25 January 2018

Minutes: Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 171219

Date

Tuesday, 19 December 2017.
11:00 AM UTC

Attendees

Executive Council:

  • John Curran (JC), ARIN:  Chair
  • Paul Wilson (PW), APNIC: Secretary & Vice Chair
  • Alan Barrett (AB), AFRINIC: Treasurer
  • Oscar Robles (OR) LACNIC

Apologies:

  • Axel Pawlik (AP), RIPE NCC

Observers:

  • Pablo Hinojosa (PH), APNIC
  • Paul Andersen (PA), ARIN
  • Sanjaya (SJ), APNIC

Secretariat:

  • German Valdez (GV), NRO
  • Susannah Gray (SG), NRO (Scribe)

 Agenda       

0. Welcome
1. Agenda Review
2. Minutes Review
a) 27 October 2017 (F2F)
b) 21 November 2017
3. ASO Review Update
4. gTLD Auction Proceeds CCWG Status
5. FY18 NRO Contribution to ICANN
6. CG Input / Consultation
7. Review Open Actions
8. Next Meetings
a) Teleconference Tuesday 23 January
b) Teleconference Tuesday 20 February
c) F2F Meeting Friday 16 March San Juan PR (Right after ICANN 61)
9. AOB
10. Adjourn

Resolutions

No Resolutions were passed at this meeting.

New Action Items 

  • NEW ACTION ITEM 171219-1: All to review the October and November minutes and approve or send comments.
  • NEW ACTION ITEM 171219-2: JC to send the final version of the Consideration of the 2017 ASO Review Recommendations document to the ASO AC and confirm it should be submitted jointly.
  • NEW ACTION ITEM 171219-4: AB to liaise with the CFOs to get a list of past payments to ICANN.
  • NEW ACTION ITEM 171219-5: All to review and approve the revised RSM work plan.
  • NEW ACTION ITEM 171219-6: SG to re-send proposed menu structure and design.
  • NEW ACTION ITEM 171219-7: PW to draft a note regarding NRO participation in future ISOC/ICANN social events at IGF for discussion at the next teleconference.

0. Welcome

JC welcomed the participants to the meeting. He noted that AP had sent his apologies.

1. Agenda Review

No items were added.

2. Minutes Review

  • 27 October 2017 (F2F)

PW has approved the October minutes.

  • 21 November 2017

No comments have been received on the November minutes

NEW ACTION ITEM 171219-1: All to review the October and November minutes and approve or send comments. 

3. ASO Review Update

OR noted that he is preparing a problem statement and justification text together with PW, which will be ready soon. 

JC noted that he has been working on a ‘community effort’ process document, similar to the CRISP Team to help guide the community process but that the problem statement and justification should be completed first. 

JC continued that the NRO EC had sent a response to the ASO AC and asked it if it would be signing off on it and whether it wanted to submit a joint response. 

GV noted that the ASO AC is waiting for a final version of the Consideration of the 2017 ASO Review Recommendations document. 

AB noted that after the meeting during ICANN 60, he had incorporated the ASO AC’s feedback and sent the document to the NRO EC mailing list on 21 November 2017. 

JC asked if there were any objections to sending this to the ASO AC. There were none.

NEW ACTION ITEM 171219-2: JC to send the final version of the Consideration of the 2017 ASO Review Recommendations document to the ASO AC and confirm it should be submitted jointly. 

4. gTLD Auction Proceeds CCWG Status

JC noted that the Co-Chairs of the CCWG on New gTLD Auction Proceeds had sent a notification to the ICANN Board indicating its impression of the status of the group. Among other things, this includes ideas on how the proceeds should be used, including a clear statement that says that the proceeds should be used to benefit ICANN’s mission. He continued that use cases outlining what should be considered in scope or out of scope were documented.  

JC continued that he did not think the NRO EC needed to respond. He added that some of the use cases were similar to some of the RIRs’ outreach and development activities, such as community grants. 

JC added that one of the possible valid use cases noted was a contribution to the IETF Endowment. 

AB noted that he was in favour of the IETF Endowment and the RIRs’ grants/awards programs benefitting from the proceeds. 

5. FY18 NRO Contribution to ICANN

AB noted that he had received an email from the ICANN CFO asking the NRO to pay its contribution by the end of February 2018: this is unusual, as the contribution is usually paid in Q4. He added that ICANN’s fiscal year ends in June.

JC noted that the NRO makes two distinct contributions: 

  • A cost recovery contribution of US$ 650,000 paid to ICANN for the IANA numbering services.
  • A historic contribution to ICANN of US$ 173,000

JC noted that the SLA says that the operator shall be reimbursed US$ 650,000 per calendar year. 

AB noted that, in 2017, the amount was paid by AFRINIC in November. 

JC noted that the Treasurer usually makes the payment. In 2018, the RIPE NCC takes the treasurer role. 

OR asked if the requirement is to have the payment before the close of the fiscal year, why should it be paid before 30 June?

JC noted that the SLA states ‘calendar’ year: it is not clear if this means fiscal year or calendar year. 

PW noted that a calendar year implies January to December. 

JC said that the costs are to be reimbursed.  

AB noted that this would them imply that the NRO is to reimburse in arrears. 

JC noted that it is not possible to proactively reimburse for the upcoming year. 

