[CRISP-TEAM] [Ianaplan] Transition proposal for naming-related functions

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue May 5 16:30:50 CEST 2015

> On May 5, 2015, at 7:13 AM, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:
>
> On 4 May 2015 at 23:56, Steve Crocker <steve at shinkuro.com> wrote:
> ICANN publishes the IANA registries for anyone to use without charge, and it asserts no ownership or control of the information in the registries.  No matter what additional structures are created, this basic rule must continue.  There are no subtle or hidden meanings here, and if anyone manages to see an ambiguity, I can assure you none is intended and we will be happy to restate this in language that removes the perceived ambiguity.  Anything less would be inconsistent with the spirit, history and ethic of the IANA function.
>
> Greetings team,
>
> I want to understand this statement by Steve Crocker on cost for publishing the IANA registries. Is this charge the same as what we have provided in the Numbering proposal and Draft SLA?. On our "IANA SLA principles", Page 12 of the CRISP proposal, we had  a principle "11. Fee
> The fee is based on costs incurred by the IANA Numbering Services Operator in providing the IANA Numbering Service. Relevant section(s) in the NTIA contract: B.2”

I believe that Steve is saying that there has been, and will be, no fee to the _consumer_ of the data, whereas we (or the IETF in this case) are the _author_ of the data.  The IANA function operator stands in the role of publisher, and like the house in a gambling establishment, the publisher must be paid by someone.  :-)

                                -Bill