[NRO-IANAXFER] NRO-NC role in Review Committee

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 14:15:28 CET 2015

Hi Alan,

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Alan Barrett <apb at cequrux.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2014, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>
>> May I request the CRISP team inform us about how the review is presently
>> carried out, to help understand what we are trying to transition; What
>> tasks exactly does NTIA carry out presently in the review process as it
>> relates to numbers?
>>

> The existing MoU netween ICANN and the RIRs does not include any
> involvement by the NTIA.  (See <http://archive.icann.org/en/
> aso/aso-mou-29oct04.htm>.)

This is also my understanding but it was good i asked (incase i missed
something)

> The existing IANA contract between the NTIA and ICANN does not give the
> NTIA any specific role in management or review of the internet number
> resources part of the IANA function, but it does have general requirements
> for reports and audits, which presumably would be used to guide NTIA in
> deciding whether to terminate or renew the contract.  (See <
> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/page/iana-functions-purchase-order> and <
> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/sf_26_
> pg_1-2-final_award_and_sacs.pdf>.)

Ditto! I believe ensuring the provision of reports as currently done by
IANA operator will still be continued (or improved upon if there are
identify lapses) and continuity of such feature can be ensured by including
relevant lines in the agreement. Also as you have rightly noted that NTIA
play no major standing/daily role in reviewing reports, i think the role
carried out by NTIA is what the NRO NC can comfortably handle and there may
be no need to create a whole team just to read periodic reports.

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*