21 May 2013

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 130122

Minutes

January 22, 2013 11:00 UTC
Teleconference

Executive Council Attendees:

Chairman: Paul Wilson (PW) APNIC
Secretary: Adiel Akplogan (AA) AFRINIC
Treasurer: Axel Pawlik (AP) RIPE NCC
Member: Raul Echeberria (RE) LACNIC
Member: John Curran (JC) ARIN

Observers:

Paul Rendek (PR) ARIN
Pablo Hinojosa (PH) APNIC
M Akinori (MA) APNIC
Hartmut Glaser (HG) LACNIC
Arturo Servin (AS) LACNIC
Anne-Rachel Inne (AR) AFRINIC

Apologies:

Paul Andersen

Secretariat:

Guylaine Mootoo (GM) AFRINIC Recording Secretary

1.0 Welcome, Apologies, Agenda Review

The Chair, Paul Wilson (PW) welcomed the Executive Council and Observers present online and opened the meeting at 12 06 UTC.

2.0 Approval of the last Minutes dated 18 December 2012

The minutes of the last NRO EC teleconference dated 18 December 2012 was approved with amendments. The Chair, PW requested the Secretariat to produce a shorter version of the minutes for publication on the NRO website and the name ‘Brad’ under Agenda Item 8.0 para 7 to be amended to ‘APNIC Staff’.

New Action Item 130122-01: The Secretariat to draft a shorter version of the minutes of the last NRO EC teleconference held on 18 December 2012 for publication on the website.

3.0 Review Action Items

A review of the Action Items pending to date were carried out and discussed as follows:

New Action Item 121218-01: The Chair to circulate the spreadsheet/ compilation of recommendations for the next steps the NRO to undertake in response to the ASO Review Report and will circulate to the Executive Council for review later this week.

Action Item 120907-03: JC to draft a communication to the Chair of the ASO AC to follow up ITEMS report recommendations 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 18, 19, 23 and Rec #1

Status: Action Item 121218-01 and Action Item 120907-03 are connected and to be kept ‘Pending’.

Action Item 121016-05: JC to coordinate with the EC to revise and approve the position description for the Executive Secretary role followed by a selection call for filling the position (involving ARIN, LACNIC and AFRINIC).

Status: Above Action Item to be kept ‘Opened’

Action Item 121120-01: NRO EC to review CCG2013 work plan.

Status: Completed. Above Action Item to be ‘Closed’.

Action Item 121120-02: NRO EC to review the ECG 2013 work plan.

Status: Completed. Above Action Item to be ‘Closed’.

Action item 121120-03: PW to draft a statement to the UN General Assembly about the NRO position that Enhanced Cooperation should not be delegated to a new working group, to be circulated to other I* members.

Status: Overtaken by time. Above Action Item to be ‘Closed’.

New Action Item 121218-02: The Chair to send an email to AP for his approval to translate the MoU and related policies documents in 6 languages at cost of over USD 8000 as joint NRO expense.

Status: Completed. Above Action Item to be ‘Closed’.

New Action Item 121218-03: The NRO EC to discuss the incorporation and future form of the NRO in the next face-to-face meeting.

Status: Above Action Item to be kept ‘Opened’ and added as an Agenda Item for discussion during the NRO EC Retreat in Singapore.

New Action Item 121218-04: The Chair to send an email to AP for his approval of the CCG Work Plan 2013 and authorisation to travel in February.

Status: Completed. Above Action Item to be ‘Closed’.

New Action Item 121218-05: The Chair to send an email to AP for his approval of the ECG Work Plan 2013.

Status: Completed. Above Action Item to be ‘Closed’.

New Action Item 121218-06: The NRO EC to look at the ICANN project regarding the GNSO ‘thick’ WHOIS Policy Development Process and to discuss the outcomes in the next teleconference call.

Status: Above Action Item to be ‘Opened’. Further discussion to be held later under the present Agenda Item No.8

4.0 PACG Report. (PACG Chair to lead)

Pablo Hinojosa (PH) made a brief on the PACG Report and activity plan for 2013. He also commented on the preparation for the WTPF and WSIS+10 meetings.

The EC discussed and agreed on the importance of enhancing coordination and information sharing with the PACG mainly on events and activities where the community presence and position are needed. PH agreed to produce a consolidated list of events for review during the next NRO EC Meeting.

New Action Item 130122-02: The PACG to produce a list of events for review during the next NRO EC Meeting.

5.0 RSM Report (RSM Chair to lead)

5.1 RSM Work Plan 2013

The Council discussed on the function of Chairman of the RSM and why it is not a rotating function as it was during previous years, and its current Charter. It was finally agreed to discuss this topic during upcoming retreat and see if there is any need to review their Charter.

