[NRO-IANAXFER] Budget review?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Jan 11 15:07:59 CET 2015

On Jan 11, 2015, at 2:52 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com<mailto:seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>> wrote:
Hello Izumi, CRISP team

I observed there is no section talking about budget review in the second draft. I understand 800k+USD is contributed annually to ICANN by all RIRs, may I know if ICANN presents annual budget specifically for this contribution? If yes who does the review? If no then I suggest it be incorporated in our proposal and I think it's something NRO NC can do (yeah yeah I know I may hear the policy vis operation separation thing again.... Sign. :-) )

Sean -

   I have no position with respect to inclusion (or not) of budget review in the
   proposal.   For information sake, I will note that presently the RIRs make
   a voluntary $823,000 contribution annually to ICANN.  To the best of my
   knowledge, there is no budget specifically associated with that contribution,
   although the RIRs are invited to participate in  ICANN’s annual budget
   development process.

   Note also that, in addition to ICANN’s role as the IANA operator, ICANN
   does have a declared mission which includes coordination of the Internet’s
   systems of unique identifiers; i.e. via ICANN, the RIR community does gain
   some benefits from the ability to interact and coordinate with other parties
   on matters of mutual interest which may affect the Internet number registry
   system.   An example of such coordination includes the presentation and
   discussions with ICANN’s various constituencies, including ALAC, GAC,
   etc.   Even if the RIR community were to seek another IANA operator at
   some future point, it would be necessary to review the benefits (unrelated
   to the IANA) from participating in ICANN, determine an appropriate path
   going forward and the appropriate level of contribution involved.

I hope the above information aids in discussion of this topic,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN