17 August 2011

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 110817

Minutes

17 August 2011
Montevideo, Uruguay

Executive Council Attendees:

  • Chairman: Raúl Echeberría, CHAIR (LACNIC)
  • Secretary: John Curran, JC, (ARIN)
  • Treasurer: Paul Wilson, PW, (APNIC)
  • Members: Adiel Akpolgan, AA (AFRINIC), Axel Pawlik, AP (RIPE NCC)

Secretariat: Nate Davis, ARIN

Observers:

  • Pablo Hinojosa – APNIC
  • Scott Bradner – ARIN
  • Susan Hamlin – ARIN
  • Leslie Nobile – ARIN
  • Hartmut Glaser – LACNIC
  • Ernesto Majo – LACNIC
  • Arturo Servin – LACNIC
  • Paul Rendeck – RIPE

1. Welcome Apologies, Agenda Bashing

The Chair called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. UYT. The presence of quorum was noted. He welcomed the observers who participated via teleconference.

2. Approval of the Minutes

The Chair called for approval of the following:

  • June 21, 2011. The minutes were approved with no objections
  • July 19, 2011. The minutes were approved with no objections

New Action Item 110817-01: Secretariat to post June 2011, and July 2011 NRO EC Minutes as final to the NRO Website. OPEN

3. Review Action Items

Action item 100922-03: The CCG will work on an NRO RPKI factsheet and presentation, and an NRO RPKI Paper. OPEN.

EM noted he had sent a document to the EC’s mailing list including: a new fact sheet for RPKI; low-level language targeted to towards those that do not understand RPKI; and, the RIR’s role in this area.

JC stated that it looked very good and should be passed out at Internet meetings such as the IETF and IGF. He noted that with regard to the IGF workshop, there are RIR participants, but an industry panel representative was still needed.

AP indicated that they have someone in the RIPE region who may be interested.

JC stated that it would be preferred to have someone outside of the USA for the IGF meeting.  The Chair stated that he wanted to make sure discussion points from the NRO EC workshop yesterday were included.

Action item 101026-02: The Chair to prepare a message for the public regarding distribution of various registries address blocks among the RIRs. OPEN.

The Chair stated he would send the message by Friday of this week.

Action Item 110310-03: CFOs to work together for their next meeting to communicate information about financial stability. OPEN

The Chair stated this item to be closed as this has been accomplished.

Action Item 110621-02: To propose mechanisms of collaboration between different RIRs on public affairs matters. Pablo Hinojosa tasked. OPEN

The Chair stated this had been accomplished and the item should be closed.

4. Internet Governance

Chair to lead.

A) Next Steps with the ITU.

Meeting in Nairobi. The EC agreed to talk to Malcolm and invite him to the meeting.  The Chair mentioned that he had not heard from Nick Thorne and would try to reach out and invite him to the meeting.

5. RPKI

The Chair stated that this item was discussed during the EC’s workshop yesterday. There were no additional comments.

6. Discussion of IETF Formal Liaison

JC stated that the community had asked ARIN to set aside an address block for transition.  Staff and legal comments indicated uncertainty as to whether or not ARIN could do this.  The policy went through the process, resulting in the ARIN Advisory Council recommending it to the ARIN Board for ratification.  The Board held off on ratifying the policy, requesting interaction from the IETF/IAB.

JC noted that this situation worked out, but asked whether IETF discussion via the NRO should occur for these matters in the future.

After discussion, it was the sense of the EC that the EC Chair would handle the liaison, while the ECG monitors technical matters within the IETF/IAB.

7. Creation of Public Affairs Coordination Group (PACG)

The EC reviewed the Draft PACG Charter and discussed its merits. The Chair stated he would send the final revisions to the EC’s list for review.

The NRO EC agreed to create the PACG, with an approved Charter. They agreed to review it again at their first meeting in 2012.

9. CCG Report

EM stated he had sent his report to the EC’s list and that it focused on IGF coordination activities.

PR suggested, with regard to the IGF Workshop and the Critical Internet Resources portion, that the CCG get in touch with Emily as soon as possible to coordinate the session.

10. ECG Report

AS provided an update, based on his posted report to the EC’s list.  He noted that with regard to RPKI, the ECG did not provide any documentation to the IETF.

JC believed documents should be consistent with the IETF’s needs, including: how we plan to use it, transfers, swing points, etc. The EC agreed with the direction to the ECG to document items consistent with the expectation of the IETF community (Informational RFC).

11. Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business.

  • Transition of Reverse DNS Services to ICANN. JC stated that given that ARIN has performed the transition, and the relationship and service are normal, so he was now out of the lead role of this transition.  He stated he would let Elise know this that if any management issues come up, she should send a message to the Chair.
  • ASO AC and the NRO. HG posed the question of how the effectiveness of the ASO AC could be improved. The Chair stated that the ASO review might provide an opportunity for future improvements. AP stated that maybe under the NRO NC role there are possibilities to do more, but he believed in the narrow focus of ASO AC.
  • Nav6. AA received a set of concerning questions from this group.  JC considered them not good questions, and stated that he had pointed out privately where the information was factually wrong.

12. Adjournment

The Chair adjourned the meeting at 11:00 a.m. UYT.

Comments are closed.