[NRO-IANAXFER] Budget review?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Jan 13 01:36:17 CET 2015

On 12 Jan 2015, at 23:58, Burkov Dmitry <dvburk at gmail.com> wrote:

> About contribution - it should be corellated to real costs.

Maybe. But at this stage nobody knows for sure what those real costs actually are. And we're now past the deadline for comments too. :-) If any text on money needed to go into the document at this stage -- I don't think it is -- that would probably just be a motherhood and apple pie statement about future RIR contributions to the IANA operator to reflect those actual costs. It wouldn't be wise or necessary to quote actual numbers. Those would inevitably change over time and whenever the scope of the services changed.

> My personal estimation - to serve our function (as it now executed by ICANN) we need 0,5 FTE  or less :)(RIPE NCC COO can tell exact number).
> All others possible expenses it is just a cost of organization - now we donated for it more then  800k$ to ICANN.

I suspect the IANA service to the RIRs costs more than your estimated 0.5 FTE Dima. For starters, there's the operation of the master servers for ip6.arpa and in-addr.arpa (and other stuff under .arpa?) as well as the DNSSEC goop around those two zones. All of that infrastructure didn't just emerge out of thin air. Someone had to design and build it. IANA staff show up at RIR events and other meetings where numbering and routing get discussed. That costs money too.

> It is important - we need qualified personal - I really worry about current trend in current operator.

I'm not sure I understand this. Are you concerned that IANA is unable to retain qualified staff? If so, surely this would be a matter to be resolved by the dispute resolution provisions in a post-NTIA arrangement if and when IANA service to the RIRs was deemed to be unsatisfactory?