3 March 2004

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 040303

Rome, Italy
3 March 2004

Draft Minutes, v1.1

Participants: Raúl Echeberría (RE), Axel Pawlik (AP), Paul Wilson (PW)
Observer: Adiel Akplogan (AA)
Minutes were taken by Sabine Mader (SM).

AGENDA
1. Opening, New Agenda Points, Apologies
2. Minutes
3. Actions
4. AFRINIC MoU
5. IANA Ipv4 allocation for AFRINIC
6. ICANN NRO response
7. Letter to UN ICT TF
8. Budget group report
9. NRO Technical role
10. NRO Logo
11. NRO Mission statement
12. NRO 101 presentation
13. AFRINIC status report
14. NRO technical reports
15. Travel expenses for NRO secretariat
16. AOB
17. Next meeting

1. Opening, New Agenda Points, Apologies PW convened the meeting at 1018 am.
New agenda points:
– Acknowledgement of the reports for the CTO group
– Travel expenses for Secretariat

Apologies were received from Richard Jimmerson on behalf of Ray Plzak (RP),
ARIN. All send their best wishes to RP.

2. Minutes
The draft minutes of the previous meetings have been published as draft.

The draft minutes of the first meeting on 18/19 November 2003 were formally
approved.

The draft minutes of the second meeting (by teleconference) on 10 December 2003
were reviewed and approved.

3. Actions
The actions were marked as appropriate, see attached actionlist.

4. AFRINIC MoU
The initial MoU draft was presented and reviewed.
AA confirmed that the schedule was realistic.
PW proposed that before payments 2-5 financial reports should be provided.
Accepted by acclamation.

NRO-EC 04-01, 040303:
AP: Re-draft AFRINIC MoU

NRO-EC 04-02, 040303:
AP: to task the Communications Coord Group to draft a press release.
PW proposed that spending guidelines be provided.

NRO-EC 04-03, 040303:
PW: to provide a text with spending guidelines.

5. IANA IPv4 allocation for AFRINIC
PW reported about a meeting with Doug Barton.
RE expressed the importance of having written documentation about the communication with IANA.

NRO-EC 04-04, 040303:
PW: To send formal letter with positive wording to IANA

6. ICANN NRO response
The NRO EC noted the meeting invitation from Paul Twomey for Friday, 5 March at 8:00 am.

7. Letter to UN ICT TF
PW distributed a re-drafted letter.

NRO-EC 04-05, 040303:
ALL: To read the letter and send comments to PW, who will send to UN Secretary General, copy Swiss eEnvoy and possible WG chair Kummer, chair and vice chair of UN ICT TF.

NRO-EC 04-06, 040303:
AP: Provide PW with Mr. Kummer’s e-mail address.

8. Budget group report
RE reported from the Budget group meeting on Monday. The further group schedule appears very ambitious. Apparently the ICANN budget will increase significantly.

9. NRO Staffing
A proposal was tabled to share cost of potential NRO staff.

RE noted that the LACNIC board was not supportive of adding staff to the NRO as it was still un-incorporated, and staffing was not a priority. It was agreed that joint RIR staffing needs could be supported multilaterally without NRO involvement.

10. NRO Logo
PW provided a second batch of NRO logo drafts.

NRO-EC 04-07, 040303:
All: To review NRO logo drafts and provide comments to PW.

11. NRO Mission statement
NRO-EC 04-08, 040303:
All: To review RP’s Mission statement draft and to provide comments.

12. NRO 101 presentation
The presentation as prepared by PW was reviewed.
AP proposed to publish it on the NRO website.
RE suggested to prior send the slides to all for suggested amendments.

NRO-EC 04-09, 040303:
PW: To send NRO 101 presentation given in Kuala Lumpur to NRO EC

NRO-EC 04-10, 040303:
AP: To publish NRO 101 presentation on NRO website.

13. AFRINIC status report
AA gave a detailed status report on the progress of AFRINIC, which is also available on the AFRINIC website.

14. NRO technical reports
NRO-EC 04-11, 040303:
PW: To acknowledge receipt of NRO ECG report and to ask for summary of
outstanding issues.

NRO-EC 04-12, 040303:
AP: To add Ernest as observer to NRO ECG and to inform chair of ECG.

15. Travel expenses NRO secretariat
NRO-EC 04-13, 040303:
AP: To send ICANN expense sharing spreadsheet to Treasurer.

NRO-EC 04-14, 040303:
AP: To summarise functioning of splitting agreement.

16. AOB
– ICANN WSIS workshop
PW was scheduled to represent the NRO on the workshop panel during the ICANN meeting in Rome.

– New IPv6 policy
PW was asked by the APNIC EC to ask for coordination among the RIRs.

NRO-EC 04-15, 040303:
AP: To circulate link to IPv6 addressing needs study undertaking at RIPE NCC.

NRO-EC 04-16, 040303:
AP: To ask RIR policy group to synthesise a proposal for presentation at the upcoming LACNIC meeting in Montevideo.

