[NRO-IANAXFER] Should text of the contract be included? Proposal: Final Call for Comments

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Fri Jan 9 18:11:52 CET 2015

On Fri, 09 Jan 2015, Richard Hill wrote:
> The choice of dispute resolution mechanism and substantive law
> are not "details", they are essential elements of a contract.

Yes, those are important elements of a contract.  The CRISP Team
is not attempting to draft a contract; we are attempting to draft
a proposal, and the proposal suggests a contract as one of the
next steps.

> I don't see how the community can endorse the proposal if it
> does not know what those elements will be.

The CRISP Team is asking the community to endorse the idea of a
contract, to be drafted later, and certain principles that should
be included in the contract.

I'd like to hear opinions from other community members on these
questions:

1. Should ICANN continue to provide the IANA services to the numbering
community (the RIRs and their members)?

2. If so, should there be a formal contract between ICANN and the RIRs?

3. If so, should the contract follow the principles outlines in
section III.A.3 of the CRISP Team's proposal?

4. If so, should the contract be drafted in the remaining days
before 15 January 2015 (when the final proposal is due to be sent
to the ICG), or can it be drafted later, some time between now and
when the transition takes place?

5. If the contract can be drafted later, does the community want
the RIR Boards or executive officers to consult the community
before finalising the contract?

-- Alan Barrett, member of the CRISP Team