28 May 2013

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 130321

Minutes

March 21, 2013 
Teleconference 11:00 AM UTC

Executive Council Attendees:

Chairman: Paul Wilson (PW) APNIC
Secretary: Adiel Akplogan (AA) AFRINIC
Treasurer: Axel Pawlik (AP) RIPE NCC
Member: John Curran (JC) ARIN

Apologies:

Raul Echeberria (RE) LACNIC

Observers:

Pablo Hinojosa (PH) APNIC
German Valdez (GV) APNIC
Byron Ellacott (BE) APNIC
Sanjaya (SS) APNIC
Paul Rendek (PR) RIPE NCC
Paul Andersen (PA) ARIN
Nate Davis (ND) ARIN
Arturo Servin (AS) LACNIC
Anne-Rachel Inne (AR) AFRINIC

Secretariat:

Guylaine Mootoo (GM) AFRINIC Recording Secretary

1.0 Welcome, Apologies, Agenda Review

The Chair, Paul Wilson (PW) welcomed the Executive Council and Observers present online and opened the meeting at 11 05 UTC.

It was noted that Raul Echeberria (RE) was not available, he is presently traveling and Arturo Servin (AS) was in attendance on his behalf. Nate Davis (ND) stated that Leslie Nobile will not be able to attend because of another meeting and he will present the RSM report in her absence.

The Chair, PW, proceeded with the meeting and highlighted that no formal decision will be taken now, common agreement may be reached and then referred to the EC mailing list after the meeting for the approval of RE.

2.0 Approval of last Minutes

– 22 January 2013
– 24 February 2013
– Approval of December minutes for online publication

There was no objection to the approval of the minutes of the last NRO EC January 2013 Teleconference held on the 22 January 2013, the formal NRO EC meeting in Singapore held on the 24 February 2013 and the approval of the minutes of the December 2012 NRO EC Teleconference for online publication.

3.0 Review Action Items

A review of the Action Items pending to date were carried out and discussed as follows:

Action Item 130122-01: The Secretariat to draft a shorter version of the minutes of the last NRO EC teleconference held on 18 December 2012 for publication on the website.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130122-02: The PACG to produce a list of events for review during the next NRO EC Meeting.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130122-03: The Secretariat to add as an Agenda Item for the NRO EC Retreat, discussion on the status of the RSM and its current Charter.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130122-04: The Chair PW to send a message as the NRO/ASO to ICANN indicating that the NRO/AS will not be sending specific input to the GNSO Policy Development Process on the ‘thick’ WHOIS, but we wish them the best on their efforts and will follow the process.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130122-05: The Chair PW and AA to clarify what is the process, whether the NRO can leave the nomination to ICANN or need to select one candidate.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130122-06: The PACG to work on a response for the WTPF first draft report of the Secretary General and submit a report by end of next week before the deadline of 1 February 2013.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130122-07: JC to look into the ICANN request for consultation on the Internet Number Resources Performance Standards and to provide recommendations as appropriate to the EC before the deadline of 28 February 2013.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130122-08: AA to coordinate and complete the process for the appointment of an Executive Secretary to the NRO EC. An online interview to be organised with the selected candidates. A doodle poll to be created to check the availability of CEOs involved in the interview panel and select appropriate dates to organise the online interview.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 121218-01: The Chair to circulate the spreadsheet/ compilation of recommendations for the next steps the NRO to undertake in response to the ASO Review Report and will circulate to the Executive Council for review later this week.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 120907-03: JC to draft a communication to the Chair of the ASO AC to follow up ITEMS report recommendations 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 18, 19, 23 and Rec #1

Decision: Pending.

Action Item 121016-05: JC to coordinate the EC to revise and approve the position description for the Executive Secretary role followed by a selection call for filling the position (involving ARIN, LACNIC and AFRINIC).

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 121218-03: The NRO EC to discuss the incorporation and future form of the NRO in the next face-to-face meeting.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Review of Retreat Action Items

Action Item 130224-01: PW to draft general comments and observations of the NRO to the I* Leaders group about the I* Leaders meeting for future considerations.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open. .

Action Item 130224-02: A multi-disciplinary IPv6 Task Force to be created with Nate Davis from ARIN as initial Chairman. (Motion proposed by JC and seconded by RE) Nate Davis will be responsible for the launching of the NRO IPv6 Task Force, finding the right members in each of the RIRs, helping them to define its Terms of Reference and coordinating with the other I* organizations. The IPv6 Task Force to include staff from technical, communications and public affairs areas.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open.

Action Item 130224-03: The ECG to produce/provide/compile relevant materials with respect to the IPv6 Task Force, to be presented at the next ITU/WTPF in May 2013, in collaboration with other I* organisations.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open and assigned to the IPv6 Coordination Group.

Action Item 130224-04: JC to circulate his draft document and summarised proposal on the review of RFC2050 within a week on the NRO EC mailing list. The EC to take further action as appropriate.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130224-05: APNIC with the Agreement of the EC to propose a contract to German Valdez for the position of NRO Executive Secretary..

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130224-06: The NRO EC to formally communicate to the different Coordination Groups and other collaborators the appointment of German Valdez as NRO Executive Secretary as soon a contract is signed.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open.

Action Item 130224-07: AP to investigate and find someone to take the leadership for a continuous inter-RIR overall coordination of RPKI projects

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130224-08: RE to work and propose an updated NRO time line to complete RPKI deployment and define future evolution of the project including single Trust Anchor.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open

Action Item 130123-09: The CCG to add a reference on the NRO website for contribution to the IGF, whereby the public, members and other stakeholders are informed that they can also donate and how they can proceed.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open.

Action Item 130224-10: The CCG to post the results of different RIRs customer satisfaction surveys on the NRO website.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open

Action Item 130224-11: The PACG to explore and propose possible topics for a global NRO campaign.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130224-12: The PACG to have a teleconference call and discuss on the enhanced cooperation between each RIRs, brainstorm on what other RIRs are doing and what the community think about the activities.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130224-13: The CFOs to handle the quality of the NRO operations and to consider RIR best practices document, especially with regards to quality of service and business continuity.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open.

Action Item 130224-14: RE to correspond with the IETF Chair and arrange for a meeting prior to or during IETF87 in Berlin.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open.

Action Item 130224-15: AP and/or other EC member to attend the IETF meeting in Berlin and the NRO to substantiate the position to be carried forward.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130224-16: The Chair, PW, to send a message to the CEO of ICANN on NRO-ICANN relation/coordination and schedule a meeting with ICANN management in Beijing accordingly.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130224-17: The CCG to draft a preliminary response to the CWG consultation and the PACG to review as appropriate.

Decision: Action Item to be closed.

Action Item 130224-18: The NRO EC to nominate Cathy Handley and Andres Piazza to serve in the CSTD Working Group.

Decision: Action Item to be closed

Action Item 130224-19: The NRO EC to send a letter to the ITU in follow up of the previous contact related to cooperative agreement.

Decision: Action Item to be kept Open.

New Action Item 130321-01:
The Chair, PW, to send a note to the ITU stating that pursuant to the last meeting in London, the NRO EC is still waiting for the draft proposal on the cooperative agreement.

4.0 IANA/IETF matters

RIRs and lisp EID space

JC made a brief on the proposal on the lisp EID space within the v6 debates, and the different discussions on the mailing list and during the IETF meeting in Orlando. The RIRs can cooperate with the IAB and advise people how to better manage the Internet ecosystem and architecture, especially when there are projects that may affect the Internet operations.

IANA and RFC 2050

JC further explained that with regards to the revised RFC2050, it is in progress with good discussion and editorial comments from the IETF mailing list. It is expected to be formally published as a replacement to the obsolete RFC 2050 in the next IETF meeting.

JC outlined that with regards to the IANA functions contract and consultations including RFC 2050, the NRO EC to send a reply to Elise Gerich in line with communications exchange with her, to clarify that the RFC2050 is not a valid source of policy for the IANA work and referencing it as such will be inappropriate.

New Action Item 130321-02:
The Chair, PW, to send a reply to Elise Gerich with regards to the RFC2050 and clearly stipulate that it is not a valid source of policy for the IANA work and referencing it as such will be inappropriate.

5.0 Events in Beijing (ICANN)

– Paul Twomey – WCIT & Contract (Wednesday 10 April, TBD)
– ASO / IPv6 / DNSSEC Workshops (per programme)
– Regional Strategy meeting (Wednesday morning)
– Other meetings?

PW informed that Paul Twomey would like to meet with the NRO on Wednesday 10 April 2013 in Beijing for a report of what happened with the project prior and during the WCIT, and for any future actions.

