John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Jan 9 02:59:16 CET 2015

On Jan 8, 2015, at 4:35 PM, Pindar Wong <pindar.wong at gmail.com> wrote:
> It might be worthwhile considering whether in  II.A.3, last para, to provide a data point that over M years there have been N disputes.

I have no view with respect to the worthiness of including such a data point,
but the answer would vary based on whether the term “dispute” includes the
normal interchange of views and clarifications as provided for in the Global
Policy Development Process, or whether it refers to the situation where the
outcome of gPDP process is not satisfactory to the RIRs or ICANN and the
formal dispute resolution process contained in the MOU gets invoked.

Over the years, there have been a small number requests from ICANN for
clarification prior to global number resource policy ratification; I would estimate
this to be 3 to 5 cases (it would require some research to establish the precise
number), and in all cases supplying the requested information resulted in prompt
policy ratification.  There have been no policy “disputes”, i.e. situations which
necessitated invocation of the dispute resolution process.

Thanks for the comments on the proposal!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN