[Iana-ipr] Proposed Principal Terms of IANA Intellectual Property Agreements

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 17:29:48 CEST 2016

It was my understanding that we (this group) were awaiting feedback
(mark-up/comment) from IETF's counsel and from NRO's counsel.  Indeed, CWG
originally held off on sending the document to our counsel; our plan was to
send our counsel a package that included the other communities' counsels'
comments on the document.  We only sent the document to CWG counsel after
being told (possibly more than once) that IETF's counsel's feedback was not
imminent.

Until I asked my question above, it was my still understanding that we were
waiting for that feedback.  I don't believe I was alone in that
understanding. I'm a bit surprised to find we are not waiting for anyhing.
I didn't see anything sent to this list that said IETF's counsel had
reviewed and signed off on the document (something saying the Trust was
okay with the document would not have conveyed anything about what counsel
was doing or saying).

It was also my understanding that we would be weighing and trying to
"harmonize" the feedback from each group's counsel .  It's typical when
multiple parties are working on a document for counsel to have a mark-up
and/or comments that is sent to the other parties (apart from whatever
feedback they gave solely to their client).

I suppose what you're saying is that IETF's counsel had no mark-up or
comments to give to the other parties and that the document is acceptable
"as is" (as a jumping off point for the full agreements).

Well, at least this has been clarified.

Greg