[NRO-IANAXFER] Contract details

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Wed Jan 7 11:07:54 CET 2015

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>> - renewal should not consume much additional resources over and
>> above the periodic review which will be done in any case;
>
> I wonder what other periodic review is refereed to here other
> than reviewing the SLA; could you kindly clarify the review you
> refer and what that will entail?

I mean the review process described in the draft proposal.
This is chiefly concerned with reviewing the IANA contractor's
performance against the SLA.

>> - it makes it easier to revise the SLA from time to time;
>
> Well i don't agree that you need to have a term based contract
> to revise SLA at least(unless i missed something) the IETF SLA
> is revised annually to supplement the MOU

You don't absolutely need to have a term based contract to revise
the SLA, but it is simpler.  Instead of some special way of
revising the SLA while an indefinite contract is still in effect,
you can simply include a new SLA in the new contract when you
renew it at the end of the term.

>>- it makes it possible to terminate the contract for reasons other
>>   than breach.
>
> Maybe you should state the other reasons (different from the
> ones stated in the agreement) that will justify that having a
> termed based contract is ideal, otherwise i think the content of
> the agreement is what in important.

The contractor might do a mediocre job that satisfies the terms
of the SLA, but leaves the contracting party unhappy.  Another,
more attractive, potential contractor may appear for reasons that
we can't predict.  If the contract is for a fixed term, then the
contracting party can simply choose not to renew it at the end of
the term.

> In anycase, its okay if that is what achieves
> consensus. However, i think i should note that this community
> is quite matured and may not need this level of un-necessary
> bureaucracy; we should continue to be an example for other
> communities.

I still don't understand why you are opposed to a fixed term
contract.  I don't see any advantage at all to an indefinite
contract.

--apb (Alan Barrett)