John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Jan 10 15:28:46 CET 2015

On Jan 10, 2015, at 3:40 AM, Richard Hill <rhill at hill-a.ch> wrote:
> As I've pointed out before, the top-level IP address block allocations
> published on the IANA web site have not always been up to date.  At present,
> 016/8 is still shown as allocated to Digital Equipment Corporation, when in
> fact it has been transferred to Hewlett Packard, as correctly shown in the
> ARIN WHOIS, see:
>  http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xhtm
> Given that correct allocation information is found in the RIR WHOIS, I think
> that some explanation is needed regarding the value-added of the present
> IANA function, and how continuing it contributes to stability.

Richard -

 I've read the above several times, and still am unclear regarding
 your supposition or proposed change.  The IANA IPv4 address space
 registry shows IPv4 allocations that were made historically, and
 it is correct in that respect. I would encourage reviewing the
 footnotes for additional clarity.

 Regarding the need for operational stability for the IANA functions,
 that would appear to already be well-covered in the proposal text
 for Section I "Description of Community's Use of IANA".  If you
 feel additional detail is needed, please suggest appropriate text.
 I personally find great value in the IANA services that make clear
 which RIR is administering which portion of the unicast address space
 and imagine that the operator community finds it to be similarly useful.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO