3 April 2014

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 131119

Minutes

November 19, 2013
Face to Face meeting 9:30 AM Buenos Aires, Argentina 

Executive Council Attendees:

Chairman: Paul Wilson (PW) APNIC
Secretary: Adiel Akplogan (AA) AFRINIC
Treasurer: Axel Pawlik (AP) RIPE NCC
Member: John Curran (JC) ARIN
Member: Raul Echeberria (RE) LACNIC

 Observers:

Anne Rachel Inne (ARI) AFRINIC – Via Webex
Paul Andersen (PA) ARIN
Nate Davis (ND) ARIN
Pablo Hinojosa (PH) APNIC
Maemura Akinori APNIC
Ernesto Majo (EM) LACNIC
Hartmut Glaser (HG) LACNIC
Paul Rendek (PR) RIPE NCC – Via Webex

Secretariat:

Vymala Thuron (VT) AFRINIC
German Valdez (GV) NRO

0) Welcome

The Chair, Paul Wilson (PW) welcomed the Executive Council and the Observers present in the meeting and opened the session at 9:39 AM Buenos Aires time.

1) Agenda Review

PW suggested changes and additions in the draft agenda circulated in advance in the NRO EC list. As result the following agenda was agreed by the NRO EC members to be discussed in the November 19th 2013 morning session.

0. Welcome
1. Agenda Review
2. NRO-ICANN relationship
a) Follow up presentation from Bali
b) Design team progress
3. Follow up Montevideo Statement
a) I* meeting follow-up
b) Brazil meeting
4. Infographic RIR System Review
5. Agenda ICANN EC Board

2) NRO – ICANN Relationship

a) Follow Up IANA Design Presentation from Bali

PW briefed that this point would be a recap of the discussions in Bali regarding the set of relationship among the NRO, ICANN, IANA, IAB, etc. Discussion was based on PW presentation including John Curran’s (JC) remarks.

JC mentioned that the relationship with IANA should be a contractual relationship. JC emphasized that is relevant to keep a single contractual service with a single party to maintain a unique registry.

RE made an observation that the current system works well because only the RIR communities decide what actions can be taken over the Internet number space hold by IANA and we should be careful in altering this balance by adding faculties to IANA through a new contract. He advised the EC should consider this risk.

Due to technical difficulties, at this point (10:00 AM Buenos Aires time) Anne Rachel Inne (ARI) and Paul Rendek (PR) joined the meeting via teleconference.

PW mentioned that APNIC legal counsel suggests that contract may be governed by the laws of the country in which will be incorporated. Finally PW volunteered to draft an agreement based on the analysis already made internally by APNIC.

New Action Item 191113-01 PW to prepare a draft ICANN/IANA agreement for the review of the NRO EC.

RE suggested that the legal team review the draft before being shared with ICANN.

b) Design Team Progress

JC reported on the progress of the work of the Design Team. JC mentioned that the goal of team is to develop a plan, via a set of arrangements, to strengthen the oversight of the performance of the registry functions at IANA and eliminate the influence of a single government. JC mentioned that one of the deliverables is a list of relations and agreements that need to be reviewed and formalize if the IANA contract with USG stops.

JC explained that are currently 7 agreements that should be reviewed in order to replace the IANA contract with USG. JC said that first we should have clear recognition of the DNS Registry Authority delegated by IAB/IETF to ICANN (minus technical/specialized DNS zones) and regarding of IP Address Space to have a General Purpose Registry Authority delegated by IAB/IETF to NRO (minus technical/specialized IP address blocks) subsequently new agreements should take place, three different IAB/IETF contracts with ICANN to perform IANA registry tasks for protocol parameter, IP address (technical specialized space) and the root zone (technical / specialized zones), a NRO contract with ICANN to perform IANA registry for IP address space (general purpose) and finally a contract with ICANN to maintain DNS Root Zone.

JC clarified that is not in the scope of the Design Team to discussed if the 2 delegations of authority are permanent or to allow re delegation or not, JC stated that such aspect should be discussed by the I* CEOs.

