30 August 2013

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 130716

Minutes

July 16, 2013
Teleconference 11:00 AM UTC

Executive Council Attendees:

Chairman: Paul Wilson (PW) APNIC
Treasurer: Axel Pawlik (AP) RIPE NCC
Member: John Curran (JC) ARIN
Member: Raul Echeberria (RE) LACNIC

Apologies:

Adiel Akplogan (AA) AFRINIC

Observers:

Byron Ellacott (BE) APNIC
Bhadrika Magan (MG) APNIC
Sanjaya (SS) APNIC
Pablo Hinojosa (PH) APNIC
Akinori Maemura (AM) APNIC
Paul Rendek (PR) RIPE NCC
Paul Andersen (PA) ARIN
Nate Davis (ND) ARIN
Leslie Nobile (LN) ARIN
Ernesto Majo (EM) LACNIC
Arturo Servin (AS) LACNIC
Anne-Rachel Inne (AR) AFRINIC

Secretariat:

Guylaine Mootoo (GM) AFRINIC Recording Secretary
German Valdez (GV) NRO

1. Welcome, Apologies, Agenda Review

Paul Wilson (PW) welcomed the Executive Council and the Observers present online and opened the meeting at 11 07 UTC. The Executive Secretary, German Valdez (GV) pointed out that Adiel Akplogan (AA) has sent an apology; he is presently traveling in Accra, Ghana.

PW proposed to add discussion on the ICANN geographical representation under the AOB. There was no further addendum or objection to the proposed Agenda Items.

2. Approval of Minutes dated 18 June 2013

PW proposed to delete paragraphs 4C and 8 respectively from the short version of the minutes of the last June Teleconference before publication. The request was circulated on the mailing list prior to the meeting for review.

The EC approved the minutes (long & amended short version) of the NRO EC meeting dated 18 June 2013 as proposed by the Secretariat.

New Action Item 130716-01: Secretariat. Remove Paragraphs 4c and 8 and publish NRO EC June Teleconference in the NRO Website.

3. Review Action Items

Action Item 130321-04: The PACG and the CCG to work together on the redraft of the enhanced cooperation document.

Status: Item to be kept Opened and to be finalized for the next IGF in Bali.

Action Item 130321-05: The RSM and ECG to work together on a single plan for the collection of the Extended Statistics files and its repository in one location under the NRO infrastructure.

Status: Item to be closed. Completed. The extended stats are now published on the NRO website.

Action Item 130521-03 PW. The EC to review the RPKI architecture document, agree on a timeline and respond to IANA.

Status: Closed. Item to be discussed on the present agenda

Action Item 130521-04: Andrew de la Haye, RIPE NCC will provide a clear analysis report on the implementation of the RPKI with clear actions items for the next teleconference.

Status: Closed. Item to be discussed on the present agenda

Action Item 130521-08 RE to send a brief on KPI between RIR for service evaluation on the EC mailing list for further discussion among members and come up with a plan to implement it.

Status: Item to be closed. Raul Echeberria (RE) advised that Arturo Servin (AS) will send the brief on the RIRs’ KPIs on the mailing list on his behalf.

Action Item 130618-01 Secretariat to Publish in Website NRO EC May Minutes

Action Item to be closed. Completed

4. ASO Update in ICANN.

GV informed that the ICANN Board would like to meet with the NRO and to propose some agenda Items for discussion. There has been some insistence to have the meeting by the Board even if there were not enough representatives from the ASO & NRO here.

PW listed the following issues to be included in the Agenda:

(i) the standard NRO update
(ii) the standard Address Council update.
(iii) summary of the NRO ASO Review and the actions pending and taken on the ASO review.

John Curran (JC) agreed to PW’s list above and proposed to add the following agenda items for discussion:

(iv) the removal of the ability to present the NRO ASO report to the ICANN community at large during the plenary.

JC mentioned there is the need to give information and explanation of what the NRO are doing to the community at large. We need to explain to the ICANN Board that the RIR policy development process is remarkably different from the DNS policy development process and the ASO should be reporting during the plenary before the full community.

(v) the acknowledgement of the 5 –year ICANN strategic plan and the NRO will participate through the process to provide inputs.

PW confirmed with the EC that there is consensus to present the NRO & ASO report during the ICANN plenary. Axel Pawlik (AP) and RE seconded. PW to make the request during the Board meeting.

5. RPKI Update

AP briefed on his behalf of Andrew de la Haye the status of RPKI to date. He has worked with the ECG and will finalize at the IETF meeting in Berlin. Some further inputs are required from the RIRs and a report will be submitted to the EC.

AP stated that the NRO EC should look at the priorities in the deployment of the RPKI system. There are requests from IANA regarding the Global Trust Anchor functionalities and deployment. AP also highlighted that it might be a good time to review our public statement in regards to certification, product system stability and see if there is the need to change or update it. The proposal is to agree to focus on the stability of the system before implementing the Global Trust Anchor and to then communicate to IANA and other stakeholders.

PW emphasized that it is important to move forward with the project and to look now at the establishment of a test bed cooperatively with IANA. A public announcement on the NRO expectations with regards to the test bed should also be drafted, and clearly explain that we will be working as a test bed for a long time until the system is stable and there is a demand for production purpose.

