[NRO-IANAXFER] IANA policy vis IANA operation - How they differ?

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 09:34:33 CET 2014

Dear all,

I have been following various discussions in this process (including beyond
this commuity) where some are of the opinion that policy should be separate
from operation. While i also agree with that, but they then go further to
apply same separation to the community. This is where i think perhaps we
need to get a clear rationale for that distinction.  Here is what i think:

- Within the context of IANA operations (down to RIR level) policies has
always been separated from its implementation (operations) by process
- The processes are executed by 2 main sections of the community, the staff
and the non-staff members
- By process staff is largely assigned operations (IANA implementation)
- By process the non-staff members of the community are largely assigned
the policy development

However we would agree that staff participate in PDP because they are by
process part of the community and their participation is important. I then
don't understand the rationale behind trying to say NRO-NC (for instance)
would not be the ideal team to follow-up with staff operations at community
level, infact i think they will be in a better position to do the job. I
think it will only the fine to select other representative from the
community if the current work of the NRO NC is already recognised to be
significantly enormous (which is not the case in this situation).

Inview of this, i will like to suggest that CRISP team strongly consider
utilising existing structures effectively instead of creating new ones. We
have 15 members of NRO-NC but we also know that global policies are not
something that happen often....also the ASO(NRO-NC) in this particular case
are the ones involved with ICANN and they would be more informed and know
better on the operations processes.

It will be good to know what aspect of this that i may have missed,
otherwise i think maximising the current systems would go a long way in our
global resource utilisation.

Thanks

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*