28 May 2013

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 130416

Minutes

April 16, 2013
Teleconference 11:00 AM UTC

Executive Council Attendees:

Chairman: Paul Wilson (PW) APNIC
Secretary: Adiel Akplogan (AA) AFRINIC  – Joined in @ 11:12 UTC
Treasurer: Axel Pawlik (AP) RIPE NCC
Member: John Curran (JC) ARIN

Apologies:

Raul Echeberria (RE) LACNIC

Secretariat:

Guylaine Mootoo (GM) AFRINIC Recording Secretary
German Valdez (GV) NRO

Observers:

Pablo Hinojosa (PH) APNIC
Byron Ellacott (BE) APNIC
Bhadrika Magan APNIC
Akinori Maemura APNIC
Andrew de la Haye RIPE NCC
Paul Rendek (PR) RIPE NCC – Joined @ 12:04 TC
Paul Andersen (PA) ARIN
Nate Davis (ND) ARIN
Anne-Rachel Inne (AR) AFRINIC – Joined @ 11:51 UTC

1.0 Welcome, Apologies, Agenda Review

The Chair, Paul Wilson (PW) welcomed the Executive Council, the Executive Secretary and the Observers present online and opened the meeting at 11 05 UTC.

Raul Echeberria (RE) and other Observers from LACNIC were not present for the meeting while Adiel Akplogan (AA) joined in at 11 12 UTC.

2.0 Approval of last Minutes dated 21 March 2013

The minutes of the last NRO EC March 2013 Teleconference held on the 21 March 2013 required some amendments as follows;

(i) Para 3 on page 6 to be removed
(ii) Agenda Item No 4.0 – Paragraph 2 to be removed
(iii) Under the sub-heading ‘IANA and RFC 2050’, Paragraph 1, the next IGF meeting to be read as the next IETF meeting

The amended minutes to be circulated on the NRO EC mailing list for approval.

3.0 Review Action Items

A review of the Action Items pending to date were carried out and discussed as follows:

Action Item 130321-01:

The Chair, PW, to send a note to the ITU stating that pursuant to the last meeting in London, the NRO EC is still waiting for the draft proposal on the cooperative agreement.

Decision: Item to be kept open pending the PACG recommendations.

Action Item 130321-02:

The Chair, PW, to send a reply to Elise Gerich with regards to the RFC2050 and clearly stipulate that it is not a valid source of policy for the IANA work and referencing it as such will be inappropriate.

Decision: Item to be closed. Completed.

Action Item 130321-03:

The PACG to work out recommendations on how the NRO to engage with ICANN and to include it as an Agenda Item for discussion during the Retreat in Mauritius.

Decision: Item to be closed. Completed

Action Item 130321-04:

The PACG and the CCG to work together on the redraft of the enhanced cooperation document.

Decision: Item to be kept Open and to be finalised for the next IGF in Bali.

Action Item 130321-05:

The RSM and ECG to work together on a single plan for the collection of the Extended Statistics files and its repository in one location under the NRO infrastructure.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open

Action Item 130321-06:

Nate Davis to draft a communication to the I* Group on the constitution of the IPv6 Coordination Group and how to work together with clear expectations.

Decision: Item to be kept Open.

Action Item 130224-19:

The NRO EC to send a letter to the ITU in follow up of the previous contact related to cooperative agreement.

Decision: Action to be closed.

Action Item 130224-14:

RE to correspond with the IETF Chair and arrange for a meeting prior to or during IETF87 in Berlin.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open

Action Item 130224-13:

The CFOs to handle the quality of the NRO operations and to consider RIR best practices document, especially with regards to quality of service and business continuity.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open and PW to communicate to the CFOs accordingly

Action Item 130224-10:

The CCG to post the results of different RIRs customer satisfaction surveys on the NRO website.

Decision: Action to be closed. Completed.

Action Item 130224-09:

The CCG to add a reference on the NRO website for contribution to the IGF, whereby the public, members and other stakeholders are informed that they can also donate and how they can proceed.

Decision: Action Item to be closed. Completed

Action Item 130224-08:

RE to work and propose an updated NRO time line to complete RPKI deployment and define future evolution of the project including single Trust Anchor.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open.

Action Item 130224-06:

The NRO EC to formally communicate to the different Coordination Groups and other collaborators the appointment of German Valdez as NRO Executive Secretary as soon a contract is signed.

Decision: Action Item to be closed. Completed

Action Item 130224-03:

The ECG to produce/provide/compile relevant materials with respect to the IPv6 Task Force, to be presented at the next ITU/WTPF in May 2013, in collaboration with other I* organisations.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open.

Action Item 130224-02:

A multi-disciplinary IPv6 Task Force to be created with Nate Davis from ARIN as initial Chairman. Nate Davis will be responsible for the launching of the NRO IPv6 Task Force, finding the right members in each of the RIRs, helping them to define its Terms of Reference and coordinating with the other I* organizations. The IPv6 Task Force to include staff from technical, communications and public affairs areas.

Decision: Action Item to be closed. Completed

Action Item 130224-01:

PW to draft general comments and observations of the NRO to the I* Leaders group about the I* Leaders meeting for future considerations.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open.

Action Item 120907-03:

JC to draft a communication to the Chair of the ASO AC to follow up ITEMS report recommendations 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 18, 19, 23 and Rec #1

Decision: Action Item to be closed and replaced by the following new action item.

