Richard Hill rhill at hill-a.ch
Fri Jan 9 13:45:37 CET 2015

Dear Pindar,

While I'm not a lawyer, I do know a bit about arbitration, dispute resolution, and contract law.

>From my point of view, the main purpose of a written contract is to avoid disputes arising: if a contract is clear and comprehensive, the parties know what they are supposed to do.

The main purpose of a dispute resolution clause is to allow for fast and effective resolution of whatever disputes might arise.

Since there have been no disputes to date, that is a good indication that the existing MoU is clear and comprehensive and forms a good basis for the future contract.

Arbitration is a commonly used dispute resolution process for international contracts.  It is an effective method, but it can be expensive (in particular, ICC arbitrations tend to be expensive).  But that can be helpful, because it encourages the parties to find a negotiated solution so as to avoid the cost and complication of the formal arbitration process.

So, I think that an ICC arbitration clause in one of the commonly used neutral jurisdictions (Geneva, Paris, London, Vienna, Stockholm, Bermuda) is appropriate.  Note that the choice of the jurisdiction of the arbitration does not determine the substative law that applies to the contract.

Best,
Richard