.

Status: CLOSED

Action Item 011214-03: JC to draft a proposal for a RIR risk management matrix

GV said that JC sent a draft for discussion to the NRO EC list.

JC suggested adding the topic as AOB.

AP agreed.

Status: CLOSED

Action Item 011214-04: PW to draft questions related to inter regional registration activities that could be use to update the Policy Comparison document.

PW reported that he drafted the questions. PW said that there is a set of responses that need to be circulated.

Status: IN PROGRESS

Action Item 011214-05: PW to draft a communication to ICANN with expectations, observations and or concerns on the NETmundial Initiative.

PW suggested that the action was taken by events.

AP and JC agreed.

Status: CLOSED

Action Item 011214-06: AA to send a reminder to convene the next I* meeting and ask to include the following points to the agenda: IANA Stewardship Transition, ICANN CCWG, NETmundial Initiative, I* Relationship

AA confirmed that the reminder was sent.

Status: CLOSED

Action Item 021214-01: GV to communicate to the CG on the NRO EC expectation to organize their face-to-face meeting around Internet related industry meetings were most of the CG members converge or participate.

GV said he would add to the communication the requirement of the 60 days in advance request for f2f meeting which was agreed in the EC last year.

Status: OPEN

Action Item 021214-02: GV to compile CG work plans and detect interactions between the CG.

GV said that he would send the document by the end of the week

Status: OPEN

Action Item 021214-03: GV to update NRO EC 2015 teleconference meetings calendar and distribute the information to the list

GV reminded that he sent the calendar. GV said he received one comment from AP.

Status: CLOSED

Action Item 021214-04: GV to draft NRO EC meetings procedures

GV said that he would add the COO component in NRO EC meetings procedures and send the draft by the end of the week.

Status: IN PROGRESS

4) CG Consultation.

AP asked for any input from PACG

No input or consultation was given.

AP asked for input from ECG

GV reminded that the ECG was at the moment in their face-to-face meeting in Montevideo, Uruguay. GV said the NRO EC could expect information from the meeting soon.

AP asked for input from the CCG

NH said that the CCG was preparing their meeting during ICANN in Singapore. NH requested to have a joint session with PACG and NRO EC on Wednesday (11/2) or Thursday (12/2).

AP welcomed NH request and suggested him to coordinate the meeting with GV

AP asked for input from RSCG

IW reported that are working in the adjustments for their 2015 work plan. IW added the RSCG would request to meet f2f after ARIN meeting in April.

5) IANA Stewardship Transition Update

a) CRISP Status Review

JC mentioned that CRISP team made an exceedingly well work and submitted on time the Number Community proposal to the ICG. JC asked the NRO EC on thoughts on the continuation of the ICG work in the coming consultation phases. JC suggested thanking the CRISP team and asking them to please stand by, as the NRO EC would expect they continue their work in the ICG consultation process.

AP strongly supported JC’s suggestion.

AA said that it’d be good if the CRISP team could lead the consultation phase.

PW Agreed

EM Agreed. EM said the CRISP team did a smart job and they achieved the objectives according to the deadline. EM agreed in extending their work.

AP considered the CRISP team should take the lead on the consolidation of the final proposal.

JC suggested that the legal team should start drafting the SLA considering the community input so negotiations could start around May/June.

AP agreed with JC.

New Action Item 150120-01: AP contact CRISP team to thank them for their work in the drafting of the Number Community proposal and communicate the expectation of the NRO EC to continue their work in the coming phases of the ICG consultations.

New Action Item 150120-02: AP to ask the legal team to start drafting the Number Community SLA considering community feedback.

b) Updates ICG

AA confirmed that the ICG has received 2 proposals from the protocol and Number Community. AA said that ICG has contracted ISOC Singapore chapter to offer the secretariat administrative support.

PW said that a system has been developed for the proposals evaluation. PW mentioned that the ICG would meet on Friday and Saturday before ICANN meeting and the meeting was open for observers. PW invited RIR staff to participate of the ICG meeting. PW added that there is an ICG session on Monday of ICANN week and each community would have 40 minutes for presentation updates. PW considered that the CRISP team should do the presentation as community representatives so he contacted Izumi Okutani on that regards.

JC asked if the ICG has received any formal request for an extension from the names community.

AA said that no formal request was received but informal discussions are on place.

JC suggested that the ICG and names community should agree soon on a new delivery time. JC said that a public disagreement or apparently discord would hinder the IANA transition further down the road.

AA agreed. AA said he would discuss the matter with ICG chair and names community representatives.

c) Succeeding Adiel on ICG

EM said that JC could be a good option to replace AA in the ICG. EM added that the option of appointing a CRISP team member was also good so could be a linkage between the team and the ICG discussions. EM said that Izumi Okutani or Alan Barrett are good candidates.

AP agreed with EM. AP asked if having a CRISP team member represented a conflict of interest of some sort.

PW said that he doesn’t see a problem in appointing a CRISP team member.

AP asked if the CRISP team should decide the appointment.

AA suggested that the NRO EC should keep the responsibility.

AP stated that Izumi Okutani and Alan Barrett are the current candidates to be selected and asked for any additions.

AA said that they are chair and co chair and the NRO EC maybe should look down other members of the CRISP team.

AP mentioned that he expected that the CRISP team work load would go down a bit. AP volunteered Nurani Nimpuno, subject to her availability.

EM said that Alan Barrett was also a member of the ASO AC as well.

PW said the NRO EC should make a choice subject with the agreement of the selected individual.

AA said that based on EM’s comment the distribution of 1 ASO AC and 2 NRO representatives in the ICG might change.

JC suggested replacing Adiel with RIR executive or staff member if no RIR CEO volunteers for this.

PW said he was not concern about the distribution of ASO and NRO. PW stated he was open to appoint executive, staff or community members. PW considered that the best persons in terms of knowledge on what needs to be discussed come from the CRISP team members.

AP suggested sending an email to Izumi, Alan and Nurani and consulting their availability before making a choice.

New Action Item 150120-03: AP to send an email to Izumi Okutani, Nurani Nimpuno and Alan Barret and consult if they would be available to replace AA in the ICG. Based on the feedback the NRO EC to select a new Number Community representative in the ICG.

6) ICANN Accountability Update

a) Appointment 4th representative

AP reminded that the NRO EC must select a fourth representative to the ICANN CCWG once Louie Lee declined the appointment. AP asked who were the other options.

GV said that the other candidate discussed in Mauritius meeting was Jorge Villa, ASO AC representative from LACNIC. GV added that the ASO AC discussed the matter in their December meeting and they proposed a new list of candidates that included Fiona Asonga, Ajay Kumar, Filiz Yilmaz and Louie Lee. GV reminded that Fiona Asonga was already appointed to the ICANN CCWG.

AP asked for any other thoughts.

PR said that the group already has RIPE, APNIC and AFRINIC representation and suggested to have LACNIC or ARIN representatives. PR suggested having confirmation from the candidates before proceeding with the selection.

AP asked GV to prepare a proper list of candidates based on confirmations.

New Action Item 150120-04: GV to prepare a list of confirmed CCWG candidates based on ASO and NRO discussion and submit it to the EC list.

7) Joint RIR Stability fund, status

AP reminded that this proposal was discussed in Mauritius meeting. AP mentioned he sent a proposal to the list. AP asked for comments in the list before proceed further.

JC mentioned that he had some comments for the draft. JC said he’d send the comments to the list as requested.

8) I* Status and Planning

AP reminded about AA email to ISOC about scheduling the meeting and asked about any update.

AA said that there was not reply yet received.

AP suggested to wait a couple of days for a response otherwise he would call Cathy Brown and look for an update.

New Action Item 150120-05: AP to contact ISOC and look for an update about first I* meeting in 2015.

a) NET Mundial Initiative

No updates were discussed in the teleconference.

9) ICANN policy development reports

a) Input into opening session 10 min update volunteers

AP said that the NRO EC request on having time for report in ICANN meeting has been taken seriously and confirmed there is a time slot of 10 minutes on Monday to address the whole ICANN audience.

AP apologized for not being able to present the NRO report as he is arriving on Tuesday and asked for a volunteer to present the report.

AP offered to lead the presentation preparation but he asked for a presenter.

JC reminded that traditionally the presentation is coordinated with the ASO AC chair.

AP agreed and said he would contact Louie Lee to coordinate the presentation.

PR suggested that a RIR CEO make the presentation. PR considered that in addition to PDP content, showing information of stable RIR system would come better from a RIR head.

JC said that the content could be divided on policy and operational. JC said operational content could be focused on the robustness and resilience of the registry system and information on the recent accountability efforts.

AP thanked JC and supported the approach.

AA suggested having only one speaker to avoid confusion on ICANN audience.

PR agreed.

EM considered that it was a good opportunity and presentation content should include operational aspects. EM agreed that a RIR CEO should make the presentation. EM mentioned that maybe APNIC could do the presentation as the meeting was in their region.

PW confirmed he was available to deliver the presentation.

JC considered that it was important also to highlight that RIR have individual PDP and such discussions are conducting regionally.

