16 July 2012

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 120515

Minutes

May 15, 2012
Teleconference

Executive Council Attendees:

  • Chairman: John Curran, JC CHAIR (ARIN)
  • Secretary: Paul Wilson, PW (APNIC) (with connectivity problems)
  • Members: Axel Pawlik, AP (RIPE NCC)

Secretariat:

  • Adam Gosling (APNIC)
  • Samantha Marks (APNIC)

Observers:

  • Nate Davis, ND (ARIN)
  • Pablo Hinojosa, PH (APNIC) (with connectivity problems)
  • Mark Kosters, MK (ARIN)
  • Leslie Nobile, LN (ARIN) (with connectivity problems)
  • Cathy Handley, CH (ARIN)

1. Welcome, Apologies, Agenda Review.

Noting that the meeting did not have a Quorum, the Chair proposed to start the meeting at 11:07 UTC.

2. Approval of the Minutes from meeting of 10 April 2012.

As there was no quorum the Chair deferred the approval of the minutes.

3. Review Action Items.

Action Item 111115-02: RSMs. Review free space smaller than /16 for redistribution, and provide recommendation to NRO EC.
LN confirmed this done, but that she was not sure if the report she had delivered met the needs required by the EC. There was a discussion about the requirements. LN explained that the report listed all prefixes less than /16 in all RIR’s at the time of the report. If the status at an earlier time was required, this would involve more work. RE explained that it was proposed by LACNIC, that this space be sent back to IANA to be managed under the new global policy. JC noted that this is what the RSM report recommends.

Action Closed.

The Chair asked that the action item be amended to say: All RIR execs to review the Analysis of Registry Address Holes report and be ready at the next call to accept, or comment on, the LACNIC proposal.

New Action Item 120515-01: EC Members should confirm they have received the RSM Analysis of Registry Address Holes and review it prior to making a decision on the issue at the next meeting.

Action item 120222-03: AP to work with ECG on a RPKI Plan

Action Closed. AP confirmed this was done.

Action item 120222-04: PW to amend text in travel policy to provide added travel organizational flexibility.

Action Pending.

Action item 120222-12: PW to update the NRO website with XCG Chair relevant policies and update mailing lists.

Action Pending.

Action item: 120410-01: CH to liaise with PACG to provide brief summary of how it engages w/ ISOC re: WCIT.

Action Open. JC noted that following a discussion with CH he felt the EC needed to provide input about how the PACG should engage with ISOC on this.

Action item: 120410-02: RE to prepare draft RPKI Direction Statement for consideration by RIRs.

RE asked if the Action could be amended, removed as it is a matter for the LACNIC Board, not a matter for the NRO EC. The Chair concurred and the action was closed as not needed.

Action Closed.

Action item: 120410-03: Secretariat to prepare an initial draft (points) of NRO recommendations for the ASO Review Report.

Action Closed.

Action item: 120410-04: AA to discuss cost of survey contribution with Maarten, report back to EC.

Action Closed.

Action item: 120410-05: Treasurer to ask for report from CFOs on expected expenses for each RIR under current distribution formula, to be discussed at next call.

Action Open.

Action item 120410-06: APNIC to suggest dates for a face to face meeting, including PACG, as the I* is directly following APNIC 34 in Phnom Penh, report back to EC.

Action Open.

Action item 120410-07: Chair to contact head of the GAC to conduct a RPKI report session in the next GAC meeting in Prague.

Action Closed.

The Chair reported this was done, but that the EC has not heard back as the GAC schedule is still in-flux. The GAC is expected to request a high-level informational about RPKI and trust anchors. There was a discussion about the preparation of materials. AP confirmed he was happy to contribute to the slide deck. JC notes that all regions have different POV and that needs to be

New Action Item 120515-02: Secretariat to prepare an initial draft of RPKI status slide deck to be circulated as a take-away for the GAC.

4. NRO Response to the first draft of ITU-SG WG report.

Connectivity problems prevented PW from taking the Agenda item, so the Chair explained that PW had circulated an email regarding a response to the first draft of the ITU Working Group Report. JC noted that four EC Members had provided agreement. RE added his agreement. The Chair raised a new action item.

New Action Item 120515-02: ARIN to send NRO response to first draft of ITU-SG WG report on behalf of the NRO.

5. RPKI next steps. (Following meeting with IANA)

JC noted that PW circulated a summary of the meeting and commented that he believed the NRO EC would need to meet in person to revise the individual RIR timelines for RPKI. Those present agreed, that the EC needs to prioritize a face-to-face meeting and that a schedule for this be agreed on the mailing list.

New Action Item 120515-03: EC members to use email to schedule a meeting to discuss RPKI implementation timelines.

6. ECG Report.

2012 ECG Work Plan Approval:
As there was no quorum, the Chair proposed to obtain consensus for work plan via email. He asked MK if there were any urgent matters. There were none.

New Action Item 120515-04: Chair to obtain consensus approval for ECG Work Plan via email vote.

7. RSM Report.

a. Various Registries Address space
b. 2012 RSM Work plan Approval

As there was no quorum, the Chair proposed to obtain consensus for work plan via email. He asked LN if there were any urgent matters. Connectivity problems prevented LN from replying.

New Action Item 120515-05: Chair to obtain consensus approval for RSM Work Plan via email vote.

8. PACG Report.

2012 PACG Charter Approval:
As there was no quorum, the Chair proposed to obtain consensus for PACG Charter via email.

New Action Item 120515-06: Chair to obtain consensus approval for 2012 PACG Charter via email vote.

9. CCG Report.

No report.

10. Any Other Business.

JC informed the meeting the NRO was asked by IANA if it would submit another Questionnaire of Past Performance in support of the re-issued IANA functions RFP. He explained that the NRO had done this for the first submission and asked if there were any objections to doing this again. There were none.

New Action Item 120515-07: Chair to obtain consensus approval, via email vote, for the NRO to provide a Questionnaire of Past Performance in support of ICANN’s submission to the NTIA IANA Functions RFP.

ND provided an informational item in the absence of the CCG Chair:
Please note the NRO Key Messages document circulated to the list is the latest version following input from NRO EC members.

RE asked for clarification regarding the proposed face-to-face meeting to discuss RPKI schedules and requested that a time be organized with the assistance of each Executives’ secretary.

11. Adjournment.

Noting that there was no other business, the Chair adjourned the meeting at 11.47 UTC.

Comments are closed.