20 December 2016

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 161124

Minutes of the NRO EC Teleconference meeting Thursday 24 November 2016 at 11:00 AM UTC

Executive Council:

Oscar Robles (OR) LACNIC Chair
John Curran (JC) ARIN Secretary
Alan Barrett (AB) AFRINIC
Axel Pawlik (AP) RIPE NCC

Observers:

Nate Davis (ND) ARIN
Pablo Hinojosa (PH) APNIC
Sanjaya (SS) APNIC
Carlos Martinez (CM) LACNIC
Kevon Swift (KS) LACNIC

Apologies
Paul Wilson APNIC

Secretariat:
German Valdez (GV) NRO

Agenda NRO EC Teleconference 24 November 2016

0. Welcome
1. Agenda Review
2. Minutes Review
a) October 2016
3. ICANN
a) CCWG Stream 2
b) gTLD Auction Proceeds CCWG Charter
c) WHOIS Review Representatives
d) PTI Budget
4. ASO Review
5 IGF Preparations
a) IGF f2f Meeting Agenda
b) I* Agenda Discussion
i) Implications of the DYN attacks
ii) Outcomes of the WTSA
iii) IPv6: what further actions are needed
iv) Name, description and future of “I*”
6. RPKI 0/0 Status
7 NRO EC 2017 transition of roles
8. CG / Input Consultation
9. Review Open Actions
10. Next Meeting
a) Teleconference Scheduled on Tuesday 20 December
11. AOB
12. Adjourn

0 Welcome

OR welcomed all participants and acknowledged PW apologies for not being present in the meeting. OR started the teleconference at 11:05 AM UTC

OR recommended that any new topics could be discussed during the face-to-face meeting in Guadalajara.

1 Agenda Review

AB asked to include the ASO AC procedures topic in today agenda.

OR agreed to include it as point 4 of the agenda.

2 Minutes Review

a) October 2016

GV reported that JC was pending to send comments to the minutes.

JC said he would be sending his feedback soon.

3 ICANN

a) CCWG Stream 2

JC said that the status reported by Athina Fragkouli in the past was still applicable. JC said that any accountability discussions regarding the ASO should be limited in scope to the ASO’s ICANN duties only.

GV said that he would follow up with Athina the completion of the CCWG S2 accountability subgroup survey document in time for the NRO EC meeting in Guadalajara.

b) gTLD Auction Proceeds CCWG Charter

OR reminded about PW communications in the EC list about the matter.

PH reminded about PW report of the gtLD auction proceeds CCWG charter meetings during ICANN 57 in Hyderabad.

AB said that the EC agreed to join the committee and appoint the representatives. AB requested to include this topic in the meeting in Guadalajara.

c) WHOIS Review Representatives

OR said that he was working with Louie Lee to define the appointments to the ICANN Directory Services Review Group and the Empowered Community representatives.

OR said that those appointments could reach a conclusion during the meeting in Guadalajara.

d) PTI Budget

JC suggested adding a topic in the agenda for Guadalajara meeting regarding NRO reimbursement amount to the PTI

4 ASO AC Procedures

AB asked to have the track changes version of the ASO procedures document. AB said that he supported the intention behind the changes but it was difficult to review the details of the new procedures without track changes document.

OR agreed. OR said that PW also had the same problem.

GV said that he’d follow up with the ASO AC to have the track changes document available for the NRO EC.

OR expected to have something to review in advance of the meeting in Guadalajara.

5 ASO Review

OR asked GV for any consultations regarding ASO review RFP after the announcement.

GV said that no request has been received so far. GV confirmed that ICANN staff received the information and it was announced by ICANN.

GV asked to discuss more about the operational aspects of the ASO review in Guadalajara meeting.

OR agreed to discuss it during the face-to-face meeting in Guadalajara.

6 IGF Preparations

a) IGF f2f Meeting Agenda

OR asked if a full day meeting was required for the face-to-face meeting in Guadalajara.

JC recommended a full day scheduled.

AB agreed with JC.

JC suggested discussing during the face-to-face meeting about the structure of future collaboration with ICANN.

b) I* Agenda Discussion

OR asked for any comments for the I* meeting agenda.

AP and JC agreed with the proposed agenda meeting.

PH reminded about PW message regarding the importance to discuss the future of I* meetings.

AP and JC agreed and shared PW’s comments regarding the I* meetings.

7. RPKI 0/0 Status

CM reported that the ECG was evaluating the action about the implementation of the 0/0 validation document.

CM said that the ICANN committee on root zone evolution was about to start their meetings. CM commited to report back to the NRO EC about their initial discussions.

New Action Item 161124-01 CM to report to the NRO EC about the initial discussions on ICANN Committee on root zone evolution.