– ISP Constituency.
It was noted that some concerns about the NRO and about the process to agree a new MoU between NRO and ICANN, were expressed in the ISP Constituency’s meeting during ICANN Rome. It was also noted that the AC Chair participated in this meeting and on the debate. The NRO EC was not aware that this issue would be discussed in the ISP’s constituency meeting. It was not known whether this was a co-ordinated AC activity.

NRO-EC 04-17, 040303:
AP: To liaise with AC on the ISP Constituency issue with regard to the draft MoU between NRO and ICANN.

– Status of global IPv4 allocation policy

NRO-EC 04-18, 040303:
AP: To summarise status of IPv4 allocation policy.

17. Next meeting
NRO-EC 04-19, 040303:
All: To send travel plans to NRO secretary.

NRO-EC 04-20, 040303:
AP: To update travel list and to propose NRO EC meeting date around June-July.

PW adjourned the meeting at 13:06

NEW ACTIONS:

NRO-EC 04-01, 040303:
AP: Re-draft AFRINIC MoU
done

NRO-EC 04-02, 040303:
AP: to task the Communications Coord Group to draft a press release.
Done, discussion on focus.

NRO-EC 04-03, 040303:
PW: to provide a text with spending guidelines.
done

NRO-EC 04-04, 040303:
PW: To send formal letter with positive wording to IANA

NRO-EC 04-05, 040303:
ALL: To read the letter (UN ICT TF) and send comments to PW, who will send to UN Secretary General, copy Swiss eEnvoy and possible WG chair Kummer, chair and vice chair of UN ICT TF.
done

NRO-EC 04-06, 040303:
AP: Provide PW with Mr. Kummer’s e-mail address.
done

NRO-EC 04-07, 040303:
All: To review NRO logo drafts and provide comments to PW.
ongoing

NRO-EC 04-08, 040303:
All: To review RP’s Mission statement draft and to provide comments.
done

NRO-EC 04-09, 040303:
PW: To send NRO 101 presentation given in Kuala Lumpur to NRO EC
done

NRO-EC 04-10, 040303:
AP: To publish NRO 101 presentation on NRO website.
done

NRO-EC 04-11, 040303:
PW: To acknowledge receipt of NRO ECG report and to ask for summary of outstanding issues.
Done (RP?)

NRO-EC 04-12, 040303:
AP: To add Ernest as observer to NRO ECG and to inform chair of ECG.
done

NRO-EC 04-13, 040303:
AP: To send ICANN expense sharing spreadsheet to Treasurer.
done

NRO-EC 04-14, 040303:
AP: To summarise functioning of splitting agreement.
done

NRO-EC 04-15, 040303:
AP: To circulate link to IPv6 addressing needs study undertaking at RIPE NCC.
done

NRO-EC 04-16, 040303:
AP: To ask RIR policy group to synthesise a proposal for presentation at the upcoming LACNIC meeting in Montevideo.
Done, -> Vancouver

NRO-EC 04-17, 040303:
AP: To liaise with AC on the ISP Constituency issue with regard to the draft MoU between NRO and ICANN.
done

NRO-EC 04-18, 040303:
AP: To summarise status of IPv4 allocation policy.
done

NRO-EC 04-19, 040303:
All: To send travel plans to NRO secretary.

NRO-EC 04-20, 040303:
AP: To update travel list and to propose NRO EC meeting date around June-July.

OLD ACTIONLIST (as reviewed on 040303):

NRO-EC 03-01, 031118:
AP, draft notification letters and announcements
DONE

NRO-EC 03-02, 031118:
ALL, arrange for nro@<rir>.net to be forwarded to axel@ripe.net
AP: done
PW: open
RE: open
RP: open

NRO-EC 03-03, 031118:
AP, set up NRO website
DONE

NRO-EC 03-04, 031118:
ALL, establish links to NRO website
AP: done
PW: done
RE: done
RP: ?

NRO-EC 03-05, 031118:
All, appoint staff to NRO Engineering Coordination Group
AP: done
PW: done
RE: done
RP: ?

NRO-EC 03-05b, 031118:
All, appoint staff to NRO Communications Coordination Group
AP: done
PW: open
RE: done
RP: ?

NRO-EC 03-06, 031118:
PW to modify his draft response to ICANN according to discussion, and re-circulate.
DONE

NRO-EC 03-09, 031119:
PW to send e-mail to Doug Barton to establish formal relations
OVERTAKEN

NRO-EC 03-10, 031119:
AP will reply to Rosa Delgado, ask for inclusion of all CEO addresses in further e-mails, and convey our willingness to participate.
DONE

NRO-EC 03-11, 031119:
PW to arrange for APNIC designer to start conceptual work.
DONE

NRO-EC 03-12, 031119:
RP to set up similar list to ceos@arin.net
DONE

NRO-EC 03-13, 031210:
AP, communicate appointment to Paul Rendek
DONE




Comments are closed.