21 July 2009

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 090721

Minutes

Teleconference 21 July 2009, 1100 UTC

Participants:

  • AFRINIC:
    Adiel Akplogan (AA)
  • APNIC:
    Paul Wilson (PW)
    German Valdez (GV)
  • ARIN:
    John Curran (JC)
    Nate Davies (MD)
  • LACNIC:
    Raúl Echeberría (RE)
    Ricardo Patara (RP)
  • RIPE NCC:
    Axel Pawlik (AP)
    Paul Rendek, Chairman CCG (PR)
    Andrei Robachevsky, Chairman ECG

AGENDA

  1. Welcome and Agenda review
  2. Adoption of last meeting’s minutes
  3. Review Action Items
  4. Update from the CCG / PCG
  5. Update from the ECG
  6. Followup on NRO/ITU discussions
  7. Liaison with IAB/IETF
  8. ASO review process
  9. AOB
    1. CoE IG Code of good practice
    2. NRO Incorporation
    3. Meeting with ICANN CEO (Adiel’s mail)
  10. Adjournment

1. Welcome and Agenda review

The Chairman opens the meeting at 1117 and welcomes all participants.

2. Adoption of last meeting’s minutes

AP moves to approve the minutes of the NRO EC retreat on 11 June 2009 with the following corrections:

2. “21 April 09” instead of “19 May 09
3. NCC hosting as of “1 Jan 2010.”

JC seconds, all approve.

3. Review Action Items without associated agenda item

All actions Items are discussed and marked as appropriate.

4. Update from the CCG / PCG

PR gives an extensive update from CCG and the emerging PCG; he will provide this in writing. He notes that it is very difficult to arrange for a face-to-face meeting for the PCG.

[PW joins at this time.]

RE: IT is difficult to attend meetings. Have made efforts for Beijing (CCG), don’t support another, PCG meeting in Beijing.

PW proposes that PCG should propose a new meeting time as a matter of priority.

RE recommends to use a teleconference to make progress now.

AA summarises that PCG will meet per teleconference and will try to arrange a face-to-face meeting as soon as possible.

RE brings up the topic of an improved procedure for preparing NRO position papers, as a recommendation for the future. The process has not always worked well.

Fi. CCG/PCG prepares draft, sends to EC with deadline for comment. 2nd draft of statement must come with an opportunity for check by EC. Please include this, with a clear deadline for 2nd round of comments. Then, after formal signoff, statements to be sent by chairman.

JC fully agrees with Raul. More care needs to be taken to ensure formal signoff by EC.

PW agrees. Preemptive writing of positions might be needed for quick release. These issues are already known.

Action 200908-01: PR to send list of issues and timelines for preemptive writing of position statements.

AA remarks that the NRO Trust Anchor declaration must be sent before the weekend.

5. Update from the ECG

AR gives an extensive update from the ECG.

The need for an NRO statement on TAs was discussed and agreed.

RE, JC request that final statement will be sent to list before publication.

Action 200907-02: AA to re-circulate TA-statement to NRO EC list.

JC: It would be useful to make the statement more explicit regarding transition. JC will provide wording.

Action 200907-03: JC to supply wording for TA statement more explicit regarding transition.

Due to progressed time the Chairman adjourned the meeting at 1237, to be reconvened on 28 July, 1100 UTC, with the remainder of the agenda to be moved to that meeting.

[The meeting was continued 28 July, 1100 UTC.]

Participants:

  • AFRINIC:
    Adiel Akplogan (AA)
  • APNIC:
    Paul Wilson (PW)
    German Valdez (GV)
  • ARIN:
    John Curran (JC)
    Nate Davies (MD)
  • LACNIC:
    Raúl Echeberría (RE)
  • RIPE NCC:
    Axel Pawlik (AP)

The Chairman re-opens the meeting at 11:13 and welcomes participants.

6. Followup on NRO/ITU discussions

a. Update from Axel

AP reports from his meeting with Malcolm Johnson, ITU-T.

[PW joins the conference at 1118]

b.Travel planning

Progress of meeting planning and liaison with the ITU was discussed.

AA: Regarding a proposed meeting with Malcolm Johnson in Lisbon: Tue/Wed of the RIPE Meeting are good days.

Action 200907-04: AP to propose to Malcolm Johnson a meeting with ITU-T and NRO EC and possibly board members, on Tuesday or Wednesday of the RIPE meeting week.

7. Liaison with IAB/IETF

RE states that due to the state of meetings and discussions at the IETF the NRO statement on RPKI Trust Anchors must be released immediately.

AA agrees to send the final statement.

AP reports that he has contacted PR offline for publication on the NRO website.

RE notes that an NRO opinion on the circumstances of an acceptable Single Trust Anchor solution must be prepared.

AP and AA agree that the sketch in Raul’s mail is a good start for this.

8. ASO review process

RE states that according the the ASO MoU the ASO has to arrange for it’s review according to the ICANN bylaws. The first thing to prepare would be the Terms of Reference for the review so that an external auditor can be appointed.

