[NRO-IANAXFER] IANA IPR considerations

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Tue Dec 23 11:44:12 CET 2014

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Richard Hill wrote:
>I support this approach and suggested way forward.
>
>(But I don't think that it can be said the ICANN should have no claim
>on the associated IPR - they own the IANA mark. Rather, I think it can
>be said that ICANN will allow appropriate use of the associated IPR.)

The IANA mark was in use long before ICANN existed.  In my opinion,
ICANN has no rights to the mark other than by virtue of their role as
operator of the IANA services, and if ICANN were to cease being the
operator of the IANA services, then they should cease to have any rights
to use of the IANA mark.  In my personal opinion, this principle should
be codified.

--apb (Alan Barrett)