[NRO-IANAXFER] Biographical information for participation on the mailing list vs qualification of appointees to CRISP team

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Oct 21 14:57:11 CEST 2014

Travis -

     You are referring to qualification/selection process for CRISP team appointees,
     correct?   I believe this is this is quite distinct from Andres suggestion that those
     on the mailing list discussion take a moment to provide biographical information
     about their interest in the topic and participation on the list.

     If I understand your proposal, you propose an algorithmic selection process in
     each region among qualified/non-conflicting volunteers (based on dice or random
     bit source)

     Can you explain why this should be a hard requirement for all CRISP team
     appointees, rather than simply an approach that each region can consider for
     its selection process?

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

On Oct 20, 2014, at 11:02 PM, Travis Biehn <tbiehn at gmail.com<mailto:tbiehn at gmail.com>> wrote:

Andres,
Completely agree,
>From our chat on the ARIN list last week:

I don't enjoy the idea of having any member of an RIR appoint the two non-staff appointees. I'd like to see that as a hard rule.

To be fully unambiguous, I am proposing that NGO's CRISP be amended to include the following obligations and restrictions on appointees.

All appointees:

Must lodge their interest publicly. [On relevant publicly Read and Write mailing lists.]
Must identify themselves and demonstrate that they are physically and spiritually [demonstrate non-trivial ties] part of the RIR that serves them and they intend to represent.
Must disclose all organizations, clubs and boards which they are members of. This is meant to include current and past employers for the past 5 years.
Must substantiate their qualifications and how they are able to dedicate the time and effort requisite of establishing a solution fitting the global communities best interest. [On an hour / day, week basis.]

There is some verification of facts performed here.

A dice is rolled, if the selected appointee overlaps in employment or membership (that is - a potential for the perception of cronyism is identified) in any way with an existing appointee they are disqualified. (A dice roll can here be substituted with some publicly verifiable source of random bits...)

-Travis