19 November 2003

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 031119

La Habana, Cuba
18/19 November 2003

1. Presentation of Credentials
2. Selection of Secretariat and Officers
3. Recognition of AFRINIC Observer
4. Procedures for Conducting Meetings
5. Letters of Notification
6. Statement of Operation of the NRO
7. Recognition of Engineering Coordination Group
8. Activities
9. ASO MoU
10. Parliament Magazine Article
11. IANA Relationship
12. AOB

Participants: Raúl Echeberría (RE), Axel Pawlik (AP), Ray Plzak (RP), Paul Wilson (PW)
Observer: Adiel Akplogan (AA)

Minutes were taken by AP.

1. Presentation of Credentials
RE, AP, RP, PW each confirmed that they have been appointed by their boards to represent their respective RIR.

2. Selection of Secretariat and Officers
According to NRO MoU, the Chair will rotate in synchronisation with the NRO secretariat. However it is noted that the Chair may be from an RIR other than the secretariat.

Functions of the NRO secretariat were proposed to include:
– hosting and maintaining the NRO website,
– hosting teleconferences,
– facilitate meeting minuting,
– provide quarterly reports to treasurer.

It was proposed that the secretariat function will be performed by the RIPE NCC from the day of this meeting until the end of 2004.

It was proposed that the NRO Secretary should be provided by the secretariat RIR, therefore AP will fulfill this position until the end of 2004.

Proposals regarding NRO Secretary and Secretariat were agreed by consensus.

Functions of the chair of the NRO Executive Council were proposed to include:
– representation of the NRO,
– signing of documents as directed,
– chairing of the NRO Executive Council meetings.

It was proposed that the NRO Chair should be provided by the immediate past secretariat, therefore PW will fulfill this position until the end of 2004.

Proposals regarding NRO Chair were agreed by consensus.

Functions of the treasurer of the NRO Executive Council were proposed to include:
– working with the secretariat on financial reporting,
– participating in the ICANN Budget Advisory Group.

It was proposed that the NRO Treasurer should be provided by the immediate future secretariat, therefore RE will fulfill this position until the end of 2004.

Proposals regarding NRO Treasurer were agreed by consensus.

It was further agreed by consensus that new RIRs were to enter last in rotational queue.

3. Recognition of AFRINIC Observer
AP moved to recognise AA as observer for AFRINIC; RP seconded, all in favour.

4. Procedures for Conducting Meetings

4.a. Rules of Order
RP to adopt procedures for conducting meetings (f.i. Robert’s Rules of Order).
Discussion ensued.
Proposal: “To follow commonly accepted rules of order.”
So moved by RP, seconded by AP, abstention by RE, PW in favour.
Proposal thus adopted.

4.b. Posting of Minutes
It was agreed by consensus that draft minutes of EC meetings will be circulated within the EC within five working days after the meeting. Formal approval will take place at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the EC. Until formal approval minutes will be published in draft form on the NRO website. Further it was agreed that minutes should contain decisions taken, explanatory text and informational items as appropriate. The minutes should not be verbatim transcripts of the meeting.

4.c. Regularly Scheduled Meetings
Four regular scheduled meetings will be held each year, approximately once per quarter.
The next regular meeting of the EC will take place during the ICANN meeting in Rome, 2-6 March 2004.

5. Letters of Notification
PW in his function as chair will send a letter of notification (by e-mail) to
a. IAB (Leslie Daigle)
b. IETF (Harald Alvestrand)
c. ICANN (Paul Twomey)
d. IANA (Doug Barton)
e. ISOC (Lynn St Amour)

This letter will detail the signing of the NRO MoU, functions within the NRO EC, and the passing of the constituting meeting of the EC. Further this note should contain the decision as of agenda item 6.a.

A public announcement, consisting of an adaptation of the above letter plus a short backgrounder will be published to RIR policy lists and NRO weblist and used as press release. Release to be done individually, the secretariat will be providing the material.

NRO-EX 03-01: AP will draft all letters.

6. Statement of Operation of the NRO

6.a. Suspend NC and Policy portion of MoU
Proposal: “To suspend Number Council Formation and the policy formation activities of the NRO while good faith negotiation with ICANN are continuing.”

AP moved, RP seconded. All in favour.

6.b. Establish web site and email address
Domain name nro.net and nro.org are registered, as is numbers.org. Efforts to obtain one of those domains are ongoing at ARIN. In the meantime nro@<rir>.net will be forwarded to secretariat.

NRO-EC 03-02: All, arrange for nro@<rir>.net to be forwarded to axel@ripe.net.

Website: All RIRs to have NRO pointer linking to NRO webserver after this is set up, containing mailto and information.

