[Iana-ipr] Proposed agenda (was Re: Call next week for IANA IPR)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Jul 26 03:22:42 CEST 2016

Thanks for the expansions.  Yes, sorry, like anyone too deep in some
activities, I'm prone ro forgetting and failing to define.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 06:25:01PM -0400, Greg Shatan wrote:

> communication and innovation."  The IAB appears to be both a committee of
> the IETF and performs an oversight function as well (but here I'm getting
> into deeper water, so I'll ask for clarification of how IAB fits.  Since
> you are Chair of the IAB that should be relatively easy....).

The easiest way (for our purposes) to think about this is to think of
the IAB as both an appeal channel and the foreign office of the IETF.

The appeal channel is simple: the IAB is next in the appeal chain
after the IESG decides an appeal.  On technical matters, the IAB is
final.  On administrative issues (like whether the process was
followed), IAB decisions can be appealed to the ISOC BoT.

The IETF also has to work normally by consensus, but the IAB only has
to find consensus in itself (only 13 members).  So that's the reason
that external oversight, such as the IANA function agreement, is
housed in the IAB.  You can't really do meaningful oversight of
external parties with >1000 people weighing in on the topic :-)

> Is this correct (other than the part where I ask for further clarification
> of how IAB fits)?

It all sounded right to me.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com