[IANA-RC] [AC-COORD] A Note for need of Second f2f meeting of ASOAC/RC

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Thu Mar 2 16:22:45 CET 2017

Filiz,

Thank you.  I think I have been focusing on the work
rather than the topic of having meetings.

I agree having a f2f meeting is contrary to our charter.

I would prefer avoiding going against our charter.

I would also like to limit the number of f2f meetings (if at all).

I would also like to avoid a 3+ month process of trying to
work through these issues over email and teleconferences.

I am not advocating for more f2f meetings.

I am advocating for using as much available time we have at the ICANN
meeting
to try and ensure we don't need more f2f meetings, and reassess if we don't
make enough progress.

I hope that we can resolve all our boot strapping issues in 1.5 hours,
or at least make enough progress that we can easily and quickly resolve it
over email.

It is not clear to me that there is consensus about the role of the RC,
hence
what is expected of us.  It is not clear to me how contentious this
discussion
might be.

I share most of the concerns put forward in the document.  It is impossible
to use those concerns to justify some number of f2f meetings without knowing
how contentious things will be.  That is why I suggested milestones, and why
my focus has been on getting the work done, and deferring on the topic of
more f2f meetings until we have a better grasp on what is still outstanding.

I think at this point it is more productive to table the discussion on more
f2f
meetings, and shift to a discussion of working through those issues.

Assuming we are still planning to have a f2f at the ICANN meeting, I would
like to use as much of the available time to try and resolve all our boot
strapping
issues or at least make enough progress that we can easily and quickly
resolve it
over email.

Assuming this topic is not contentious, then our procedures should be set
in our
1.5 hours.

Assuming this topic is contentious, then I would like to use all available
time to
work through the issues, and insure the highest likelihood of being far
enough
along that it is clear we will not need more f2f meetings or multiple
months of
email and teleconferences.

___Jason