New Action Item 130122-03: The Secretariat to add as an Agenda Item for the NRO EC Retreat, discussion on the Chairmanship of the RSM and its current Charter.

6.0 NRO EC Retreat

23 February 2013 (draft Agenda) and I*Leaders Meeting – 21 to 22 February 2013

The Chair PW invited inputs for the Agenda or any issues for discussion during the I*Leaders Meeting and the NRO EC Retreat in Singapore on the 23 February 2013 as well as for I*Leaders Meeting. The following topics were identified;

(i) Coordination Group Topic – the permanence of the structure and charter of the RSM Group
(ii) Executive Secretary position
(iii) NRO Incorporation
(iv) Items coming out of the I*Leaders’ Meeting
(v) post WCIT events
(vi) Arab RIR

Discussion on this item will continue online to finalise the agenda.

7.0 NRO EC 2013 Calendar of Meetings

TBC February 2013

The EC approved the Calendar of NRO EC Teleconference Meetings as from March 2013. Proposed by RE and seconded by PW. The February teleconference is cancelled due to most members traveling at the date of the planned meeting. However, discussion on any issues will be held online and if required, a meeting may be organised in Singapore before the Retreat.

8.0 GNSO ‘thick’ WHOIS Policy Development Process

It was agreed to close the Action Item on this issue and write a message to ICANN.

New Action Item 130122-04: The Chair PW to send a message as the NRO/ASO to ICANN indicated that the NRO/AS will not be sending specific input to the GNSO Policy Development Process on the ‘thick’ WHOIS, but we wish them the best on their efforts and will follow the process.

9.0 ICANN Accountability and Transparency Review Team #2

The EC discussed on the process to endorse one of the two candidates who forwarded their applications to ICANN. It was agreed that the Chair and AA to clarify what is the process, whether the NRO can leave the nomination to ICANN or need to select one candidate.

New Action Item 130122-05: The Chair PW and AA to clarify what is the process, whether the NRO can leave the nomination to ICANN or need to select one candidate.

10.0 Arab Region Internet Governance

Paul Rendek (PR) updated the EC on the status of the Arab Region Internet Governance as per his email circulated on the mailing list. It was suggested to bring the issue on the Agenda of the next I*Leaders meeting. AA updated the EC on the meeting held in Cairo and called by the NTRA (the Regulator of Egypt) and mentioned that the direction taken by the meeting is worrying and we should pay careful attention to how the ICP-2 requirements will be interpreted.

JC reminded that there is a teleconference scheduled for next week on Wednesday 30 January 2013 for discussion with ICANN on the Arab IGF. It will be an opportunity to raise some of the issues discussed and the non-respect of the ICP2 document.

11.0 WTPF: NRO response to latest SG report

The ITU Secretary General has released his first draft report and the deadline for comments is on the 1 February 2013. The Chair requested PH to work with the PACG on a response to be reviewed by email. PH agreed that he will be able to submit a report by end of next week.

New Action Item 130122-06: The PACG to work on a response for the WTPF first draft report of the Secretary General and submit a report by end of next week before the deadline of 1 February 2013.

12.0 IGF: NRO financial contribution in 2013

PW proposed that the NRO financial contribute to the IGF this year be equivalent to last year amount or increase to a higher figure. RE briefed on the upcoming MAG meeting in Paris and the ongoing discussion for the selection of the MAG Chairman (himself being candidate for the position). PW thanked him for his intervention and acknowledged that further discussion may proceed in Singapore.

13.0 NRO response to ICANN/IANA enquiry

The Chair forwarded the ICANN request for consultation on the Internet Number Resources Performance Standards. The current deadline for response has been extended to 28 February 2013. The Chair requested JC to look into the request and provide recommendations as appropriate to the EC.

New Action Item 130122-07: JC to look into the ICANN request for consultation on the Internet Number Resources Performance Standards and to provide recommendations as appropriate to the EC before the deadline of 28 February 2013.

14.0 Executive Secretary position – timetable

The EC discussed the recruitment of the Executive Secretary for the NRO and agreed that
to complete the process and appoint the Executive Secretary at least for this year, and then reconsider the position if the need arise for the long term.

New Action Item 130122-08: AA to coordinate and complete the process for the appointment of an Executive Secretary to the NRO EC. An online interview to be organised with the selected candidates. A doodle poll to be created to check the availability of CEOs involved in the interview panel and select appropriate dates to organise the online interview.

15.0 AOB

15.1 Participation of the NRO to the WSIS+10 event in Paris

End of February 2013

PH briefed on the two sessions to be held at the WSIS+10 on enhanced cooperation by ISOC and APNIC , and the constitution of the panel list for the APNIC session.

RE left the meeting at 13 19 UTC.

16.0 AOB

The Chair moved to adjourn the meeting at 13 57 UTC. Motion seconded by JC and AA.

Comments are closed.