[IANA-RC] Draft IANA Review Committee procedures

Filiz Yilmaz koalafil at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 12:58:48 CEST 2017

Hi Nurani,

Here is my response below to your question:

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Nurani Nimpuno <nurani at nimblebits.net>
wrote:

<snipped>

> >> I am not sure I understand what you mean here.
> >>
> >> Are you suggesting we vote electronically for everything and take no
> >> decisions during meetings?
> >> If so, I object again:
> >
> > No, I am not suggesting this. My suggestion was limited to major
> > decisions -- in this case changing RC Procedure. The rest of the
> > decisions will continue to be reached via consensus, as specified in
> > the Charter.
>
> Just to seek clarifications on the various positions here:
> Filiz, are you advocating that the operating procedures can be changed
> simply through consensus in the group?

No, I am not advocating the operating procedures can be changed simply
through consensus.
But I am advocating most of the decisions can be made through consensus in
our group and not every decision should be sent for voting.

I think this particular unclarity and corresponding disagreement raises due
to the structure of the document and some specific wording it uses. My
attempt to explain is as follows:

Section 6 is "Rules of Order". 6.1 and 6.2 makes sense, talking about
"Rough Consensus" and "Voting" as 2 possibles rules of order that can be
used in our dealings.

But then the document jumps into talking about "Amending Operating
Procedures" as section 6.3, which is not really a Rule of Order, but a
specific topic which we are now discussing which rule of order should be
used.

I suggest to remove 6.3 and instead have a Section 7 as follows and remove
the word "meeting" too from this section:

7. Amending Operating Procedure
These Operating Procedures may be amended by the Review Committee at any
time. The proposed amendment must receive a majority vote of 80% of all
eligible voting members of the Review Committee (not including abstentions).

I hope this helps.
FIliz