29 July 2004

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 040729

Teleconference
29 July 2004, 2300 UTC

Draft Minutes V1.0

Participants: Raúl Echeberría (RE), Axel Pawlik (AP), Ray Plzak (RP), Paul Wilson (PW),
Adiel Akplogan (AA), observer

AGENDA

1. Opening, new agenda points, apologies
2. Previous Minutes
3. Review of action items
4. WSIS WG – current status (report from KL)
5. NRO contributions to WGIG
6. ASO MoU – next steps
7. NRO incorporation
8. ICANN fee status/payments
9. AFRINIC status
10. AFRINIC.net IANA issue
11. AFRINIC/NRO MoU followup
12. Meeting with Doug Barton in Fiji
13. IANA & Policy Making
a. IPv6 policy
14. Steve Crocker on DNSSEC
15. SSAC – IP Address Hijacking
16. NRO Advertising (Raúl)
17. Liaison to the GAC
18. Tracking of Action Items
19. ICANN NomCom calls

New Actions
Old Actions


1. Opening, new agenda points, apologies

Added Items 17-19 to distributed agenda.

2. Previous Minutes

PW sending corrections, typographical,
RP moves that minutes, including PW corrections, be approved.
AP seconds, motion carries 4:0:0.

3. Review of action items

Actions items were marked as appropriate.

NRO-EC 04-43, 040729:
PW to follow-up with ECG chair (see NRO-EC 04-34)

4. WSIS WG – current status (report from KL)

An open meeting is scheduled for Geneva in September, deadline for establishment is October. Discussion about NRO supported nominee(s) for the WGIG. Agreement to name all NRO EC members, including AA, to maximize geographic diversity. It is not expected that more than one delegate be choosen.

The NRO seems to be perceived as siding with the ITU.

Concern from the GAC about lack of inclusiveness as per ASO MoU.

AP and RP think that is would be good to send invitation letter to GAC chair for establishing liaison, PW supportive.

RP moves that NRO explores the possibility to establish a liaison with GAC asap.
AP seconds, 400.

NRO-EC 04-44, 040729:
RP to draft a GAC Liaison invitation.

5. NRO contributions to WGIG

Discussion of nature of possible NRO contributions to the WGIG.
RP moves to contribute 50k USD to WGIG, to be apportioned according to usual formula.
RE: seconds, motion carries 4:0:0.

NRO-EC 04-45, 040729:
RE to calculate individual contributions.

NRO-EC 04-46, 040729:
PW to communicate decision to Marcus Kummer.

6. ASO MoU – next steps

The NRO has not received any formal response from ICANN on last MoU draft.

RP proposes private letter to Twomey enquiring about next steps, after MoU was not discussed by ICANN board.

NRO-EC 04-47:
RE to draft letter to Twomey enquiring about next steps regarding ASO MoU.

Letter to be sent by Chair.

PW: Dengate-Thrush and Cade are developing liaison description and are willing to share. RP offers to contact Cade locally.

7. NRO incorporation

Legal team discussing form of incorporation.
RE suggests to ask all attorneys to propose one or two places from each region to be considered.
PW: APNIC EC interested in keeping numbers small.

RP and AP researching establishing a bank account for the NRO in the US and NL.

8. ICANN fee status/payments

RE proposes to pay full dues after MoU signature. No further payment before service contract. RP, PW agree, and have discretion to pay. AP needs to confirm with RIPE NCC board, as this deviates from his earlier proposal.

NRO-EC 04-48, 040729:
AP to find board opinion on immediate full payment of all ICANN dues.

RP proposes to invite AFRINIC lawyers into legal team.
All agree.

NRO-EC 04-49, 040729:
RP to instruct ARIN counsel to contact AFRINIC counsel.

9. AFRINIC status

AA updates AFRINIC status. Co-Evaluation with RIPE NCC to be started by 15 August.
Given update and communicated with ICANN staff in KL. Final application expected shortly. New staff, admin assistant in Mauritius, working on business administration setup. Technical infrastructure is in place and ready to start operations.

RP clarifies that only full approval means fully independent operations.
When LACNIC received provisional approval, request flow was reversed to go to LACNIC first and then to ARIN.

AA: Happy with support from RIRs, getting all that is needed. Explanation of KL events: AFRINIC is becoming political in African governments, also African ICANN board member. Clarification happened. Getting recognition will close a lot of political discussions.

RP: Important for ICANN to realize that RIRs are more than consultants to ICANN, but full partners in the process.

RE: Suggests that AA points out our formal agreement with NRO (as opposed to individual RIRs).

RE leaving the meeting at 1300 UTC.

10. AFRINIC.net IANA issue

RP: Concerned about the fact that GAC recommendation to ICANN that some names be reserved should be used by IANA to block agreement for name transfer to legitimate user.

AA: Barton never replied to several mails sent before KL.

NRO-EC 04-50, 040729:
AP to draft mail to Vint Cerf about this.

11. AFRINIC/NRO MoU followup

AA notes that AFRINIC would like to receive some more payments from the NRO.
RP: Need “detailed reporting on accounts”.

NRO-EC 04-51, 040729:
AA to re-send spending report.

12. Meeting with Doug Barton in Fiji

PW: Barton accepted invitation, Twomey agreed.

13. IANA & Policy Making
a. IPv6 policy

PW notes that we should be agreeing within a week to agree on wording of global IPv6 policy, in preparation of various RIR meetings and also the Barton meeting.

NRO-EC 04-52, 040729:
All, to agree on text for global IPv6 policy proposal.

NRO-EC 04-53, 040729:
All, to agree on agenda for Barton/Twomey meeting.

14. Steve Crocker on DNSSEC

Item skipped.

15. SSAC – IP Address Hijacking

RP reports that SSAC would like to coordinate with NRO.
RP volunteers to take the lead on this.

16. NRO Advertising (Raúl)

RP proposes for RW that NRO have t-shirts and leaflets for the ICANN Cape Town meeting. RP proposes to have CCG work on this.

RP: Discussion with counsel, good connections to press. Use these for “NRO story” and our take on WSIS. Real interest with big press agencies. About to flesh out this activity. We must have this firmly established in December, prior to February Geneva PrepCom on Internet Governance.

In general, joint releases should come from the NRO first, and the RIRs referring to that.

17. Liaison to the GAC

See item 4.

18. Tracking of Action Items

AP will remind EC two weeks prior to meetings of outstanding actions.

NRO-EC 04-54, 040729:
Secretariat to remind EC of outstanding actions two weeks before EC meetings.

19. ICANN NomCom calls

Peake was pointing out that nominations are still open for various positions. We should quickly discuss NRO nominations.

Also, the SSAC needs new members.

Meeting adjouned at 1343.


NEW ACTIONS

NRO-EC 04-43, 040729:
PW to follow-up with ECG chair (see NRO-EC 04-34)

NRO-EC 04-44, 040729:
RP to draft a GAC Liaison invitation.

NRO-EC 04-45, 040729:
RE to calculate individual RIR contributions towards WGIG.

NRO-EC 04-46, 040729:
PW to communicate decision to contribute to WGIG to Marcus Kummer.

NRO-EC 04-47, 040729:
RE to draft letter to Twomey enquiring about next steps regarding ASO MoU.

NRO-EC 04-48, 040729:
AP to find board opinion on immediate full payment of all ICANN dues.

NRO-EC 04-49, 040729:
RP to instruct ARIN counsel to contact AFRINIC counsel.

NRO-EC 04-50, 040729:
AP to draft mail to Vint Cerf about AFRINIC.net IANA blockade.

NRO-EC 04-51, 040729:
AA to re-send spending report.

NRO-EC 04-52, 040729:
All, to agree on text for global IPv6 policy proposal.

NRO-EC 04-53, 040729:
All, to agree on agenda for Barton/Twomey meeting.

NRO-EC 04-54, 040729:
Secretariat to remind EC of outstanding actions two weeks before EC meetings.

OLD ACTIONS

NRO-EC 04-42, 040616:
RP: To draft invitation to Doug Barton, for a meeting with NRO EC.
ONGOING
Has been invited and has accepted. Finalizing date.

NRO-EC 04-43, 040616:
PW to draft cover note for sending revised MoU document to ICANN.
DONE

NRO-EC 04-44, 040616:
RP to finalise the “Comments on comments” document.
DONE

NRO-EC 04-45, 040616:
AP to re-send NCC position on fund release to EC, others to add details.
DONE

NRO-EC 04-46, 040616:
RP to draft request to delegate in-addr.arpa to the NRO.
OPEN, need to look at ipv6.arpa and v6.int, too

NRO-EC 04-47, 040616:
AP to check status of Joint Whois workplan with chair of ECG.
OPEN

NRO-EC 04-49, 040616:
RP to suggest to Leslie Daigle to add Geoff Huston to rir-ietf list.
OPEN due to discussion.

NRO-EC 04-50, 040616:
RE to draft comments to the ICANN budget proposal.
DONE

NRO-EC 04-31, 040505:
RE to draft comment to ICANN. “Appreciate information, request clarification on process on high level.”
OVERTAKEN

NRO-EC 04-33, 040505:
RP (was JC): Draft and circulate NRO Coordination Group work principles.
OPEN

NRO-EC 04-34, 040505:
PW: To respond to ECG chair’s message of concern of 040505.
DONE informally

NRO-EC 04-36, 040505:
AP: circulate access password for EC, ECG, CCG archives.
OPEN

NRO-EC 04-38, 040505:
Chair: To communicate IPv4 global policy to AC for forwarding to the ICANN board.
OPEN

NRO-EC 04-41, 040505:
AP: To set up liaison@nro.net
OVERTAKEN

NRO-EC 04-27, 040329:
RP: To contact IAB chair to agree on formal details of liaison.
OVERTAKEN

Comments are closed.