RE observed that people and governments would question this change so the NRO EC should be ready to argument and support the results of the Design Team. RE mentioned that the new system should be transparent and accountable.

JC said the result of the Design team should include a reproduction of the current system without the USG, formalization of the relationships, scope only and exclusively in critical internet resources and a list of visible oversight improvements.

RE suggested to prepare some talking points or common speech as soon as we engage in the Brazil meeting more question will come up.

New Action Item 191113-02 JC and PH to prepare some talking points on the work of Design Team in preparation for Brazil Meeting.

New Action Item 191113-03 RE put some questions together on the work of the Design Team to have a new round of brainstorming in preparation of Brazil meeting.

3) Follow Up Montevideo Statement

a) I* Meeting Follow Up

b) Brazil Meeting

AA reported the /1net website is currently under construction by ICANN staff. AA was concern on the time constraints and the need of offer information to the community.

PR suggested that the NRO should offer more clarity on the goals and directions after the Montevideo Statement and the coming Brazil meeting

JC expressed some concerns on the technical problems behind the /1net website like the lack of IPv6 access, domain transfer, etc. JC suggested that the NRO should take control of the technical/operational aspects until more decisions are made on the content.

PW Agreed.

PW suggested to move to the next topic of the Agenda due to time constraints.

4. Infographic RIR System Review

PW briefed that ICANN staff is working in an infographic representation of the ASO, NRO, ICANN and the Internet ecosystem. They requested a session with the NRO EC to receive feedback.

PW considered that it was not a big efforts and the EC should welcome ICANN request to contribute to this effort. PW shared some ideas on how to improve the current infographic representation model shared previously by ICANN.

PW adjourned the meeting at 11:11 AM Buenos Aires time and suggested to continue the meeting in the afternoon session.

Minutes

NRO EC face-to-face meeting held on 19 November 2013 at 3:15 PM Buenos Aires, Argentina Time

Executive Council:

Chairman: Paul Wilson (PW) APNIC
Secretary: Adiel Akplogan (AA) AFRINIC
Treasurer: Axel Pawlik (AP) RIPE NCC
Member: John Curran (JC) ARIN
Member: Raul Echeberria (RE) LACNIC

Observers:

Anne-Rachel Inne (ARI) AFRINIC – Via Webex
Paul Andersen (PA) ARIN
Nate Davis (ND) ARIN
Pablo Hinojosa (PH) APNIC
Maemura Akinori (MA) APNIC
Hartmut Glaser (HG) LACNIC
Paul Rendek (PR) RIPE NCC – Via Webex

Secretariat:

Vymala Thuron (VT) AFRINIC
German Valdez (GV) NRO

PW welcomed the afternoon session and proposed to continue the agenda with Brazil Meeting discussion.

3) Follow Up Montevideo Statement (Cont)

a) I* Meeting Follow up

AA suggested to eliminate this point of the agenda as the scheduled session with I* tomorrow morning was canceled.

ND mentioned the session was cancel because ICANN needs to organize a new session to receive feedback from the community in regards to Brazil meeting.

b) Brazil Meeting (Cont)

RE reminded to the EC that Technical community people should be nominated to the steering and high-level committees for Brazil meeting. RE advised that he is planning to travel to Sao Paulo next week to participate of the Brazil Meeting press conference.

AA clarified that the committee structure is not fixed in stone and it’s open for discussion.

HG mentioned he received 2 proposals to postpone the press conference. He stated that we should wait for the ICANN feedback session tomorrow morning before doing further decisions.

AP suggested that the NRO EC should be associated with CGI and Brazil.

PW Agreed.

HG suggested to RE to do the trip and if the scenario of not having a press conference they can use the time to meet with Fadi Chehade to prepare next steps in the preparations of the meeting.

PW suggested to adjourn and reconvene tomorrow Wednesday November 20th 3:00 PM.

Comments are closed.