NRO-EC 03-03: AP, set up NRO website.

NRO-EC 03-04: All, establish links to NRO website.

7. Recognition of Engineering Coordination Group
Proposal: “EC establish an NRO Engineering Coordination Group” – RP moved, RE seconded, all agreed.

Each RIR will appoint staff to group.

Secretariat to coordinate group.

NRO-EC 03-05: All, appoint staff to NRO Engineering Coordination Group

Proposal: “To appoint CTO of secretariat RIR as chair of NRO Engineering Coordination Group.” – RP moves, AP seconds, all agree.

NRO Engineering Coordination Group can appoint executive agents to lead projects.

NRO Engineering Coordination Group will formally report to EC, via the group’s Chair.

8. Activities
The NRO Activity Plan contains following ongoing engineering activities:
– ERX
– CRISP
– C-WHOIS

RP in favour of publication C-WHOIS ahead of CRISP adoption.

Further activities:
– statistics
– joint Media Coordination Group.

Similar setup to Engineering Group.

Proposal: “EC establish an NRO Media Coordination Group” – Axel moves, Ray seconds, all approve.

– ongoing policy proposals
This is not deemed to be a matter of activity for the NRO, the individual CEOs are responsible.

9. ASO MoU

9.a. Response to ICANN
It was noted that we have not yet received any formal response from ICANN to the RIRs’ letter notifying ICANN of the NRO formation.

PW circulated a draft note.

NRO-EC 03-06: PW to modify his draft according to discussion, and re-circulate.

RE reports that Paul Twomey would like conference call during the first week of December to talk about WSIS.

[The meeting was adjourned at 1850. The meeting was re-opened on 19 November, 1210.]

A teleconference on 2 Dec at 2200 UTC is possible, PW will notify Paul Twomey.

Will also convey our wish to talk about ASO MoU.

NRO-EC 03-07: PW to contact Paul Twomey to propose teleconference on 2 December 2200 UTC.

10. Parliament Magazine Article
RP reports invitation to contribute 700 word article / one page, this would cost about $ 6.500. AP reports that RIPE NCC has been similarly approached. It was agreed by consensus that this might be appropriate to be undertaken by the NRO.

NRO-EC 03-08: AP to contact some people to find out the validity of the magazine’s claims.

11. IANA Relationship

General
It was decided not to take any action yet with regard to the IANA advisory committee as announced on the ICANN website.

11.a. IANA Allocation Scheme v6
Ray reports from talk with Doug Barton.

NRO-EC 03-09: PW to send e-mail to Doug Barton to establish formal relations.

Ray reports implications of forthcoming large IPv6 allocations for the IANA / ARIN allocations.

12. AOB

12.a. AFRINIC transition meeting.
RE will arrange meeting location on 6th floor, for 0730 on 20 November

12.b. WSIS RIR presentation
AP forwarded mail from Rosa Delgado on possibility of RIR participation in WSIS event. It was agreed by consensus that RE will present on behalf of RIRs, if the event goes through.

NRO-EC 03-10: AP will reply to Rosa Delgado, ask for inclusion of all CEO addresses in further mails, and convey our willingness to participate.

12.c. NRO logo
NRO-EC 03-11: PW to arrange for APNIC designer to start conceptual work.

12.d. NRO mailing list
NRO-EC 03-12: RP to set up similar list to ceos@arin.net

12.e. ICC contribution to WSIS collateral.
AP offered money, RP offered translation services.

It was decided that this was not an NRO matter.

The meeting was adjourned at 1330.

Action List

NRO-EC 03-01, 031118
AP, draft notification letters and announcements

NRO-EC 03-02:, 031118
All, arrange for nro@<rir>.net to be forwarded to axel@ripe.net.

NRO-EC 03-03: 031118
AP, set up NRO website.

NRO-EC 03-04: 031118
All, establish links to NRO website.

NRO-EC 03-05: 031118
All, appoint staff to NRO Engineering Coordination Group.

NRO-EC 03-06: 031118
PW to modify his draft according to discussion, and re-circulate.

NRO-EC 03-07: 031119
PW to contact Paul Twomey to propose teleconference on 2 December 2200 UTC.

NRO-EC 03-08: 031119
AP to contact some people to find out the validity of the magazine’s claims.

NRO-EC 03-09: 031119
PW to send e-mail to Doug Barton to establish formal relations.

NRO-EC 03-10: 031119
AP will reply to Rosa Delgado, ask for inclusion of all CEO addresses in further mails, and convey our willingness to participate.

NRO-EC 03-11: 031119
PW to arrange for APNIC designer to start conceptual work.

NRO-EC 03-12: 031119
RP to set up similar list to ceos@arin.net

Comments are closed.