Richard Hill rhill at hill-a.ch
Thu Jan 8 18:03:04 CET 2015

Thank you for this.

The new version appears to me to reflect correctly the discussions on this
list, except that (a) in III.A.3.x, a specific arbitration scheme (e.g. ICC
in Bermuda) should be mentioned; and (b) the substantive law applicable to
the contract/SLA should be specified (as stated at the end of IV.B); this is
particularly important because, as I understand it, the contract will be
between ICANN and the five RIRs, so it might be tricky to determine the
applicable substantive law if a dispute actually arises.

In addition, I think that the language in VI needs to be tweaked a bit.
While the RIR processes are indeed bottom up, there wasn't much bottom up in
this particular process, not because of the process, but because there
weren't that many inputs from the bottom.  The RIRs did try to stimulate
inputs, going so far as to send out surveys, but there weren't that many

Regarding III.A.1, on some of the RIR lists there was some support for
moving the numbers part of the IANA function to the NRO (which could
subcontract it to one of the RIRs, or whatever).  Apparently there was not
sufficient support in CRISP to pursue that option. But I think that some
mention should be made of it, together with an explanation of why that
option was not pursued (other than "we are satisfied with ICANN's
performance to date").

Also, I still wonder whether any changes to the ICANN Bylaws are needed in
order to clarify that number policies are made by the RIRs, not by the ICANN
Board.  That is, is a new contract sufficient, or is there a need to also
change the ICANN Bylaws? If the CRISP team considered this point, then it
should be documented, otherwise it needs to be discussed.

More importantly, I don't think that this version is sufficient to
constitute a proper response to the IGC RFP, because it does not provide the
actual text of the new contract/SLA.  I don't see how the community could
approve this part of the transition plan without seeing the actual proposed
contract. That proposed contract could be provided as an Annex to the
present document.

So I don't think that a response can be sent to the ICG until that Annex
(with the proposed contract) is ready.

Best,
Richard