5 May 2004

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 040505

040505, Amsterdam

Participants: John Curran (JC), Raúl Echeberría (RE), Axel Pawlik (AP) (minutes), Paul Wilson (PW),
Observer: Adiel Akplogan (AA), Sabine Mader (SM) (For part of the meeting)

AGENDA
1. Opening, New Agenda Points, Apologies
2. Previous minutes
3. Actions
4. ICANN budget
5. AFRINIC activities report
6. Communication with other NRO groups
7. IANA issues
– 7.1 IPv4 allocations
– 7.2 IPv6 AFRINIC allocation
8. IPv6 press release
9. NRO liaison role
10. AOB

1. Opening, New Agenda Points, Apologies
The Chair convened the meeting at 1205 UTC. The agenda was agreed as reflected above.

2. Previous Minutes
RE moved, JC seconded to approve the minutes of the NRO EC meeting of 040329,
Motion carried 4:0:0

3. Actions
Actions were marked as appropriate.

4. ICANN budget
RE forwarded information from ICANN. Summary: This is not the official information, PT says they would send final proposal, nothing received yet. RE reported from his teleconference with Kurt Pritz.

Agreement is noted in the EC that the absolute figure for total RIR contributions is not the biggest concern, but rather the process of arriving at this budget, and ensuring a binding agreement with ICANN about the NRO’s financial contribution from year to year (similar to draft contract of 02 provisions).

NRO-EC 04-31, 040505:
RE to draft comment to ICANN. “Appreciate information, request clarification on process on high level.”

5. AFRINIC activities report
Agreement on the draft AFRINIC activity report as circulated by AP by e-mail was noted unanimously.

NRO-EC 04-32, 040505:
Chair: Send letter by e-mail and post to ICANN.

AA expects to apply to ICANN for provisional recognition during the ICANN KL meeting.

RE advises to set expectations of deliverables from each ICANN meeting.
AA expects to get a reaction from ICANN even before their Cape Town meeting.

AA notes that NRO will receive first report on spending as agreed, soon.

6. Communication with other NRO groups
JC observes that Coordination Groups should be tasked with working items, as opposed to the Coordination Groups creating action items for the NRO EC.

NRO-EC 04-33, 040505:
JC: Draft and circulate NRO Coordination Group work principles.

NRO-EC 04-34, 040505:
PW: To respond to ECG chair’s message of concern of 040505.

NRO-EC 04-35, 040505:
AP: to assemble current list of issues from ECG, attach to these minutes.

NRO-EC 04-36, 040505:
AP: circulate access password for EC, ECG, CCG archived.

7. IANA issues

7.1 IPv4 allocations
APNIC received two /8s recently. Quick turnaround time, but had asked for 3 blocks, as 18 month requirement was met. IANA staff however subtracted current free space from the request, raising the issue of consistent interpretation of the policy.

Agreement noted that IANA interpretation in itself is not unreasonable.

NRO-EC 04-37, 040505:
AP/PW: Ask Reg Services staff to compare notes on recent IPv4 requests / allocation and report to NRO EC.

NRO-EC 04-38, 040505:
Chair: To communicate IPv4 global policy to AC for forwarding to the ICANN board.

7.2 IPv6 AFRINIC allocation issue
NRO-EC 04-39, 040505:
JC: Facilitate IANA /23 allocation to AFRINIC, formally allocate to ARIN “on behalf of AFRINIC”.

8. IPv6 Press Release
NRO-EC 04-40, 040505:
JC: To communicate final agreement with draft to Jordi Palet after ARIN board review, before Wednesday.

9. NRO liaison role
Agreement was noted that NRO must be able to keep track of contacts and ensure short turnaround times. Discussion of proposed candidate and mechanism ensued. JC voices concern about creating a staff position. Possibility to create “liaison@nro.net” to be forwarded to NRO EC plus designated candidate who will act internally.

NRO-EC 04-41, 040505:
AP: To set up liaison@nro.net

10. AOB

10.1 Nro.net issue (PW)
Use nro.net.
Do not change to INRO.

10.2 SSAC referral regarding address hijacking
Agreement noted that with closing qualifier / comment the initiative is not objectionable.

NRO-EC 04-42, 040505:
JC: Request clarification on nature of policy initiative with Steve Crocker.

Add ECG issues.
Complete Action List and update.

NEW ACTIONS

NRO-EC 04-31, 040505:
RE to draft comment to ICANN. “Appreciate information, request clarification on process on high level.”
OPEN

NRO-EC 04-32, 040505:
Chair: Send letter by e-mail and post to ICANN.
e-mail DONE
post OPEN

NRO-EC 04-33, 040505:
JC: Draft and circulate NRO Coordination Group work principles.
OPEN

NRO-EC 04-34, 040505:
PW: To repond to ECG chair’s message of concern of 040505.
OPEN

NRO-EC 04-35, 040505:
AP: to assemble current list of issues from ECG, attach to these minutes.
DONE

NRO-EC 04-36, 040505:
AP: circulate access password for EC, ECG, CCG archived.
OPEN

NRO-EC 04-37, 040505:
AP/PW: Ask Reg Services staff to compare notes on recent IPv4 requests / allocation and report to NRO EC.
AP: DONE
PW:

NRO-EC 04-38, 040505:
Chair: To communicate IPv4 global policy to AC for forwarding to the ICANN board.
OPEN

NRO-EC 04-39, 040505:
JC: Facilitate IANA /23 allocation to AFRINIC, formally allocate to ARIN “on behalf of AFRINIC”.
OPEN

NRO-EC 04-40, 040505:
JC: To communicate final agreement with draft to Jordi Palet after ARIN board review, before Wednesday.
OPEN

NRO-EC 04-41, 040505:
AP: To set up liaison@nro.net
OPEN

OLD ACTIONS

NRO-EC 04-19, 040303: All: To send travel plans to NRO secretary.
OPEN NRO-EC 04-20, 040303: AP: To update travel list and to propose NRO EC meeting date around June-July.
OPEN

NRO-EC 04-27, 040329:
RP: To contact IAB chair to agree on formal details of liaison.

NRO-EC 04-30, 040329:
AP: To facilitate the necessary changes. (To move gar-boards@arin.net to rir-boards@nro.net)
OPEN

DONE ACTIONS

NRO-EC 03-02, 031118: ALL, arrange for nro@<rir>.net to be forwarded to axel@ripe.net AP: done PW: open RE: open RP: open

OVERTAKEN NRO-EC 03-04, 031118: ALL, establish links to NRO website DONE NRO-EC 03-05, 031118: All, appoint staff to NRO Engineering Coordination Group DONE NRO-EC 03-05b, 031118: All, appoint staff to NRO Communications Coordination Group DONE

NRO-EC 04-07, 040303: All: To review NRO logo drafts and provide comments to PW. DONE NRO-EC 04-16, 040303: AP: To ask RIR policy group to synthesise a proposal for presentation at the upcoming LACNIC meeting in Montevideo. DONE

NRO-EC 04-23, 040329:
RP: To produce draft reply to ECG.
OVERTAKEN

NRO-EC 04-24, 040329:
RP: Draft cover letter to AC.
DONE

NRO-EC 04-25, 040329:
PW: After agreement, send note to AC.
DONE

NRO-EC 04-26, 040329:
RP: To draft cover letter to AC. (IPv4 global policy)
OVERTAKEN by 04-38

NRO-EC 04-28, 040329:
AP and RP: To exchange agendas of the respective meetings.
DONE

NRO-EC 04-29, 040329:
All: To review AA’s draft.
DONE
document to ec@nro.net

Comments are closed.