[NRO-IANAXFER] delegation of IN-ADDR.ARPA and IP6.ARPA DNS trees

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Wed Dec 31 14:12:33 CET 2014

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> First, as a nit, on page 1, under "description of the service",
> it mentions "delegation of the 'in-addr.arpa' and 'ip6.arpa' DNS
> trees".  Perhaps this means "delegation from"?  IANA doesn't
> delegate those two names to any of the RIRs, but delegates
> spaces within them.  (I suspect this is just an editorial nit,
> but it confused me on first reading.)  There's a similar issue
> under "what registries", on p2, and it's only really made clear
> in the "overlaps" section (also on p2).  I am prepared to
> imagine that I'm the only person who was led astray by this, and
> it's not a real big deal, but it might be nice to clarify.

I think we specifically said "delegation of the 'in-addr.arpa' and
'ip6.arpa' DNS trees" rather than "delegation of the ... domains"
or "delegation of the ... zones", because we wanted to refer to the
delegation of multiple subdomains within ip-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa, and
the term "tree" encompasses all the subdomains, no matter how many zones
are involved.  Perhaps it would be more clear to say "delegation of
subdomains below the IN-ADDR.ARPA and IP6.ARPA domains".

--apb (Alan Barrett)