ICANN’s Nominating Committee (NomCom) is responsible for the selection of eight ICANN Board Members, two Public Technical Identifiers (PTI) directors, and other selections as set forth in the ICANN Bylaws.
The NomCom is also charged with appointing some members of ALAC, the ccNSO Council, and the GNSO Council. The NomCom complements the other means for filling a portion of key ICANN leadership positions achieved within ICANN Supporting Organizations and Advisory Councils.
The Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC) is pleased to call for nominations for candidates from the Internet Numbers Community to run for an open seat on the ICANN NomCom 2022 as delegate of the ASO.
The term for the elected delegate will be one year starting in the Annual General Meeting ICANN 72 in October 2021.
Specific criteria and requirements regarding the NomCom composition and NomCom delegates are outlined in Article 8, Sections 8.2 and 8.4 of the ICANN Bylaws (https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en/#article8).
Criteria for the selection of the delegate to the NomCom include:
- Accomplished persons of integrity, objectivity, and intelligence, with reputations for sound judgment and open minds, and with experience and competence with collegial large group decision-making;
- Persons with wide contacts, broad experience in the Internet community, and a commitment to the success of ICANN;
- Persons whom the selecting body is confident will consult widely and accept input in carrying out their responsibilities;
- Persons who are neutral and objective, without any fixed personal commitments to individuals, organizations, or commercial objectives in carrying out their Nominating Committee responsibilities;
- Persons with an understanding of ICANN’s mission and the potential impact of ICANN’s activities on the broader Internet community who are willing to serve as volunteers, without compensation other than the reimbursement of certain expenses; and
- Persons who are able to work and communicate in written and spoken English.
Time Commitment for the ASO NomCom Representative
In 2021, due to COVID19, NomCom has only conducted online meetings, and this may continue in 2022 unless and until it is safe to travel. Online meetings take more time per week as compared to in-person meetings. Please review the time commitments in view of COVID19. In case global travel resumes and there is an in-person meeting, travel support will be provided by ICANN. The NomCom has a procedure document that provides additional information about the work of the NomCom.
The person should be able to join (in person – ONLY when it is safe to travel and travel restrictions are lifted) three ICANN meetings (ICANN 72, 73 and 74) and an intersessional meeting (location to be decided by NomCom 2021).
- ICANN72 – Annual General Meeting (23rd), 23-28 October 2021, Seattle, NA
- ICANN73 – Community Forum, 5-10 March 2022, San Juan, NA
- NomCom Intercessional – Assessment meeting – TBD April 2022 – (Location TBD)
- ICANN74 – Policy Forum, 13-16 June 2022, The Hague, EUR
Deadlines and Important Dates
The ASO AC will be responsible for the selection of the delegate based on the following timeline:
- Announcement of call for nominations for 2021 ICANN NomCom: 28 May 2021
- Nomination period ends: 27 June 2021
- Evaluation of nominations by the ASO AC: 28 June 2021 – 8 July 2021
- Voting period by the ASO AC: 9 July 2021 – 15 July 2021
- Announcement of selected delegate: around 16 July 2021.
Nominations should be sent to secretariat [at] aso [dot] icann [dot] org by 27 June 2021 23:59 UTC, along with answers to the following questions (all questions are mandatory). A CV may also be provided.
- Have you read the time commitment for NomCom and are you willing to commit the time required to fulfil this role?
- Have you been part of NomCom in the past representing any other constituency?
- How many ICANN/RIR meetings you have attended in last five years? Which SOs/ACs do you actively follow?
- Please briefly share why do you would like to join NomCom as the ASO-AC appointee.
Last modified on 27/05/2021