12 April 2005

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 050412

Participants

Axel Pawlik (AP)
Paul Wilson
Ray Plzak (RP)
Adiel Akplogan (AA)
Raul Echeberria (RE)

At 12:00 UTC Chair convenes the meeting

AGENDA

1) Agenda bashing
2) Approval of minutes of the meeting held last 15th March
3) Review of action list.
4) NRO incorporation
5) AFRINIC – Status of cooperation.
5.a – signing NRO joinder
5.b – signing papers with RIPE NCC / ARIN / APNIC
5.c – preparing ASO MoU joinder for Luxembourg
6) IPv6 Global Policy
7) Future actions regarding discussion of national allocations/reservation
8) Mar del Plata activities.
8.a – Meeting with Vint Cerf in Mar del Plata
8.b – Talks with Doug Barton of IANA about IPv6 Management.
8.c – Contacts with GAC Liaison
9) Proposal regarding “Deputy Secretariat”
10) Roundtable Luxembourg
11) Funding ASO appointed ICANN Board Members to be in AFRINIC 2.
12) AOB

1) Agenda bashing

All agree with the agenda

AP. To add in AOB section of the agenda the ASO policy procedures posted in ICANN website

RP Ask to add a topic about Registration Services meeting at Orlando

PW Ask to add a topic about actions to be taken after IPv4 global policy recognition from ICANN Board

AA Ask to add a topic about NRO EC meeting in Maputo

2) Approval of minutes of the meeting held last 15th March

AP. Some little confusion in item 7 and item 6 regarding the GAC Liaison Statement and IANA Services contract.

No further comments received

NRO-EC 05-28 050412

AP. To send to the EC list the modifications regarding item 6 and 7 from minutes held in March 15 th 2005 and add this to the minutes

3) Review of action list.

Actions reviewed.

4) NRO incorporation

RP. We have the agree to incorporate and do it in Uruguay. We need to establish a date to finish this. Two things to consider who is going to sign it and we are going to have a ceremony or doing it through the distribution of the document.

AP. Document may be circulated in the RIR Board list. To set everything to sign by the first of July.

RP Document should be ready by the 30 of June.

RE We need to decide if we sign the document or the chairman of our boards as representatives of our organizations. Personally I would like to have the chairman signing the document.

AP. Depends on what the RIR boards decides. We need to prepare a set of documents and circulate them in the RIR board list so they have time to review and have everything done by the end of June.

5) AFRINIC – Status of cooperation.

– signing NRO joinder

AP The joinder documents have been circulated in the EC list. I may sign it if you are agree in Maputo

RP. Yes you can do it as NRO chair

AA There is a blank in April 26th from 9.45 to 10.15 where we can do the signing.

AP. OK, signing ceremony of NRO joinder document in April 26 th 9.45 to 10.15 by AP and AA

– signing papers with RIPE NCC / ARIN / APNIC

AA. Ray sent the document already

RP. RIR need to transfer the necessary documents to AFRINIC to deal with allocations made by the original RIR in the region.

NRO-EC 05-29 050412
AP To take to Maputo meeting the documents regarding to the AFRICA allocations made by RIPE and need now by AFRINIC

– preparing ASO MoU joinder for Luxembourg

RP. No requirement The ASO MoU is between NRO and ICANN

RE After the signature of the NRO joinder the chair should elaborate a formal communication to ICANN and ASO AC members.

NRO-EC 05-30 050412
AP. After the Maputo meeting to send a formal communication to ICANN and ASO AC regarding the join of AFRINIC to the NRO.

RE Even though AFRINIC is another RIR we should continue the cooperation bindings with AFRINIC through the NRO. If AFRINIC is agree of course.

AA We are very to open to continue the cooperation with the others RIR. The cooperation should continue.

RE I proposed to have a resolution based on the NRO agreement to continue collaborating with AFRINIC, appointing Richard Jimmerson as the coordinator of this cooperation

All in Favor

NRO-EC 05-31 050412
All. To continue the cooperation efforts with AFRINIC appointing Richard Jimmerson as the coordinator.

6) IPv6 Global Policy

RP. We need to move this along. Slides containing the IPv6 Global Policy Proposal is the same presented in APNIC and the same to be presented in the next meeting in Orlando and Maputo.

NRO-EC 05-32 050412
RP. To send slides about IPv6 Global Policy to be used in Stockholm.

7) Future actions regarding discussion of national allocations/reservations

AP. Propose to do an investigation regarding the consequences of the implementation of reservation of IPv6 space for nations.

RP. I agree. We need to positively describe how NIR systems. We need to have a discussing paper describing the RIR systems, how it works.

AP. we can have then the scientific bases about the implementation of national reservations. We need to review this and see the impacts not only technical but in the system.

PW I agree with the proactively attitude from the RIR regarding the research about the country reservation. Whatever how the research end up this service should be provided by the RIR. Consider a parallel system besides RIR it is not good idea.

AP We are facing perhaps two kinds of studies, one about the size of the reservations and other about the technical impacts so the community can decide if this is good for the system.

AA For me, is two level of research, the first one is to say yes or no, second how this reservations should be done.

RP. Someone should put together the questions to be asked to the round table regarding the national allocations. RP reminds that is not a policy proposal but the round table will discuss themes present in the policy fora.

NRO-EC 05-33 050412
PW. To prepare questions and points to be presented to IPv6 Round Table in Orlando

NRO-EC 05-34 050412
All. To prepare the right wording regarding the research to be conducting for national reservations.

8) Mar del Plata activities.

8.a – Meeting with Vint Cerf in Mar del Plata

AP. We have a meeting with Vint Cerf in Tuesday morning. Vint Cerf very eager to have the IANA services contract ready by Luxembourg.

8.b – Talks with Doug Barton of IANA about IPv6 Management.

RP. We need to do sit down and see everything we are doing with IANA. We have service contract we have also procedural things. We need to sit down with them and write a document these are the thing we got in place and these are the things we need to happen. We need to have a conversation with senior staff about the rol of the IAB in the IANA.

AA. Maybe we can a meeting together with ICANN/IANA staff and IAB in IETF similar to the held in FIJI.

RE We need to have more discussion about this point and be care of not having strong complains.

RP we need to address this in a positive way but be ready to point out some deficiencies in the current services.

NRO-EC 05-35 050412
RP. To draft a problem statement about IPv6 IANA services and send it formally to Paul Twomey, Vint Cerf and Paul Verhoef including a request to meet them.

8.c – Contacts with GAC Liaison

RP. I think is important they see how policy is discussed and they understand this. Avoid misunderstanding between GAC and RIR. We need to make a little pressure and make things happens

RE we can end a friendly email to Sharyl and vice chairman of GAC, to propose to have a Liaison for the next ICANN meeting.

AP. Yes, a document will be send to the GAC asking them for this issue.

NRO-EC 05-36 050412
AP. To prepare a document and send it to the GAC asking for the designation of GAC liaison to RIR

9) Proposal regarding “Deputy Secretariat”

RP I circulated a brief message to the EC list, I propose we look at the duties of the secretariat. We are now 5 RIR now and we have two that in essential are idle. I propose to have a deputy or assistant secretariat in charge of the more mechanical or routines tasks like taking minutes as support of the rotative Secretariat. Then we have 4 RIR involved in activities. I can review what tasks to be done by this deputy secretariat and come back with a more concrete proposal

RE. I don’t see the need to change the current structure. Perhaps we can pass some tasks to another RIR but this should be done depending on the case.

RP There is a lot of work to be done and share the load is a good thing.

NRO-EC 05-37 050412
RP. To identify those routine or mechanical tasks that may be performed by a deputy secretariat and make a proposal to the list.

10) Roundtable Luxembourg

AP. Propose to move on in the agenda, and we keep on the planning

11) Funding ASO appointed ICANN Board Members to be in AFRINIC 2.

RP We don’t have an agreement about funding travel to ASO AC members, secondly what would be the criteria for funding future travels of ICANN Board members?

PW ICANN Board Members are funded by ICANN

RP They do that for ICANN meetings

RE This is not because of the AFRINIC but the ASO AC meeting.

RP It is expected that ICANN board member be in the ASO AC meetings?

RE I think is good to have this point because, what kind of relationship we want to have with the ICANN Board members appointed by the ASO AC. It could be a good idea to have them in the workshop to report about ICANN Board.

AP. Took a poll regarding this point. Results: 3 no 2 abstentions

NRO-EC 05-38 050412
RE. To communicate to interested parties the EC decision about funding travels of ICANN board to ASO AC physical meetings.

12) Any Other Business

– ASO procedures document

RP I observe some inaccuracies that need to be addressed in the document so I can prepare some comments and send to the EC list.

NRO-EC 05-39 050412
RP. To elaborate comments about ASO – ICANN procedures document and send them to the EC list.

– Unused IP address recovering

RE. We have the equivalent of more than 6 /8 that has not been allocated in the ERX space. The important thing is to announce about this space is free. If we make this announcement we can reflex more accurate statistical information

NRO-EC 05-40 050412
RE To send detail information to EC list about the free space found through the ERX space.

NRO EC 05-41 050412
RE To prepare a formal proposal to be presented in EC meeting in Maputo about the administration of free space found in ERX space.

– Registration Services Meeting in Orlando

RP Two discussion about joint statistics. One is the ftp site statistics. The other one is the graphical presentation information. We have to be careful to have those conversations together.

– NRO Participation in the IPv6 ITU Workshop

AP John Klensin agree chairing the session if we are comfortable with that. I will attend to that meeting as NRO chair.

NRO EC 05-42 050412
AP To send an email to John Klensin about RIR are comfortable with his rol of chair in the IPv6 ITU Workshop.

– Actions to be taken about IPv4 global policy

PW what you think we need to do. Any public actions?

AP. We should make an announcement. The secretariat may pick it up.

NRO EC 05-43 050412
RE To prepare an announcement about the ICANN Board ratification for IPv4 Global Policy.

– NRO EC meeting in Maputo

AA. I am suggesting to have it on Wednesday 27 th in the morning. Should be breakfast. In the Hotel Avenida. In a private room.

Chair adjourn meeting at 13.55 UTC

NEW ACTIONS LIST

NRO-EC 05-28 050412
AP. To send to the EC list the modifications regarding item 6 and 7 from minutes held in March 15 th 2005 and add this to the minutes

NRO-EC 05-29 050412
AP To take to Maputo meeting the documents regarding to the AFRICA allocations made by RIPE and need now by AFRINIC

NRO-EC 05-30 050412
AP. After the Maputo meeting to send a formal communication to ICANN and ASO AC regarding the join of AFRINIC to the NRO.

NRO-EC 05-31 050412
All. To continue the cooperation efforts with AFRINIC appointing Richard Jimmerson as the coordinator.

NRO-EC 05-32 050412
RP. To send slides about IPv6 Global Policy to be used in Stockholm.

NRO-EC 05-33 050412
PW. To prepare questions and points to be presented to IPv6 Round Table in Orlando

NRO-EC 05-34 050412
All. To prepare the right wording regarding the research to be conducting for national reservations.

NRO-EC 05-35 050412
RP. To identify those routine or mechanical tasks that may be performed by a deputy secretariat and make a proposal to the list.

NRO-EC 05-36 050412
RP. To draft a problem statement about IPv6 IANA services and send it formally to Paul Twomey, Vint Cerf and Paul Verhoef including a request to meet them.

NRO-EC 05-37 050412
AP. To prepare a document and send it to the GAC asking for the designation of GAC liaison to RIR

NRO-EC 05-38 050412
RE. To communicate to interested parties the EC decision about funding travels of ICANN board to ASO AC physical meetings.

NRO-EC 05-39 050412
RP. To elaborate comments about ASO – ICANN procedures document and send them to the EC list.

NRO-EC 05-40 050412
RE To send detail information to EC list about the free space found through the ERX space.

NRO EC 05-41 050412
RE To prepare a formal proposal to be presented in EC meeting in Maputo about the administration of free space found in ERX space.

NRO EC 05-42 050412
AP To send an email to John Klensin about RIR are comfortable with his rol of chair in the IPv6 ITU Workshop

NRO EC 05-43 050412
RE To prepare an announcement about the ICANN Board ratification for IPv4 Global Policy.

Comments are closed.