AP agreed in developing content on two threads, operational and policy. AP said he would coordinate with Louie Lee the presentation and content.

New Action Item 150120-06: AP to coordinate Louie Lee the 10 minutes ASO/NRO presentation to be delivered in ICANN meeting in Singapore.

b) Input into 29 Jan stakeholder teleconference David Olive sent draft

AP said he would work in deliver speaking notes for this meeting based on David Olive’s emails.

10) NRO EC Next Meeting Dates

AP reminded that next teleconference is on Tuesday February 17th 2015. AP suggested that the COO should work in advance for the meeting and expected a draft agenda for discussion 2 weeks in advance.

AA said that one issue is the appointment of COO in some RIR. AA mentioned that such role is not in place in AFRINIC.

AP said that it was not necessarily to attach it the COO position but someone to support internally the follow up of actions and meetings preparations.

EM said that there was not a formal COO in LACNIC but they would appoint someone to support the NRO EC meetings and discussions.

AP reminded that proposed days to meet face to face in Singapore are February 13th and 14th. AP asked AA and PW if they were available for the meeting in such dates.

PW confirmed

AA confirmed PD would be representing AFRINIC

EM suggested avoiding one meeting day if there was no content. EM said that the new LACNIC CEO, Oscar Robles, would be in Singapore meeting to participate in NRO related activities in full capacity in his new role.

AP welcomed the news and proposed to work with GV in a draft agenda in order to define the meeting dates.

EM mentioned that API, EM would remain in the NRO EC list.

JC agreed to avoid a Saturday meeting if possible and suggested to conduct the scheduled February 17th meeting as part of the face-to-face meeting in Singapore and cancel such teleconference.

New Action Item 150120-07: AP and GV to work in a draft agenda for the face-to-face meeting in Singapore. Based on that information the NRO EC should decide if there will a one or two days meeting.

11) AOB

a) Finalize NRO budget, taking into account request for 2 f2f by CGs

AP suggested adding the topic for the face-to-face meeting in Singapore and concluding budget discussion there.

b) IDEA / Ashton-Hart.

PW said that IDEA has been negotiating for a while with different RIR staff on offering services of covering Internet related meeting in Geneva. PW considered that current offer as reasonable and asked thoughts about the proposal.

AP suggested not including the contribution as part of the NRO budget. AP considered that the service is of beneficial use for all RIR. AP suggested receiving more information of the proposal and what entails.

JC said that in the case of ARIN was not sure of supporting the initiative as any external support as this should go through ARIN’s board approval.

EM agreed in not increasing NRO budget. EM said they like IDEA work but would like to receive more information on what are the expected services from them.

AA agreed with EM.

AP said that there is a general willingness to contribute to the initiative. AP said he would meet with IDEA in Singapore to pin down some of the details and is the scope of the service.

New Action Item 150120-08: AP to meet with IDEA staff in Singapore to establish details of the service proposal and report back to the NRO EC.

c) RIR Risk Management Matrix

JC reminded that he sent a draft to the list. JC suggested passing the document to the COO group so they could continue the work.

AA said he could make more contribution to the document content.

JC clarified that the document is a very first draft and it could be reformulated into something else.

AP suggested continuing the work in the list.

12) Adjourn

AP asked one by one of the NRO EC members if there were any other point to discuss, hearing none he moved to adjourn.

AP adjourned the meeting at 12:45 UTC

New Actions Items

New Action Item 150120-01: AP contact CRISP team to thank them for their work in the drafting of the Number Community proposal and communicate the expectation of the NRO EC to continue their work in the coming phases of the ICG consultations.

New Action Item 150120-02: AP to ask the legal team to start drafting the Number Community SLA considering community feedback.

New Action Item 150120-03: AP to send an email to Izumi Okutani, Nurani Nimpuno and Alan Barret and consult if they would be available to replace AA in the ICG. Based on the feedback the NRO EC to select a new Number Community representative in the ICG.

New Action Item 150120-04: GV to prepare a list of confirmed CCWG candidates based on ASO and NRO discussion and submit it to the EC list.

New Action Item 150120-05: AP to contact ISOC and look for an update about first I* meeting in 2015.

New Action Item 150120-06: AP to coordinate Louie Lee the 10 minutes ASO/NRO presentation to be delivered in ICANN meeting in Singapore.

New Action Item 150120-07: AP and GV to work in a draft agenda for the face-to-face meeting in Singapore. Based on that information the NRO EC should decide if there will a one or two days meeting.

New Action Item 150120-08: AP to meet with IDEA staff in Singapore to establish details of the service proposal and report back to the NRO EC.

Comments are closed.