[NRO-IANAXFER] Contract details
Hans Petter Holen
hph at oslo.net
Wed Jan 7 11:27:27 CET 2015
On 07/01/2015 11:07, Alan Barrett wrote:
> I still don't understand why you are opposed to a fixed term
> contract. I don't see any advantage at all to an indefinite contract.
I am not opposed to a fixed term contract, but thee are some aspects of
a fixed term contraxt that needs to be handled:
- automatic renewal or not at the end of the term
- notification period to renew the contract/terminate the contract
- is it possible to terminate the contract only at the end of the term
- is it possible to adjust the SLA or other conditions during the term
of the contract
- renegotiation means both parties may want to change terms
I seriously think we should bring this back to high level principles like:
- long term relation for stability
- terminate at any point if SLA is not met in x out of the last y months
(I usualy have 3 out of last 12 months in my sub
- review SLA terms yearly - like the IETF
- termination period should be log enough to find a new contractor
- clear clauses of transition,
- IPR, access to data etc.
- clear, precice language easy to read and understand
Then I would leave it for the legal team to suggest the best
implementation of the principles under the approporiate legislation.
I know how I would do it under Norwegian law, but the contract is most
likely not going to be under Norwegian Law, so I do not think that would
The legal teams suggestion would as always need approval from RIR
management and RIR boards - thats what why we have them.
Some community engagement may also be useful - but some of us may have
limited competency in the particular legal framework.
More information about the ianaxfer