25 January 2011

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 110125

Minutes

Teleconference January 25, 2011

Executive Council Attendees:

  • Chairman: Raúl Echeberría, CHAIR (LACNIC)
  • Secretary: John Curran, JC (ARIN)
  • Treasurer: Paul Wilson, PW (APNIC)
  • Members: Adiel Akplogan, AA (AFRINIC), Axel Pawlik, AP (RIPE NCC)

Secretariat:

  • Therese Colosi, ARIN

Observers:

  • Scott Bradner – ARIN
  • Nate Davis – ARIN
  • Susan Hamlin – ARIN
  • Leslie Nobile – ARIN
  • Maemura Akinori – APNIC
  • Pablo Hinojosa – APNIC
  • Hartmut Glaser – LACNIC
  • Ernesto Majó (EM, LACNIC)
  • Arturo Servín (LACNIC)

Agenda

  1. Welcome, Apologies, Agenda Bashing
  2. Previous Minutes
    1. October 26, 2010
    2. November 25, 2010
    3. December 21, 2010
  3. Review Action Items
  4. Preparation for Press Event in Miami
    1. Speakers
    2. Speaking Points
  5. Preparation for I* Retreat in Miami
    1. Topics for discussion
    2. NRO Positions
  6. Approval of final 5 /8’s Press Release from CCG
  7. Communication to International Organizations (re: IPv4 depletion)
  8. Liaison Statements from the ITU IPv6 Group to the NRO
  9. Report from the CCG
  10. Report from ECG
  11. RPKI Single Trust Anchor
  12. Report from RSM
  13. Review CSTD Decision/Further Action
  14. NRO Appointments to Joint DNS Security and Stability Analysis Working Group (DSSA)
  15. ASO AC Matters
  16. Any Other Business
  17. Adjournment

1. Welcome, Apologies, Agenda Bashing

The Chair called the meeting to order at 11:09 UTC. The presence of quorum was noted. The EC reviewed the agenda – called for comments.

2. Previous Minutes

  1. October 26, 2010
  2. November 25, 2010
  3. December 21, 2010

The Chair stated these minutes needed to be approved and called for any objections. There were no objections.   All the minutes were approved.

3. Review Action Items

OPEN:

Action item 100720-01: ARIN to send a summary of each RIR’s report on their IP address property statements. ON-GOING.

JC: Status on-going. Info from LACNIC now received; need to put it in the table.

Action 101221-01: AP to send an email to Rod Beckstrom, and the list, proposing that the attendance to the I*retreat be (CEO+1). CHAIR: This has been done, change status to closed.

Action 100427-4: After AP sends out the corresponding job description, each organization to provide the EC an estimate for adding such an FTE to their respective organizations. OPEN.

RE disagreed with hiding this action item without the support of the CCG, so it was decided to wait until the CCG’s January meeting to have a resolution on this point.

It was agreed to postpone this until the NRO-EC’s retreat.

Action item 2010-05-25-06: AP to put together a straw man for the NRO-EC and get it to the ECG before Brussels. (Re: Contingency plans). OPEN.

No change per Axel.  Keep it open and interesting to do and will work with locals to get it out.

Action item 2010-R2-1: The NRO-EC have agreed to share their public financial information prior to the next retreat about financial stability. OPEN.

Chair: bring info to Miami and share there, and then close it after Miami.

Action item 2010-R2-6: PW RENDEK to work with the CCG in elaborating this list of IPv6 key messages for sharing with partners. OPEN

AP said that the CCG is working on this but it is not quite done yet, and RE stressed that this is needed urgently as it will be used as one of the materials for the I*retreat.

Adiel stated it is still valid because it is IPv6 – important to have it.

Action item 2010-R2-20: All the RIRs to review the IP address property spreadsheet and decide if changes need to be made to their materials.

Pending Action Item 100720-01 (On-Going). OPEN.

Action item 100922-03: The CCG will work on an NRO-RPKI factsheet and presentation and an NRORPKI Paper. OPEN.

RE noted that this is also a very important issue, to which EM replied that the CCG had prepared a factsheet for the Cartagena meeting, which is available online.

EM: stated he is still working on the paper.

Action item 101026-02: RE to prepare a message for the public (Re. distribution of various registries address blocks among the RIRs). OPEN.

Action item 101125-01: All to approve or suggest modifications to the minutes of the previous meeting on the mailing list. CHAIR: This has been done. Change status to closed.