New Action Item 130416-01: The Executive Secretary to prepare a draft report on the status of the ITEMS report recommendations pursuant to the meeting of the ASO AC held in Beijing and related interpretations.

4.0 Outcomes of ICANN Meetings in Beijing

Meeting with ICANN CEO and staff

Axel Pawlik AP briefed on the outcomes of the meeting with ICANN CEO in the presence of Raul Echeberria, Adiel Akplogan, Nate Davis and Pablo Hinojosa. He highlighted that it went out well and they discussed among other issues, new RIR and a joint press release with ICANN on the new regional strategies reported in Beijing.

Nate Davis ND stated that he raised the issue of the RFC2050 with the ICANN CEO and the latter recognised the importance of the RFC2050 to the RIRs and he will inquire further with IANA VP and will report back to the NRO.

PH also briefed on the outcomes of the meeting, agreements reached and actions for follow up. It was pointed during the meeting that there is the need to have better coordination and communication between ICANN and the RIRs. I was concluded that regular meetings should be organised with ICANN and shared information on our activities.

New Action Item 130416-02: PW to send a reminder to IANA and the ICANN CEO stating that the NRO is presently awaiting a reply to our response by email on the RFC2050.

Joint Press Release with ICANN

The Chair, PW, proposed that it will be appropriate to agree on an exchange of letters. PW proposed to prepare the first draft letter for EC approval on the mailing list before sending to ICANN.

New Action Item 130416-03: PW to edit a first draft of exchange letters to be published jointly by ICANN and the NRO in lieu of the joint press release, and to circulate on the mailing list for approval before sending to ICANN.

Meeting with Argo Pacific

PH briefed on the meeting with Argo Pacific in Beijing and explained that most of the discussion was on the activities that were carried out at WCIT.

PW requested AA to formally reply to them, to acknowledge receipt and thank them for his cooperation and the meeting in Beijing.

PW also tasked PH to share the report dated 26 Feb 2013 to the PACG for review and to provide their recommendations on the activities carried out.

New Action Item 130416-04: AA to formally reply to Argo Pacific on his report, to acknowledge receipt and thank him for his cooperation and the meeting held in Beijing

New Action Item 130416-05: PH to share the report of Argo Pacific dated 26 Feb 2013 to the PACG for review and to provide their recommendations on the activities carried out.

5.0 RIR Input into the WTPF

PACG proposal

Paul Rendek , PR, joined in at 12 04 UTC. He acknowledged receipt and incorporation of the different comments received so far from the CEOs on the document ‘RIR input into the WTPF’. A final draft was circulated on the mailing list for review and the deadline to submit the document for publication is Wednesday 17 April 2014. PR highlighted that they were asked by different Governments to submit our comments earlier so that they can incorporate some in their respective dialogues for the WTPF.

PW noted that in the past there was joint submission between the NRO and ICANN, there is no restriction for the NRO to submit inputs on their own but recommend, as a good practice, that a copy of the document be shared with ICANN for their information. PR agreed to PW’s request.

6.0 CG status and reports

IPv6CG

ND provided an update on the status of the IPv6 Coordination Group. A draft message to the I* Leaders regarding the creation of the IPv6CG was sent to the EC mailing list for review and approval. There was also a WTPF preparatory group meeting in Beijing and it was concluded that it will not be productive for the IPv6CG to develop a plan for IPv6 deployment to the WTPF for the moment.

PW highlighted that membership to the IPv6CG should be multidisciplinary as discussed in Singapore, not only constituted with technical staff nor under any particular merits or authority, it should include members from the communication and public affairs areas respectively.

JC agreed and proposed that each RIRs submit their proposal of staff to adhere to the group to ND, and ND will prepare the final list.

New Action Item 130416-05: ND to review the charter in line with the composition of the IPv6 Coordination Group in order to reflect its multidisciplinary aspect and to circulate on the NRO EC mailing list for approval.

PACG

PH reported on the PACG retreat held in Mauritius and the team building exercise which help the PACG to better understand, work and collaborate more effectively with each other. They also discussed some of the pending actions and future works of the PACG. They have approved 6 recommendations namely with regards to the WTPF, working together with the IPv6CG on drafting the response to the consultation by ITU on the Council Working Group on August 1, the NRO global campaign, Argo Pacific report, IGF workshop proposals and on enhanced cooperation. A draft report was shared to the PACG and once finalised, it will be circulated to the NRO EC.

AA informed that he has to leave the meeting at 12 48 UTC.

CCG

Bhadrika Magan, BM, summarised the status of work for the CCG. The translation into the 6 languages is completed and published. The history of the ASO has been circulated and presently awaiting for feedback. The revamp of the ASO website is in progress, a taskforce has been created to look at the design and contents, and the CCG would like to hire the services of an external design consultant, his proposal will be circulated on the ASO AC and NRO EC mailing lists for evaluation and approval respectively.

BM informed that discussion is ongoing with regards to the communication activities for the 10th Anniversary of the NRO, and they are mostly related to the NRO activities throughout the last 10 years with the IGF and other stakeholders.

The first enactment of the IPv6 global survey to be deployed in May 2013.

ECG

Byron Ellacott, BE, stated that the next meeting of the ECG will be at the IETF meeting in Berlin in July. The ECG is working on the publication of the Extended Statistics files and will coordinate with the RSM.

7.0 AOB

No AOB

8.0 Adjournment

The Chair moved to adjourn the meeting at 12 54 UTC.

Comments are closed.