31 May 2006

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 060531

Teleconference , 12:00 UTC

Executive Council Attendees:

Raul Echeberria, Chair
Adiel Akplogan, Member
Axel Pawlik, Member
Ray Plzak, Secretary
Paul Wilson, Treasurer

Other Attendees:

Therese Colosi, Recording Secretary

Observers:

Nate Davis (ARIN)
German Valdez (LACNIC)

AGENDA

1. Welcome
2. Agenda Review
3. Executive Council
4. Internet Governance
5. Communications Coordination Group (CCG)
6. Any Other Business
7. Adjournment

1. Welcome

The Chair called the meeting to order at 12:00 UTC. The presence of a quorum was noted

2. Agenda Review

The Chair called for any comments.  There were no comments.

3. Executive Council

A. IANA Contract. (NRO EC 05-102 051122)  The Chair stated there was no update at this time as the RIR Boards will discuss the contract in one hour via teleconference.

B. Charter for the Engineering Coordination Group. (NRO EC 06-03 060209)  The Chair stated the Charter was in place, but has not yet sent word to the Chair of the ECG.

C. Routing Certification. (NRO EC 06-19 060418) At the last meeting, the Chair asked Paul Wilson to provide some information that could shed some light as to what role the EC should play in the Routing Certification project. Paul stated he had sent a message to the EC’s list with notes regarding RIR meetings for the second half of 2006 in regard to arranging EC meetings in conjunction with them. Lengthy discussion ensued on the subject. The Chair stated he was supportive of discussing the EC’s meetings, but would like to see guidelines regarding what role the NRO should play in the routing certification process. Ray Plzak stated that the RIRs have to jointly agree to a solution, which has not yet been done.

In the interest of time, the Chair requesting discussion be continued on the EC’s list and asked Paul to suggest a date for an EC meeting in the next month. Paul asked if the travel matrix for the second half of 2006 was available. Ray stated he would send it to Paul.

D. U.S. Department of Commerce (DoC) Notification of Intent (NOI). The Chair stated that the DoC has asked for an evaluation of ICANN, and that the DoC would be meeting on July 26 in Washington, DC to analyze how to continue the transition of ICANN when the MOU expired.  He further stated that the deadline for submitting comments to the DoC was July 7, 2006. Ray Plzak stated that the ARIN Board would be providing an evaluation and it could be done independently or with the NRO.

After discussing, it was the sense of the EC that the NRO provide an evaluation statement independently. Ray volunteered to draft the statement. The Chair requested each EC member to provide Ray with a list of points they wanted included in the statement by June 9. He tasked Ray with compiling the comments, and drafting a statement of evaluation for the EC’s review so it can be forwarded to the DoC.

E. Global v6 Policy Proposal. This policy has been accepted in all regions and needs to be forwarded to the Address Council.

Ray Plzak moved that:

“The NRO EC, noting that the policy development process has been followed in all five regions, forwards the proposed Global v6 Policy Proposal to the Address Council for action as defined in the ASO MOU, Annex A.”

This was seconded by Paul Wilson. The motion carried unanimously. The Chair will send the proposal to the Chair of the Address Council.

4. Internet Governance

A. ITU Telecom World 2006.  (NRO EC 06-21 060418)  Ray stated he had sent information via e-mail to the EC last week regarding this meeting. He stated the EC needs to authorize the CCG to move forward on plans for exhibiting at this meeting and explained that the CCG understands the position of sharing the labor effort with other Internet organizations. The Chair stated he would send a message to the Chair of the CCG.

B. IGF – Athens: Pavilion and Workshop. AA stated that he had sent a summary of the recent meeting in Geneva to the EC via e-mail. He explained that there are on-going discussions regarding the workshops for the Athens meeting and how many should be organized, but that no final agreement on the number of workshops has been determined by the IGF.

Discussion ensued on whether the EC should hold an official workshop in conjunction with the IGF’s program at the venue, or one or two stand-alone workshops close to the venue.  After much discussion, it was agreed that the EC would hold their workshop outside the venue.  The EC also agreed to participate in a joint workshop with the Internet Society (ISOC).

The Chair tasked the CCG to contact the host of the IGF meeting to find out what the venue is, and the hotels nearby the venue. The CCG should explore booking rooms in a hotel close to venue, including the option of using a pavilion for the meeting area. Additionally the CCG should explore the possibility of booking a small room in the IGF venue for receiving people, and holding informal meetings during the IGF’s meeting.

5. Communications Coordination Group (CCG)

Affirmations of actions from the NRO EC Meeting of May 11, 2006 are needed, as Adiel Akplogan was unable to participate at that meeting.

The Chair asked Adiel if he read the resolutions (listed below). Adiel stated that he had read them. The Chair asked if Adiel had any objections to the resolutions. Adiel stated that he had no objections. The Chair asked if Adiel supported all of the resolutions. Adiel stated he did support all of them.

A. “The NRO EC provisionally adopts the Charter, pending final revisions with comments by the EC on the mailing list.”

B. “The NRO EC Chair submits, as the NRO, the EC’s response to the ITU discussion.”

C. “The NRO EC approves participation by the NRO in an exhibition pavilion at the ITU Telecom World 2006 in a manner similar to the participation at the WSIS summit in Tunis in 2005.”

D. “The NRO EC will contribute $25,000 to the IGF SEC pending approval by its respective Boards in an apportioned amount.”

E. “The NRO EC accepts the CCG Work Plan as presented.”

F. “The NRO EC adds the items that the Chair has commented on to the CCG work plan, and directs the Chair of the CCG to add this to work plan.”

G. “The NRO EC directs the CCG to add the revision of the ASO website to the CCG Work Plan.”

H. “The NRO EC directs the CCG explore the issue of exhibiting a booth at the IGF Forum in Athens.”

I. “The NRO EC approves promoting the harmonization of the allocation period that is used in all of the RIRs, and suggests adopting the criteria of a 12 month allocation period as the common criteria as soon as possible.

6. Any Other Business

The Chair called for any other business. There was no other business.

7. Adjournment

The Chair moved to adjourn at 12:54 UTC. This was seconded by Ray Plzak.  The motion carried unanimously.

Comments are closed.