Action item 101125-02: AP to find out the state of the material prepared by the CCG (Re. Action Item 2010-R2-6 − The CCG to prepare IPv6 key messages). CHAIR: This is a CCG action – change status to closed.

CLOSED:

Action Item 2010-R07: Each RIR to report on their IP address property statements. DONE.

Action item 101026-04: AP and AA to draft a letter to Touré requesting a meeting to discuss the possibility of cooperating and collaborating on a reciprocity basis. OVERTAKEN BY EVENTS.

Action item 101125-03: AP to contact Leslie about the paragraph in the RSM recommendations on reservations/cessation that says, “reservations may continue for other purposes” so that it may be perfectly clarified. DONE.

Action item 101125-04: PW to write up his interpretation of the reservations agreement and then circulate that via email for its consideration in order to check whether everyone is in agreement. DONE.

AP said he would re-circulate the latest text.

Action item 101125-05: AP to reply to the UN/Sha invitation to ICANN re: Enhanced Cooperation, indicating that JC would be the person speaking. DONE.

Action item 101125-06: JC to take the reverse servers mutual understanding document, insert Geoff Houston’s clarification and send it to the NRO-EC for review. DONE.

4. Preparation for Press Event in Miami

The last allocation of two /8s will be given to APNIC from the IANA. The NRO EC discussed having a joint ceremony and press conference with ICANN and IANA for this historic event. The events are being planned during the week of January 31st when NANOG would be holding it’s meeting, as it is an opportune time to capture Internet community members who will already be attending NANOG.  It was the sense of the EC that February 3, 2011 would be a good date.

The EC acknowledged that all planning needed to be clearly and openly communicated and coordinated with ICANN, with ICANN’s full agreement on any scheduling for these events.

  1. Speakers. It was the sense of the EC that representatives from ICANN, Rod Beckstrom; IANA, Elise Gerich, the five CEOs of the RIRs, and possibly a guest speaker be in attendance to speak at the events.
  2. Speaking Points. The EC discussed speaking points and how long each person would have to speak.

The Chair stated the following New Action Items:

Action item 110125-02: CHAIR to finish arrangements of Ceremony/Press Conference with ICANN for the events in Miami; and, share the communications with the EC. JC and CHAIR to share all communications with ICANN. OPEN.

Action item 110125-03: CHAIR: Work on speech for the Miami event and share with EC, to ensure that the speech represents the NRO. OPEN.

Action item 110125-04: CHAIR/ Ernesto CCG: to work with ICANN in a joint announcement of the last allocation event.  OPEN.

Action item 110125-05: CCG: have an updated version of the Press Release for 03 Feb 2011.  OPEN.

Action item 110125-06: CHAIR: Agree with ICANN on the timing of allocations and announcement. OPEN.

Action item 110125-07: CHAIR: inform all involved in the event about the meetings. OPEN.

Action item 110125-08: JC to check with ICANN to make sure they want a guest speaker, and then search. OPEN.

Action item 110125-09: CCG: List of key messages on IPv4 and IPv6. OPEN.

5. Preparation for I* Retreat in Miami

ISOC is holding an I* Retreat in Miami during the week of January 31, 2011. Lynn St. Amour of ISOC had sent an agenda to the EC as invited participants.

  1. Topics for discussion. The EC reviewed the topics on the agenda and planned who would present information on the respective items.
  2. NRO Positions. It was the sense of the EC that the members of the EC agree and represent the NRO’s position on the topics as the NRO EC and not as each member’s respective RIR. It was noted, however, that certain items, like RPKI, could be discussed as individual RIRs to describe each RIR’s approach, since each RIR may handle it differently.

The Chair stated that if, at the end of the meeting, the relationships between the NRO, IETF, IAB and IANA, were improved, the meeting would have been a success; and, he looked forward to the discussions.

6. Approval of Final Five /8’s Press Release from CCG

The Chair stated that this item has been overtaken by events since the EC needs to approve a new press release via e-mail. The EC will require fast feed back from EC members.

JC stated that, related to the topic of the I* agenda, the EC has it’s own workshop in Miami during that week. He asked what items should be included on the agenda, and confirmation of what dates the EC wanted to hold their workshop. The Chair stated that some of the present items on this agenda be postponed and discussed at their workshop.

It was agreed that the EC’s workshop would be held on February 2nd and 4th in the afternoon of both days, and all day February 5th.  It was also agreed the EC would hold a dinner with the ECG and CCG on the evening of February 4th.

