11 August 2005

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 051108

Teleconference, 2100 UTC

Attendees

Axel Pawlik (AP)
Ray Plzak (RP)
Adiel Akplogan (AA)
Raul Echeberria (RE)
Paul Wilson (PW

Minutes taken by German Valdez (GV).

AGENDA

1. Agenda Bashing
2. Next Meeting
3. Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting
4. Action List
5. Status WSIS
6. Guam
7. Post-Perth Activities
8. New agreements between ICAN and Verisign
9. AC New Member PRocedures
10. Any other Business

A. ECG
B. Joint Whois
C. 6 to 4

The teleconference was opened at 2100 UTC.

1. Agenda Bashing

No comments

2. Next Meeting

It was decided to have the next meeting in Tunis. It was tentatively agreed to try to hold the meeting on the afternoon of Tuesday, November 15; the final details of this meeting will be arranged when the EC members arrive in Tunis.

It was also decided to hold a teleconference on the Tuesday, November 22, at 1200 UTC.

3. Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting 051019

Motion put forward by RP and seconded by PW: To approve the minutes of the October 19 meeting as presented to the list.  Hearing no objections, the motion was approved.

Motion put forward by RP and seconded by PW: To approve the minutes of the October 27 meeting as presented to the list.  Hearing no objections, the motion was approved

4. Action List

It was established that only those items that cannot be included under other agenda items would be included under this particular agenda item. The status of the remaining action items will be discussed under their corresponding agenda items.

NRO-EC 04-78, 041203: RP to draft plan regarding NRO server placement. OPEN.
Conclusion date: First quarter of 2006 (March 31, 2006)

NRO EC 05-56 050809: AP. Follow up the RIR conflict of interest posture and prepare a consistent statement to the ICANN Board regarding to this topic. OPEN.

NRO EC 05-63 050809: AP. To contact the IETF chairs with the question of whether or not a continued liaison between NRO and IETF is seen as a benefit to the IETF. CLOSED.

NRO EC 05-69 050907: AP. Define requirements for Richard and Frederico so they may continue their work on backup/recovery plan. OPEN.

NRO EC 05-70 050907: AP. NRO EC chair task the chair of the CCG to come up with requirements definitions of the NRO website. OPEN. Will be done after Tunis.

NRO EC 05-72 050907 RP and RE – Draft a proposal for use of legacy ERX space by RIRs. OPEN.

NRO EC 05-73 050907: All. review ICANN Strategic Plan and send comments to NRO-EC list. CLOSED.

NRO EC 05-74 050907: RP. Compile comments of all NRO EC member comments to ICANN strategic plan. OPEN

NRO EC 05-76 051019: RP. To put together an outline of the presentation regarding the relationship between ASO, NRO and ICANN, for the meeting with ICANN.

At RP’s suggestion, the wording of this action was changed to the following:

NRO EC 05-76 051019: RP. To put together the report for the ASO which will be presented by AP at the meeting with ICANN (status report). ONGOING.

NRO EC 05-80 051019: All. To send our very last set of comments to the incorporation documents before next Wednesday and then compile them and send a finalized set of comments to the lawyers so they can work on the final version a week later. CLOSED.

NRO EC 05-81 051019: AP. To get a clean version of the latest version of the incorporation documents from the lawyers and circulate them. OPEN.

NRO EC 05-82 051019: AP. To take the two drafts regarding IANA contracts to the EC list so everyone can take a final look at them and, even if they don’t necessarily agree with the content, they can establish that they are suitable to be discussed by the boards. OPEN

NRO EC 05-83 051019:  RP. To send a message to ICANN saying that the NRO have agreed that the amount for the year should be the U$S 823,000 and that we will get back to them on this as soon as we can. OPEN. It was decided to wait.

NRO EC 05-84 051019:  AP. To ask Curtis what has happened with this draft (IANA special use address assignments). CLOSED.

NRO EC 05-85 051019: PW. To get back to RP regarding the new version of the “Code of Conduct” so that RP can put it on the list. CLOSED We have to figure out when we’re going to sign it.

NRO EC 05-89 051027: RP. To send clean copy of the current document regarding the contract between IANA and the NRO,  to the EC.

It was observed that this action is identical to action 05-82, so it was DELETED.

NRO EC 05-90 051027: AP. To forward the last clean version of the documents regarding the contract between IANA and the NRO to the RIR Boards.
It was observed that this action is identical to action 05-82, so this action was also DELETED.

NRO EC 05-94 051027: AP. To sent an email to Vint Cerf (with cc to Paul Twomey) to emphasize the role of the NRO in its function as the ASO. OPEN.

