[NRO-IANAXFER] NRO-NC role in Review Committee

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Fri Jan 2 13:49:54 CET 2015

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> May I request the CRISP team inform us about how the review is
> presently carried out, to help understand what we are trying to
> transition; What tasks exactly does NTIA carry out presently in
> the review process as it relates to numbers?

The existing MoU netween ICANN and the RIRs does
not include any involvement by the NTIA.  (See
<http://archive.icann.org/en/aso/aso-mou-29oct04.htm>.)

The existing IANA contract between the NTIA and ICANN
does not give the NTIA any specific role in management or
review of the internet number resources part of the IANA
function, but it does have general requirements for reports
and audits, which presumably would be used to guide NTIA in
deciding whether to terminate or renew the contract.  (See
<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/page/iana-functions-purchase-order>
and
<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/sf_26_pg_1-2-final_award_and_sacs.pdf>.)

Thank you also for expanding on your thoughts regarding separation
between the NRO-NC and the proposed Review Team.

--apb (Alan Barrett)