[NRO-IANAXFER] IPR considerations in the RIRs submission to the ICG

Hans Petter Holen hph at oslo.net
Sat Jan 3 18:57:15 CET 2015

Hi Andrei,

I think your proposal looks good.
It is very important to get this resolved now as part of the transition,
when the NTIA/USG can assist in getting the appropriate terms and
conditions.

The rights to the registry content and other IPR should be with the
contractor - the community, not the IANA operator, but since we share
the registry with IETF I support finding a common place for this for the
IANA functions to ensure maximum access for the community for all future.

On 02.01.15 17.27, Andrei Robachevsky wrote:

> There were several suggestions on the IANAXFER mailinglist that one of
> the possible entities could be the IETF Trust
> (http://trustee.ietf.org/index.html).

I believe that is a good common place to keep the IPR.

In the event a costs occur by handling iana.org and IPRs, the RIRs
should of course contribute towards covering such cost for the numbering
functions.

Hans Petter

--
Hans Petter Holen