ASO / IPv6 / DNSSEC Workshops

The Chair, PW, briefed on the ASO/IPv6/DNNSEC workshops as per the schedule of ICANN and invited discussion on who is participating in those workshops. APNIC is collaborating with ICANN on the IPv6 workshop and another workshop on Whois.

AA informed that he will be in the panel for the DNSSEC which is being lead by the ICANN Root Server Team while GV confirmed that the ASO workshop is the normal back to back meeting and there are no new items on the agenda.

Regional Strategy meeting

The EC discussed on preparations for the next ICANN meeting in Beijing, on the recent regional strategy of ICANN and the outcomes of the meetings held in Addis Ababa and Dubai.

It was agreed to task the PACG on how the NRO to engage with ICANN. PW supported and advised that it could be added as on the agenda of the PACG Retreat in Mauritius.

New Action Item 130321-03:
The PACG to work out recommendations on how the NRO to engage with ICANN and to include it as an Agenda Item for discussion during the Retreat in Mauritius.

6.0 Coordination Group reports and developments

ECG

Byron Ellacott (BE) made a brief on the ECG Work plan and status of the different projects todate, namely on the document describing the interaction between the RIRs and ICANN. the Up/Down delegated protocol, the Extended Statistics, the RPKI and the IETF Lisd Working Group.

CCG

GV made the CCG report and outlined that the CCG has circulated some documents for the EC review and comments on the mailing list with regards to Recommendation no 1 & 12, i.e clarification of the purpose, mandate and objectives of the ASO, and the review of the ASO website respectively.

The CCG has completed the review of the 6 important NRO documents (i.e. the NRO MoU, ASO MoU, AFRINIC MoU, the global policies and the Ipv6 global policies) to be translated in the approved commonly used languages (i.e. Spanish, Arabic, French, Russian and simplified Chinese).

The redraft of the enhanced cooperation document was also discussed and it was agreed for the CCG and PACG to work together on the redraft while taking into consideration all the political implications and present environment. The document should be ready for the forthcoming meetings and it should not only reflect the number of meetings attended but also show how the multistakeholder model works, the results achieved and how the NRO is contributing to its stability and development throughout the last 10 years, by its activities and cooperation with other stakeholders.

New Action Item 130321-04:
The PACG and the CCG to work together on the redraft of the enhanced cooperation document.

PACG

PH said that there are many actions that are in progress, and will be further discussed in the PACG Retreat in Mauritius. He thanked AFRINIC and AnneRachel Inne for her initiatives in organising the Retreat. The Retreat will be from the 27 – 30 March 2013, with two days team building exercise and two days for discussion. An agenda has been worked out including the deliverables. The PACG team is looking forward to the Retreat and trustful to improve collaborations in order to work together towards the expectations.

RSM

The RSM is now a formal Coordination Group. ND informed the EC that Leslie has sent an email on the list of RSM actions and progress made todate.

ND queried if the Extended Statistics files are being presently kept in one location. BE replied that the files repository could be kept on the NRO infrastructure which is managed by RIPE NCC.

It was agreed that the RSM and ECG to work together on a single plan for the collection of the Extended Statistics files to be provided to the community.

New Action Item 130321-05:
The RSM and ECG to work together on a single plan for the collection of the Extended Statistics files and its repository in one location under the NRO infrastructure.

IPv6 CG

ND briefed on the status of the new IPv6 Coordination Group todate. The charter has been draft and has been sent to PR for review. The constitution of the group is ongoing, each RIRs to appoint its representatives. ND is also drafting its work plan and actual deliverables, the first one is the next ITU/WTPF in May 2013. ND also proposed to draft a communication to the I* Group on the formation of the IPv6 Coordination Group and how to work together with clear expectations.

New Action Item 130321-06:
Nate Davis to draft a communication to the I* Group on the constitution of the IPv6 Coordination Group and how to work together with clear expectations.

7.0 Executive Secretary status

AA reported that the contract for the Executive Secretary is signed and GV will formally assume the new role on the 8 April 2013. A meeting will be held in Beijing between AA and GV to discuss on the different logistics of his work. A communication is also being drafted to announce and clarify the role of the Executive Secretary to the different Coordination Groups. The functions of the Executive Secretary are as per the job description previously circulated and will be updated if required.

GV thanked the NRO EC for their trust and support for this role, and outlined his objectives and future expectations.

8.0 Adjournment

The Chair moved to adjourn the meeting at 12 43 UTC.

Comments are closed.