7. Communication to International Organizations (re: IPv4 depletion)

JC stated that he was asked whether or not the EC intended outreach to international organizations like the UN, CSTD, and OECD, regarding the IPv4 depletion event, to give them information of when it’s happening or materials to distribute if they are contacted. He asked a what level of coordination would the EC engage in?

The Chair asked if this would be different from the press release. JC replied that if we have a press release and a Q&A period, and materials, would we be sharing them with other organizations so that they can answer questions from a prepared position?

PW stated he felt the EC should, but carefully within our respective communities, in-line with the request but not outside our communities. He stated it would be announced publicly this week and be available next week.

It was the sense of the EC to make a short announcement. The Chair asked for a volunteer to draft a list of organizations to send the announcement to. JC volunteered. The Chair will communicate this to ICANN. JC asked EM to also let the CCG know.

New Action item 110125-10: JC to prepare a list of organizations to inform about IPv4 free pool run-out. OPEN.

8. Liaison Statements from the ITU IPv6 Group to the NRO

The Chair stated that this item would be on the agenda to be discussed at the NRO’s Retreat in Miami.

9. Report from the CCG

There was no update at this time.

10. Report from ECG

The Chair stated that this item would be on the agenda to be discussed at the NRO’s Retreat in Miami. Aurturo Servin stated that he was having a meeting tomorrow and the EC’s meeting in Miami would be a better time to provide an update. The Chair asked Arturo to send him a report after Arturo’s meeting. Arturo agreed to do so.

11. RPKI Single Trust Anchor

The Chair stated that this item would be on the agenda to be discussed at the NRO’s Retreat in Miami. Aurturo Servin stated that he was having a meeting tomorrow and the EC’s meeting in Miami would be a better time to provide an update. The Chair asked Arturo to send him a report after Arturo’s meeting. Arturo agreed to do so.

New Action item 110125-11: CHAIR: RPKI Statement (Refresh).  Chair to circulate to the list: the answer to ICANN and the comments to the IAB.

12. Report from RSM

No update at this time.

JC stated that in ARIN’s case we have a number of large organizations that have begun preparing requests for additional allocations. Run out is not lost on any of them. They usually come back every year or two for the next very large allocation.  They don’t wait to request now, they get the request in before run out, even if small than usual. JC does not see this as a run on the bank but rather that people are just much more prompt in requesting now. PW stated it was occurring in APNIC due to acceleration in deployment. He stated that the global economic crisis has not hit in Asia like it has elsewhere, and he will have numerical figures to justify it. He did not think it was a sudden land rush.

The Chair stated that if there were any further items to please send them to the  EC’s list.

13. Review CSTD Decision/Further Action

The Chair stated that this item will be on the agenda to be discussed at the NRO’s Retreat in Miami.

14. NRO Appointments to Joint DNS Security and Stability Analysis Working Group (DSSA)

Arturo Servin stated that it is expected that the NRO appoint someone.  It was the sense of the EC that it be someone from the CCG and asked Arturo to report back to the EC after his meeting tomorrow.  Arturo stated he would do so.

15. ASO AC Matters

A) Face to Face Meeting San Francisco, CA. The EC approved the ASO AC’s face to face meeting to be planned the week of the ICANN meeting in San Francisco in March.

B) Review of ASO AC Activities at ICANN Meetings. The Chair stated that this item would be on the agenda to be discussed at the NRO’s Retreat in Miami.

C) ASO Review: Clarification Questions.  AA had received questions regarding the ASO Review process and sent them to the EC’s list. The Chair stated that, since AA was the most active person on this matter, he please let the EC know if and when any decision needs to be made. AA requested that the Chair forward any related e-mails that he too may receive, to AA. The Chair stated he would do so.

16. Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business items.  JC stated that ARIN was awaiting any further expenses for 2010, as the 2010 Treasurer.  The members stated they would make sure all expenses for 2010 were submitted to ARIN. PW stated that he is the 2011 Treasurer and JC’s counterpart and that Richard Brown at APNIC is Bob Stratton’s counterpart. JC stated he might bring Treasurer-duty materials to hand over to PW in Miami.

The Chair stated that Andrei Robachevsky is leaving RiPE NCC. He commended him for his work as Chair of the EC. He stated he was sorry Andrei was not on this teleconference, but wished to thank him and to wish him good luck.  He stated he would craft an email to this effect.

17. Adjournment

The Chair adjourned the meeting at 13:14 UTC, with no objections.

Comments are closed.