[NRO-IANAXFER] Contract details

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Mon Jan 5 14:23:22 CET 2015

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>> In my personal opinion, it doesn't matter whether it's a fixed
>> term with periodic renewal, or an indefinite term, provided
>> there's provision for immediate termination upon breach of
>> contract or failure to meet SLAs.
> I think there may be a difference in the 2 scenario as periodic
> renewal will mean initiating a process at the end of each fixed
> term(which could require some level of resources). As you have
> rightly mentioned above, providing termination conditions on the
> basis of SLA is what is most important, so an indefinite term
> similar to the MOU that established ASO would not reduce the
> strength of the agreement but could save us some resources.

We discussed this in the CRISP Team teleconference today.  We think that
a fixed term (with provision for periodic renewal) makes more sense for
a few reasons:

 - renewal should not consume much additional resources over and above
   the periodic review which will be done in any case;
 - it makes it easier to revise the SLA from time to time;
 - it makes it possible to terminate the contract for reasons other
   than breach.

--apb (Alan Barrett)