AA agrees with RE.

JC talked to ICANN CEO last week, who had no extensive background on RIRs and NRO.

AA will look at Terms of Reference as well as a process model, and propose them to the NRO EC.

Action 200907-05: AA will look at Terms of Reference as well as a process model for the ASO review, and propose them to the NRO EC.

9. AOB

a. CoE IG Code of good practice

All agree to push this agenda item to the next NRO EC meeting.

b. NRO Incorporation

RE volunteered to retrieve the previously prepared draft incorporation papers.

c. Meeting with ICANN CEO (Adiel’s mail)

JC generally against set of ongoing meetings used to provide CEO/Board level comment to ICANN. There is a potential to go against the general commitment towards transparency. However, one first meeting to make acquaintances is supported. More meetings should only take place when concrete need arises.

All agree with this point of view.

[RE leaves at 1230.]

JC volunteers to draft agenda for meeting.

Action 200907-06: JC to draft an agenda for a meeting with the new ICANN CEO.

10. Adjournment

The Chairman closes the meeting at 1235.

Actions Items

Action 299804-08:
JC to provide summary of discussions between ARIN and IANA on in-addr transfer, to NRO EC for further decision.
OPEN, Mark sent report to ECG.

Action item: 200906-01:
PR and PW to finalise the EC statement regarding the end of the JPA and report back to the NRO EC on the 11th June 2009.
DONE

Action item: 200906-02:
CCG to prepare an overall strategy to improve NRO communications and on a possible distribution of Communication & Administrative tasks
OPEN

Action item: 200906-03:
All the EC members to inform their staffs about the changes brought in the rotation of offices, ie CG Chair to rotate with EC Chair.
DONE

Action item: 200906-04:
NRO to start the preparation of the incorporation process with
immediate effect.
OPEN

Action item: 200906-05:
RE to talk to LANIC’s attorney to recover the incorporation documents and report to the EC on the status of the documents.
OPEN

Action item: 200906-06:
All to report to their respective board on the EC position with regards to the incorporation of the NRO To be discussed under “AOB”

Action item: 200906-07:
Leslie to report back to the EC next week on the distribution of the unallocated early registration blocks.
OPEN

Action item: 200906-08:
AP to arrange a meeting with Malcolm to study the report that he will present to the ITU council
DONE

Action item: 200906-09:
Chair to arrange a meeting with Dr Touré to discuss NRO position to enhance collaboration with the ITU and address ITU position on having a global IPv6 Registry
SHELVED until after meeting with Malcolm Johnson

Action item: 200906-10:
PW to work on a more elaborated paper concerning the ITU IPv6 proposals and to target a broader public.
OPEN

Action item: 200906-11:
CCG to review the response paper to ITU questionnaire and report back.
OPEN

Action item: 200906-12:
Chair to task the PCG to prepare a charter for this newly constituted CG.
DONE

Action item: 200906-13:
Chair to send an email to Peter Dengate-Thrush, Theresa Swinehart, and Dr Twomey to express NRO commitment to intensify relationship with ICANN Board and staff.
DONE

Action item: 200906-14:
RIPE NCC and ARIN to inform their community about the approved versions of the proposed global policy for IPv4 address distribution by IANA.
OPEN (JC with Einar to send update to ppml list)

Action item: 200906-15:
PCG to organize and coordinate NRO participation at the ITAC.
OPEN

Action item: 200906-16:
RE and PR to report to the EC on the possibility of having merged
workshops based on the list and provide related information.
DONE

Action item: 200906-17:
CCG to work on an awareness campaign for ASN 2 byte exhaustion
OPEN

Action item: 200906-18:
Chair to communicate to IANA the NRO agreement with regards to ASN 2-bytes.
OPEN

Action item: 200906-19:
Chair to send to the declaration about the RPKI to the IETF/IAB/NRO list.
DONE

Action item: 200906-20:
Chair to send the declaration about the RPKI to the IANA list.
DONE

Action item: 200906-21:
Chair to send an email to the ECG about their role in the RPKI project and to task them to analyse Geoff’s paper.
DONE

Action item: 200906-22:
Chair to communicate to IANA NRO’s position on the problematic /8.
DONE

Action item: 200906-23:
Chair to task the RSM to analyse the problem and report to the EC.
DONE

New Action Items:

Action 200908-01: PR to send list of issues and timelines for preemptive writing of position statements.

Action 200907-02: AA to re-circulate TA-statement to NRO EC list.

Action 200907-03: JC to supply wording for TA statement more explicit regarding transition.

Action 200907-04: AP to propose to Malcolm Johnson a meeting with ITU-T and NRO EC and possibly board members, on Tuesday or Wednesday of the RIPE meeting week.

Action 200907-05: AA will look at Terms of Reference as well as a process model for the ASO review, and propose them to the NRO EC.

Comments are closed.