3 April 2014

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 131217

Minutes

December 17, 2013
Teleconference 11:00 AM UTC 

Executive Council Attendees:

Chairman: Paul Wilson (PW) APNIC
Acting Chairman: Adiel Akplogan (AA) AFRINIC
Treasurer: Axel Pawlik (AP) RIPE NCC
Member: John Curran (JC) ARIN
Member: Raul Echeberria (RE) LACNIC

 Observers:

Anne Rachel Inne (ARI) AFRINIC
Neriah Sossou (NS) AFRINIC
Paul Andersen (PA) ARIN
Nate Davis (ND) ARIN
Leslie Nobile (LN) ARIN
Byron Ellacott (BE) APNIC
Pablo Hinojosa (PH) APNIC
Maemura Akinori APNIC
Ernesto Majo (EM) LACNIC
Arturo Servin (AS) LACNIC
Hartmut Glaser (HG) LACNIC
Andrew de la Haye (AH) RIPE NCC
Paul Rendek (PR) RIPE NCC

Secretariat:

Guylaine Mootoo (GM) AFRINIC
German Valdez (GV) NRO

The Secretariat encountered some technical issues to connect Paul Wilson (PW) by telephone to the meeting (11:00 – 11:12 AM UTC). PW joined in at 11:15 AM UTC and advised that due to the communication problem, it will be most appropriate to chair the meeting by Adiel Akplogan (AA).

0) Welcome

AA welcomed the members present online and opened the meeting at 11: 22 UTC.

1) Agenda Review

AA queried on the availability of Agenda and same was not circulated on the mailing list. German Valdez (GV) explained that topics were asked in the EC list but there were no specific topics except to discuss for the preparations of the next I* Leaders teleconference coming Thursday.

2) Approval of Minutes

GV mentioned that minutes from EC face-to-face meeting in Buenos Aires are pending for distribution.

3) Review Action Items

AA also requested the list of pending Action Items from last NRO EC meetings to be circulated.

4) I* Coordination on Thursday 19 Dec 2013

AA stated that one of the main topics that will be probably for discussion is the High Level Panel meeting that happened in London, the /1net initiative, the Brazilian meeting, and the outcomes of the working group on ICANN and IANA Functions.

AA invited any other topics that the EC may feel will be discussed in the said meeting.

There were no further comments by the EC.

AA advised the EC that he has a comment on the appointment of the nominees for the various committees with regards to the Brazil meeting and /1net. He apprised the EC of his concern and disappointment on the contents of the document circulated on the EC mailing list, whereby the document does not include all the committees that has to be constituted before the Brazil meeting as per discussion held during ICANN meeting, and the time frame is being set for January 2014. AA stated that it was not done correctly.

John Curran (JC)agreed to AA and advised that he was also surprise to the timeline being in January and the Technical Community should not be seen as holding back the process, and being late in the nomination.

AA added that as part of the technical community, we are sending a very wrong message and there has been no communication to change the deadline to January 2014. He outlined that if there was an issue with the timeframe and needed to request a delay, the technical community should have send a communication on the /1net list.

Anne-Rachel Inne (ARI) intervened and explained that German Valdez (GV) and herself are on the Nomination Committee and briefed on the chronology of events leading to why and how the document was sent to the mailing list. There were questions from the Nomination Committee on what are the profiles of people that should be looking for and the work to be carried out. NomCom Chair and ISOC staff drafted the nomination call paper and the deadline was put to January 2014 in order for the NomCom to have enough time to distribute the nomination call and select the best candidates.

GV explained that NomCom Chair sent the first email about this selection process last week. Since then the NomCom has worked in define the call for nomination document and that the first concern of the NomCom members was to meet the 21 of December deadline so it was extended to early January. GV stated that a decision should be reached now because ISOC will start the nomination call shortly.

AA proposed to GV to inform NomCom Chair and ISOC Staff on NRO EC concerns (include all committees in the nomination call for Brazil Meeting and adjust the deadline for the submission of nominees from Technical community).

ARI said that there is a misunderstanding and breach of communication, and that GV and herself were of the view that NomCom Chair was in communication with the I* leaders prior to liaising with the NomCom members.

GV advised that the reason he shared the document was to double check NomCom actions and highlight that such NomCom plan was going on and what was the views of the EC on it.

Hartmut Glaser (HG) informed he is a member of the organisation committee in Brazil and the Committee is still waiting for names to be submitted by the different groups. He proposed that a message should be sent on all the mailing list available, signed by ISOC, NRO, the Brazil committee, etc; to all the entities to bring together all the participants for the committees.

AA pointed out that the confusion is also coming from the first press release that was sent on the numbers of nominees and committees that are to be constituted and there was no formal announcement / new press release to send the new information as per discussions held. HG agreed that new press release with the final information should be sent.

New Action Item 171213-01 AR and GV to communicate the NRO EC concerns regarding Technical Community Nomination Call for Brazil Meeting to the NomCom Chair and involved ISOC staff.

JC suggested that a message be sent to the I* mailing list asking to have a common understanding of what are the I* expectations with regards to the /1net and Brazil meeting be a priority item on the agenda for discussion in the meeting scheduled for Thursday.

Raul Echeberria (RE) and AA agreed to JC.

Axel Pawlik (AP) agreed to JC.

Paul Wilson (PW) joined on 11: 50 UTC and also agreed to the proposal.

AA briefed that the high level panel meeting that happened in London could also be an agenda item to the I* meeting. AA will share the press release after the London meeting and the outcomes with the EC list

AA asked JC to share any updates on the Working Group of IANA functions and progress to be discussed tomorrow.

JC briefed on the progress made so far in the working Group and the agreement with ICANN that PW is working on the NRO and ICANN relationship. JC stated that all organizations should understand on the clauses and agree on the general approach of working with ICANN.

AA added that it was agreed in the last f2f meeting that as soon as a final draft were ready that our different legal Counsel should look into it to have an understanding of all the legal implications within the agreement before agreed with ICANN.

PW said that the agreement is only a draft that need feedback, and it is not a final document to be sent to ICANN for their feedback.

AA pointed out that there was so far only informal discussion with ICANN on the agreement and asked if a formal letter can be sent to ICANN and outlined the position of the NRO on the agreement.

RE pointed out that signing the document may create some issues in the future with the evolution of the IANA functions.

AP said that he presented the document to RIPE NCC Board and they also had some apprehensions for the future with the evolution of the IANA functions and an open-ended agreement will be most appropriate whereby the NRO can revert back if the situation changes.

The EC discussed the implication and impact of the contract between ICANN and NRO.

RE proposed to have an informal meeting with the people appointed by ICANN and to assess their point of views on the issue.

AA advised that he has to adjourn the meeting and to continue discussion on the mailing list and to call for another NRO EC meeting next week to consider the outstanding topics and action items.

New Action Item 171213-02 GV to do a doodle poll in order to schedule the time and date of second NRO EC December meeting.

New Action Item 171213-03 GV to do a list of urgent items that should be considered and close for the year. Add those to the agenda of second NRO EC December meeting.

5.0 Adjournment

Meeting ended 12:29 PM UTC

Comments are closed.