8 NRO EC 2017 transition roles

GV suggested adding the 2017 roles to the NRO account aliases (Chair, Secretary and Treasurer) starting on 1 December so the CEO performing the NRO roles in 2017 start to become familiar with the topics sent to the NRO account aliases with one month in advance before they start officially on 1 January. GV suggested doing the same with the chairs of the CG.

OR mentioned that there are still problems in ICANN distribution list as it some cases they include the individual RIR CEO email account.

OR said he would forward to GV all the mailing list that are including his personal LACNIC account.

GV said that it’s been an on going effort to request ICANN to include the NRO aliases instead of the individual RIR CEO accounts.

New Action Item 161124-02 OR to forward GV all ICANN mailing list that are still including OR personal account

New Action Item 161124-03 GV to follow up with ICANN to update those mailing including OR personal account to the NRO chair alias account.

9. CG / Input Consultation

KS reported about the ongoing coordination work with Nick Ashton-Hart.

GV reported about the CFO meeting in Canberra; he mentioned they worked in the 2016 budget execution review document and the first draft of the 2017 NRO budget. GV said he’d send the documents in advance of the NRO EC meeting in Guadalajara.

GV reported about the coordination between ARIN and APNIC for the transition of the NRO Secretariat. GV confirmed that everything was on track and the official transition would occur on 1 December.

10. Review Open Actions

Action Item 161027-01 AF in coordination with RIR staff to create a matrix document with the accountability questions that should have a procedure to comply with ASO powers and duties in ICANN

OPEN

Action Item 161027-02 OR to inform the ASO AC that the NRO EC would handle ICANN appointments temporarily until the appropriate procedures are in place. Communication will include the matrix document mention on action 161027-01.

OPEN

OR confirmed that Louie Lee was ok with the NRO EC approach to make temporarily appointments. OR suggested to keep the action open until is fully completed.

Action Item 161027-03 PW to find out the details on how the NRO can join the gTLD Auction Proceeds CCWG including the number of representative to appoint.

DONE

Action Item 161027-04 OR to share the content of the letter to Larry Stickling in the IANA XFER Mailing list.

DONE

OR confirmed that he sent the content of the letter to the XFER mailing list.

Action Item 161027-05 GV to organize the publication of the letter to Larry Strickling in the NRO website.

Status: OPEN

Action Item 161027-06 PW to present the letter to Larry Strickling during ICANN 57 meeting in Hyderabad.

CLOSED.

Action Item 161027-07 CM (or ECG Chair) to collaborate with the RSCG in the establishment of a set of RPKI adoption matrix for the use of regular reporting.

OPEN

Action Item 161027-08 OR to inform the RC to prepare to have their first meeting around ICANN meeting in Copenhagen so they can define their leadership roles and expect to have their first around mid year 2017.

OPEN

Action Item 161027-09 GV to prepare final version of the ASO Review RFP document and prepare the public announcement during the ICANN Meeting in Hyderabad.

DONE

Action Item 161027-09 GV to prepare a first agenda draft for the NRO EC face-to-face meeting in IGF

DONE

Action Item 160920-01 CCG to coordinate with Carlos Reyes to provide to ICANN CEO with IPv6 Talking points.

DONE

Action Item 160920-02 AF to send a list of outstanding documents to complete the RIR Governance Matrix.

GV confirmed that AF sent the list to the NRO EC list.

The NRO EC agreed to request an updated version of the list.

JC suggested adding the review of the governance matrix to the EC meeting in Guadalajara.

OPEN

Action Item 160816-02 GV to follow up with each RIR the confirmation of their last version of the public accountability report and coordinate the joint report publication.

GV confirmed the information has been published in the NRO website in the about section.

DONE

Action Item 160816-03 JC to provide comments to the ASO Review RFP document so this is aligned with ASO specific relationship with ICANN

DONE

Action Item 160816-04 OR once the ASO review RFP is published to send an email to ICANN board informing them about the NRO plan for the ASO review.

OPEN

Action Item 160719-01 after August 12th, GV to follow up and coordinate with all RIR the publication and announcement of the RC members in the NRO website and RIR websites.

DONE

Action Item 141018-03: AF and RIR Legal Team to include Governing Board Structure, Budget and Activity Approval, Fee Approval and Bylaw/Operational Document Control information to the RIR Governance Matrix.

OPEN
Action Item 141018-04: AF and RIR Legal team based on the RIR Governance Matrix propose to the NRO EC those areas where could be consolidation or harmonization among the RIR.

OPEN

Action Item 160316-01 OR to ask Elise Gerich regarding the IANA communications to any technical coordination list about special allocations to the IETF that could be used by the RIR to inform their communities.

OR reminded that he shared in the EC list the format to include in the communication of the special allocation. OR asked to send comments if any on the list.

IN PROGRESS

11. Next Meetings

a) Teleconference Scheduled on Tuesday December 20th

Stay on scheduled.

12. AOB

No other items were discussed.

13. Adjourn

OR thanked the participants and adjourned the meeting at 12:20 PM UTC

Comments are closed.