NRO EC 05-95 051027: RP.  To draft and send to the EC internal NRO procedures for communicating with ITU. OPEN.
RP was waiting for general suggestions before doing this, will do it now.

NRO EC 05-96 051027: RP. To take this point in consideration for the NRO’s comments to the ICANN strategic plan. OPEN.

It was clarified that this refers to the regionalization of ICANN.

5. Status WSIS

NRO EC 05-77 051019: All. To send, before Saturday, topics or questions for RP to discuss with Richard Hill in his meeting next Monday. CLOSED.

NRO EC 05-78 051019: RE. To prepare a draft statement on WSIS. CLOSED.

NRO EC 05-79 051019: AP. To contact Ambassador Khan to ensure we will have passes to enter and speak at the discussion room. OPEN.

PW: Each registered business entity can have up to 2 passes a day. ARIN and the NRO are registered, so the NRO can apply for passes and ARIN can also apply for passes. PW will circulate this to the list.

NRO EC 05-86 051019: AP. To ask the CCG chair to draft the article for Parliament Magazine. DONE.

NRO EC 05-87 051019: RE. To present his expense report regarding the WGIG as he sees fit and AP will make sure it is paid. OPEN.

NRO EC 05-88 051027: PW. To Pay U$S 3400 to Parliament Magazine on behalf of the NRO. OPEN.

PW asks to talk about this at next meeting.

NRO EC 05-92 051027: RE. To write a letter requesting more information on the ITU Plenipotentiary Conference. CLOSED.

NRO EC 05-93 051027. AP. To ask CCG to work after the summit in the plan for next year considering the Plenipotentiary Assembly of ITU. CLOSED.

WSIS Statement.  There was agreement that the NRO should make a statement on WSIS.  It was discussed if the statement should be focused specifically on Internet Governance or not.  It was decided to issue two different statements.  The following action was decided:

NRO EC 05-97 051108 RE, PW: To take all of the comments made so far and the 2 versions of the document prepared by RE and come up with two new documents and send them back to the list for discussion. RE will work on the governance document, PW on the more general document.

Brief update on Public Relations.  AP: A PR statement was sent out, There is an agreement with all the parties that are participating that Lynx and ICANN would use their PR companies..

RE: Mentioned he sent another draft of the letter to be sent to ITU regarding the rates of participation of the NRO in the Plenipotentiary Assembly),

NRO EC 05-98 051108  ALL: To send comments back to NRO email list on the letter to be sent to ITU regarding the participation of the NRO in the Plenipotentiary Assembly.

6. Guam

NRO EC 05-91 051027 RP. PW: To work together on an answer to ICANN regarding the interest expressed by some organizations from Guam regarding their belonging to a given service region. OPEN

After further discussion, it was decided to put this matter onto the EC’s agenda for the meeting with ICANN.

7. Post Perth Activities

After discussing several possibilities, the following action was decided:
NRO EC 05-99 051108  ALL: To indicate to PW if we’d like to go to Brisbane, stating possible dates and what activities we’ like to be involved in while we’re there.

8. New agreements between ICANN and Verisign

There are two different aspects to consider, one is to clarify the role of the ASO and the NRO and the second thing is to deal with this request from ICANN to comment on these agreements.

RE commented that there are some implications to be analyzed regarding the budget of ICANN and the transition of some parts of the root server system functions.

It was realized that comments were called for but that there is no deadline for these comments, at least on the website.

The following actions were decided:

NRO EC 05-100 051108  RP: To put some comments together regarding the agreements between ICANN and Verisign after receiving the ICANN explanation that will be sent by RE

9. AC New Member Procedures

RP: Informed that The AC has put together a set of procedures for welcoming new members and they need to be approved by the EC.

NRO EC 05-101 051108  RP will put together something formal so that we can vote on AC New Members Procedures in Tunis

10. Any Other Business

A. ECG Issues (Proposed by RE).  RE: Informed about discussions regarding IPv4 live time. RE proposed to work together among the RIRs, within the framework of the NRO, to take some measures in order to optimize the usage of IPv4.

RP: ARIN like to discuss as well. This was agreed by all.

B. Joint Whois (Proposed by RE). The EC acknowledged the email sent by Frederico Neves regarding JWhois, the engineers are waiting for decisions on EC side. It was decided to discuss this matter during the meeting to be held next week.

C. 6 to 4.  It was decided to discuss this matter during the meeting to be held next week.

11. Adjournment

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 22:20 UTC.

Comments are closed.