[NRO-IANAXFER] changes to gPDP - out of scope

Hans Petter Holen hph at oslo.net
Sat Jan 3 16:19:24 CET 2015

Hi Seun,
I am not on the CRISP team, but will add my thoughts on your suggestion:

On 03.01.15 07.47, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> - I made a suggestion on minor changes on the gPDP, may I also know
> what the crisp has determined about that?
First, as I read the charter for the CRISP, reviewing the Global Policy
Development Process is outside the charter.

I also think it is unwise to open up the Global Policy Development
Process at the same time as we are discussing the implementation.

So my strong opinion is that changes to the Global Policy Development
Process and the ASO MOU, should in my opinion be handled separately from
the NTIA transition.

So to your proposal:

I had a look trough the archives and assume you refer to:

On 19.12.14 07.20, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> Finally on a related note, i suggest a minor update of section 10 of
> the gPDP as follow:
>
> In case Step 9 (c), should at least *two* of the RIRs agree that
> changes need to be made
If I get this right you are suggesting that two, rather than one, RIRs
has to agree with a simple majority of the ICANN boards request to make
changes to a policy proposal, for the proposal to be sent back to step 1
in the policy development process. In the event that the ICANN board.

Personally I would rather see ICANN giving input much earlier in the
process rather than having this power at the very end of the process, so
I think this proposal requires more detailed discussion in all regions
to archive consensus on changes to the Global PDP.

Context for reference:

Refering to the ASO MOU attachment A,
http://archive.icann.org/en/aso/aso-mou-attachmentA-29oct04.htm

9. Within 60 days of receipt of the proposed policy, including such
consultation as may occur in Step 8, the ICANN Board may either:

 1. accept the proposal by a simple majority vote; or
 2. reject the proposed policy by a supermajority (2/3) vote; or
 3. by a simple majority vote request changes to the proposed policy; or
 4. take no action.

10. If the ICANN Board takes no action (that is, fails to take actions
(a), (b) or (c) in Step 9) within the 60-day window, the proposed policy
is deemed to be accepted by the ICANN Board and it becomes global policy.

/In case Step 9 (c), should at least *one* of the RIRs agree that
changes need to be made, the status of the proposed policy reverts to
Step 1. //
/
If none of the RIRs accept the case for changes, then the proposed
policy continues to Step 11.

--
Hans Petter Holen
Mobile +47 45 06 60 54 | hph at oslo.net | http://hph.oslo.net