29 November 2013

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 130820

Minutes

August 20, 2013
Teleconference 11:00 AM UTC

Executive Council Attendees:

Treasurer: Axel Pawlik (AP) RIPE NCC – Acting Chair
Member: John Curran (JC) ARIN
Member: Raul Echeberria (RE) LACNIC

Apologies:

Adiel Akplogan (AA) AFRINIC
Paul Wilson (PW) APNIC

Observers:

Byron Ellacott (BE) APNIC
Pablo Hinojosa (PH) APNIC
Ernesto Majo (EM) LACNIC
Anne-Rachel Inne (AR) AFRINIC

Secretariat:

Guylaine Mootoo (GM) AFRINIC Recording Secretary
German Valdez (GV) NRO

1. Welcome, Apologies, Agenda Review

The Executive Secretary, German Valdez (GV) opened the meeting at 11 10 UTC. He informed the EC that the Chair Paul Wilson (PW) has sent apologies since he is presently traveling to China. GV also highlighted that the agenda are only suggestions made at his end and it has not been approved on the mailing list.

Anne-Rachel Inne also explained that Adiel Akplogan will also not join the meeting, she suggested that one of the other CEOs chair the meeting or GV going through the meeting.

John Curran (JC) proposed that as current NRO treasurer Axel Pawlik (AP) act as Chair of the present meeting, approved by the EC.

AP formally opened the meeting and invited any comments or addendum to the proposed agenda.

Raul Echeberria (RE) proposed to discuss the funding of IGF under Agenda Item No 7. GV informed that he has circulated a note prior to the start of the meeting on the mailing list with regards to NRO EC authorization to sponsor the travel of 3 speakers to IGF and same to be discussed under Agenda Item No 7.

2. Approval of Minutes.

The EC approved the minutes  of the NRO EC meeting dated 16 July 2013 as proposed by the Secretariat.

New Action Item 130820-01 Secretariat to post in the NRO website NRO EC minutes of July 16th 2013 meeting.

3. Review Action Items

Action Item 130716-01: Secretariat. Remove Paragraphs 4c and 8 and publish NRO EC June Teleconference in the NRO Website.

Status: Action Item to be closed. Completed

Action Item 130716-02: AP. To develop a public correspondence to IANA/ICANN highlighting that the NRO is supporting IANA on the test bed for RPKI but making clear it entails a long timeline for the testing and preparation phases for the system to be stable before it is deployed.

Status: Action Item to be closed. Completed

Action Item 130716-03: PW to request to the CFO to add in the agenda for their September retreat the analysis of different scenarios to the NRO Expense Formula and deliver a report with recommendations by the time of the NRO EC retreat in Montevideo.

Status: Action Item to be closed. GV advised that the CFOs have been informed on these requests and they will add it on their agenda during their retreat in Amsterdam and present their findings for discussion in Montevideo.

RE pointed out that it should be made clear to the CFOs that they should submit their report prior to the EC retreat and relevant scenarios to facilitate decision making during the NRO EC Retreat.

Action Item 130716-04: PW to re-confirm dates in I* mailing list for the retreat and trigger discussions on agenda preparations.

Status: Action item to be closed. Completed

Action Item 130716-05: PH to follow up in the OECD mailing list the NRO willingness to contribute in the order of 2500 USD to the OECD IPv6 Study.

Status: Action item to be closed. Completed

Action Item 130716-06: PW to propose to the I* Meeting Agenda the topic on the new charter for the Internet Technical Advisory Group (ITAG)

Status: Action Item to be closed. Completed. RE advised to have a more generic discussion on alternatives for coordination mechanisms among the Internet Organizations.

Action Item 130716-07: PW to draft a public response to the ICANN Geographic Regions Working Group report to clarify the RIRs regional process and relationships within our geographical regions

Status: Action item to be closed. Completed

4. Distribution of NRO Expenses.

JC stated that some proposals need to be elaborated with respect to the current formula of calculating the distribution of NRO expenses. Furthermore, he added that ARIN have no objection to revisit the formula but has to understand what are the alternatives to approve. AP, for RIPE NCC, agreed to JC’s comments.

RE suggested that the CFO should work in a projection on how much will be the expenses of the NRO by the end of this year and also 2014.

The EC agreed to add the distribution formula for NRO expenses and the methods of budgeting as an Agenda Item in the retreat agenda and to request that the CFO work out how much will be the NRO expenses for this year 2013 and 2014.

New Action Item 130820-02: AP to request to the CFO to work in a NRO expenses projection for 2013 and present a 2014 budget with proposed budgeting methodology by the time of NRO EC retreat in October in Montevideo.

5. ICANN Meeting Strategy Working Group

GV briefed that there was a teleconference between ICANN Meeting Strategy Working Group Paul Wilson and Louie Lee. It was noted that the idea is for ICANN is to have a more regional based operations and to work more within our regions in line with the strategy. The RIRs should follow closely the discussions and it represents an opportunity to work with ICANN if they want to change their model of meetings. GV added that the RIRs should follow closely this issue and further discuss with ICANN in Montevideo

6. I* Agenda

AP advised that Lynn St Amour is preparing a consolidated list of Agenda and invited the EC to review and make appropriate comments or addendum to Lynn St Amour.

7. IGF in Bali

7.1 Extra Funding

AP informed that it has not yet been considered by the RIPE NCC Board, and waiting for approval.

RE proposed to deal with the extra funding separately from the NRO common expenses but as individual RIRs. LACNIC can contribute 5000 USD and RE queried on how much each RIR can spend, then if the money can be collected and contributed to the IGF.

JC also informed the ARIN Board has a strategy workshop last week and discuss the IGF contribution issue. It is noted that there is some concern that additional support to IGF might not be well understood and lead to an expectation of greater support every year. There is the need for transparency with the funding of IGF Bali.

The NRO has already made a contribution, additional funding can be done jointly if all the RIRs has the same message for transparency. RE and AP agreed with JC on the need to express transparency.

JC also added that the Board has directed him to draft a message from ARIN to the IGF Secretariat and may extend same for the NRO.

7.2. Request to Fund Speakers from the NRO

GV sent to the EC mailing list a list of speakers for IGF Bali that could be funded by the NRO and the approval of the EC is sought.

The EC agreed to the request made for the NRO to sponsor the travel of 3 speakers to IGF Bali.

GV also briefed on the logistics to coordinate the travel of these people and proposed that each RIR which nominated the persons can take charge of the respective travel logistics, and the expenses be transferred to the NRO.

8. AOB

Meeting ended at 11:41 UTC hrs

Comments are closed.