[NRO-IANAXFER] Contract details

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 11:56:44 CET 2015

Hello Alan,

Coming back to you on this now that i have some time. Kindly find inset

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Alan Barrett <apb at cequrux.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jan 2015, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>
>> In my personal opinion, it doesn't matter whether it's a fixed term with
>>> periodic renewal, or an indefinite term, provided there's provision for
>>> immediate termination upon breach of contract or failure to meet SLAs.
>>>
>> I think there may be a difference in the 2 scenario as periodic renewal
>> will mean initiating a process at the end of each fixed term(which could
>> require some level of resources). As you have rightly mentioned above,
>> providing termination conditions on the basis of SLA is what is most
>> important, so an indefinite term similar to the MOU that established ASO
>> would not reduce the strength of the agreement but could save us some
>> resources.
>>

> We discussed this in the CRISP Team teleconference today.  We think that a
> fixed term (with provision for periodic renewal) makes more sense for a few
> reasons:

Well it depends on how we view "making sense" in this context because the
NRO/ICANN MOU is not term based neither is RFC2860 and it does not in
anyway diminish the possibility of achieving what you have listed below.

> - renewal should not consume much additional resources over and above
>   the periodic review which will be done in any case;

I wonder what other periodic review is refereed to here other than
reviewing the SLA; could you kindly clarify the review you refer and what
that will entail?

> - it makes it easier to revise the SLA from time to time;

Well i don't agree that you need to have a term based contract to revise
SLA at least(unless i missed something) the IETF SLA is revised annually to
supplement the MOU

- it makes it possible to terminate the contract for reasons other
>   than breach.
>
> Maybe you should state the other reasons (different from the ones stated
in the agreement) that will justify that having a termed based contract is
ideal, otherwise i think the content of the agreement is what in important.

In anycase, its okay if that is what achieves consensus. However, i think i
should note that this community is quite matured and may not need this
level of un-necessary bureaucracy; we should continue to be an example for
other communities.

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*