Byron Ellacot (BE) was invited to make a brief on the ECG work plan with respect to RPKI as circulated in the draft agenda for the ECG meeting in Berlin. He stated that some specific information from the RIRs will be finalized for instance the RIR implementation matrix, individual RIRs priorities, and inter-operational framework between the RIRs. An information document on the review of the global trust anchor status was circulated between the ECG to make sure that they are progressing on the RPKI project. He also informed that an informal meeting is scheduled with Elise Gerich and Joe Abley to explain to them the status of the RPKI.

PW agreed and proposed to open the discussion with Elise Gerich and Joe Abley about the RPKI and the ECG to prepare the requirements for a test bed and cooperative work with IANA on it for Berlin Meeting.

New Action Item 130716-02 AP. To develop a public correspondence to IANA/ICANN highlighting that the NRO is supporting IANA on the test bed for RPKI but making clear it entails a long timeline for the testing and preparation phases for the system to be stable before it is deployed.

6. NRO Expenses Formula

AP reminded that the CFOs were requested to work on the formula during their retreats and their last proposal was not adopted.

JC stated that he is agreeable to the present formula and with what the CFOs proposed, but will like to have a written documentation and recommendations on the different scenarios.

GV reminded that CFO meeting will be September one week before the NRO EC retreat in Montevideo so there is good timing to engage in the topic and to be added in the retreat meeting.

RE explained the rationale of his proposal circulated in the NRO EC list. He doesn’t have objection to continue on the same way but there is better to have a definition of the formula based on current times.

PW agreed to have a review by the CFOs on the options available to review the formula.

RE proposed to add a deadline for the CFOs in dealing with this task to the CFOs.

New Action Item 130716-03: PW to request to the CFOs to add in the agenda for their September retreat the analysis of different scenarios to the NRO Expense Formula and deliver a report with recommendations by the time of the NRO EC retreat in Montevideo.

7. Montevideo I* and EC Retreat Preparations

The EC discussed and confirmed on the dates to hold the NRO EC Retreat and the I* Leaders Retreat in Montevideo, Uruguay as follows;

(i) NRO EC Retreat = Monday 30 September and Tuesday 01 October 2013
(ii) I* Leaders Retreat = Wednesday 02 October and Thursday 03 October 2013
(iii) Half Day EC Meeting = Friday 04 October 2013

JC highlighted that the NRO to send a message to the I* Leaders /participants to advise them on the dates and time.

PW advise that he will start the process for the preparations of the Agendas for both meetings on the mailing list.

New Action Item 130716-04: PW to re-confirm dates in I* leader participants for the retreat and trigger discussions on agenda preparations.

8. CG Reports

a. CCG

Bhadrika Magan (BM) briefed that there is no new issues to be brought to the attention to the EC. There is only daily recap ongoing for the CCG face to face meeting and anything which required the approval of the EC will be sent to the mailing list.

GV mentioned that will be plenty of documents that will require EC approval after the CCG meeting.

b. ECG

BE stated that they are presently working RPKI and RDAP inter-operational tests within each RIRs that will be organized in Berlin.

c. IPv6

Nate Davis (ND) stated that he sent to the EC mailing list, the documentation on the IPv6 efforts and challenges that each RIRs are encountering. He noted the input from PW on establishing priorities and found matches as a next step of this document.

d. PACG

Pablo Hinojosa (PH) reported progress on the joint report on the ITU council working group questionnaire. The PACG through Chris Buckridge has put a joint proposal to be sent to the EC for comments.

On regards to IGF workshops PACG and GV are confirming speakers as the next step in the workshop preparations.

The working group on enhanced cooperation has release a questionnaire the member of the PACG will look for info in coordination with the CCG. This is related to the pending action items on enhanced cooperation; the document to be developed on Enhanced Cooperation might be the answer to the questionnaire.

PH reported that the Secretariat of the OECD has identified people to conduct survey on the economical implementation of the IPv6.

PW mentioned that APNIC has put considerably resources already in the way of Geoff Huston’s time. However he wouldn’t object an NRO contribution if it’s agreed understanding that the OECD is not of the concern of all RIR.

The EC discussed the NRO support to the OECD survey, and it was agreed to finance around the order of 2500 USD as shared NRO expenses.

New Action Item 130716-05: PH to follow up in the OECD mailing list the NRO willingness to contribute in the order of 2500 USD to the OECD IPv6 Study

e. RSM

Leslie Nobile (LN) briefed that the RSM has completed input on the ICANN consultation on the Internet Number Resource request. The NRO joint stats is done and posted on the website. And the RSM is presently working on the RSM charter and the RSM/ECG joint meeting.

9. AOB

9.1 Internet Collaboration

PR referred to the discussion on the charter that will bring together the internet technical community and presently under discussion by the Internet Collaboration Group. He pointed out that the NRO EC need to discuss on the internet collaboration and have a position on the ongoing debate on the Internet Technical Advisory Group.

PW agreed with PR that the EC need to consider the proposal to formalize the ITAG Internet Technical Advisory Group and having different representatives from the different technical community.

RE proposed that the issue need to be discussed at the new I* Retreat meeting in Montevideo. PW proposed to add to the NRO EC Retreat’s Agenda too and to discuss meanwhile on the mailing list and come up with positions.

New Action Item 130716-06: PW to propose to the I* Meeting Agenda the topic on the new charter for the Internet Technical Advisory Group (ITAG)

9.2 Geographical regions report

PW made an update that the presentation of the final report on the geographical region will be released this week,

New Action Item 130716-07: PW to draft a public response to the ICANN Geographic Regions Working Group report to clarify the RIRs regional process and relationships within our geographical regions

10. Adjournment

Meeting ended at 12 19 UTC

Comments are closed.