[NRO-IANAXFER] IANA IPR considerations

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Tue Dec 23 09:16:35 CET 2014

There has been a suggestion that the CRISP team's proposal should
include IPR considerations.  I understand that the concern is
around the "IANA" trademark, the "IANA.ORG" domain name, and any
databases related to the performance of the IANA functions.  Are
there any other areas of concern?

During yesterday's CRISP teleconference, I suggested that all
the rights to the IANA trade mark, domain name, databases, and
related intellectual property rights, should be associated with
the IANA function, not with ICANN.  I meant, but did not say,
that if operation of the IANA function is ever transferred to
another body, then ICANN should have no claim on the associated
IPR.  I suggested that the CRISP Team should highlight this issue,
but leave the details up to the legal team that will draft the
contract between ICANN and the RIRs.

I would like to know what the community thinks of this approach.

--apb (Alan Barrett)