JC wondered if the NRO’s last payment was in arrears for 2017. He added that there is a potential for double payment if the NRO switches from paying in arrears.  

PW noted that ICANN may believe that the NRO’s last payment is for 2016: if this is the case, paying it in November 2017 is very late, which is why ICANN may want to have arrears paid earlier. 

JC added that the US$ 650,000 needs to be paid according to the SLA and, if this is not currently the case, either the payment schedule needs to change or the SLA needs to be amended.

NEW ACTION ITEM 171219-4: AB to liaise with the CFOs to get a list of past payments to ICANN. 

6. CG Input / Consultation

  • RSCG

JS gave an update from the RSCG: 

  • The 2018 work plan has been completed and sent to the NRO EC for comments and review: the items on RDAP and RPKI were also added. 
  • Most of the work has been handed off to George Kao, who will be Chair of the CG in 2018.
  • The ITHI consultation period has ended: there was one comment on the list.

JC acknowledged receipt of the RSCG’s 2018 work plan.

  • Secretariat

GV gave an update from the Secretariat:

  • There will be updates to the ASO/NRO websites and to the mailing lists as usual at the end/beginning of each year. The new CG Chairs will be added to the NRO EC mailing list and the previous Chairs removed.
  • The final report of the NRO-related expenses for 2017 will be ready in the next few days.
  • The Election for Seat 9 on the ICANN Board is in progress. There are four candidates and the process is currently in comment phase.

7. Review Open Actions

Action Item Status
ACTION ITEM 171117-1: JC to send latest version of the ‘Consideration of the 2017 ASO Review Recommendations’ document to the ASO AC and ask if this version can be used as a joint response. CLOSED

ACTION ITEM 171117-2: JC to update the Interim Procedures to reflect the legal team’s input and the request from the ASO AC. The document should be sent to the legal team for final review before being sent to the ASO AC.

JC noted that he has edited the Interim Procedures and will circulate to the NRO EC list this week. It will also be sent to the legal team. He noted that the changes reflect the ASO AC’s requests.

IN PROGRESS

ACTION ITEM 171117-3: JC to check whether he can forward to the NRO EC the Q&A between ARIN and its insurers on coverage for its ASO AC representatives.

CLOSED

ACTION ITEM 171117-4: JC ask the RIRs’ legal team to clarify whether the diversity requirements for the ICANN Board, as outlined in the ICANN Bylaws, apply to the ASO AC appointments to the Board.

JC noted that he had sent the request for clarification but had not yet received a repsonse.

CLOSED

ACTION ITEM 171117-5: PW/CCG to prepare new content for the RIR session during the Open Forum at the IGF.

CLOSED 

ACTION ITEM 171117-6: JS to update the work plan to include information about RDAP and RPKI and circulate to the NRO EC.  

CLOSED

ACTION ITEM 171117-7: NRO EC: All to look at RSCG’s work plan 2018 with the aim to approve it over the mailing list before the next NRO EC Teleconference.

CLOSED

ACTION ITEM 171117-8: MK to revise the work plan adjusting the number of F2Fs to no more than two. 

NEW ACTION ITEM 171219-5: All to review and approve the revised RSM work plan.

CLOSED

ACTION ITEM 171117-9: NRO EC to review proposed website menu structure and design and provide feedback to the CCG. 

SG noted she had sent this to the NRO EC list in October: she will forward it again.

NEW ACTION ITEM 171219-6: SG to re-send proposed menu structure and design.

OPEN

ACTION ITEM 171117-10: ALL: provide input to OR on requirements for a future ASO.

CLOSED

ACTION ITEM 171117-11: PW and OR to draft a background document/list of questions for a future ASO Structure and send to the EC mailing list for further discussion.

IN PROGRESS

ACTION ITEM 171117-12: GV to check IGF schedule and propose times for NRO EC Teleconference on 19 December, which is scheduled during the IGF.

CLOSED

ACTION ITEM 171117-13: Secretariat to create documentation on users, permissions and access for the NRO Wiki.

IN PROGRESS

ACTION ITEM 171027-2: OR to draft requirements for a future ASO and send to the NRO EC mailing list.

CLOSED

ACTION ITEM 171027-3: JC to draft the processes for a future ASO and send to the NRO EC mailing list.

IN PROGRESS

ACTION ITEM 171027-6: ALL to review what indemnification, if any, their respective RIR provides, or wishes to provide, to its ASO AC appointees in case of lawsuits against them arising from a director removal.

JC noted that ARIN’s ASO AC representatives are now covered by its corporate insurance.

AB noted that AFRINIC’s situation complex: the ASO AC representatives have the same coverage as staff and directors but the cover excludes US and Canada. He has raised a query on how to remove this geographical restriction.

OPEN

ACTION ITEM 171027-9: AP to draft a boilerplate response to decline invitations to participate in ICANN SO/AC activities that do not directly relate to the numbers community and circulate to NRO EC mailing list.

JC asked PW if, as the incoming Chair, this boilerplate would be useful. PW agreed.  

JC noted that the EC should discuss who will send the response to decline future invites and how the rest of the EC will be informed that this has been sent.

PW noted that it is very important to track/keep records of what the NRO has been invited to participate in and what has been declined. This should be documented on the new wiki.  

There was agreement.

CLOSED

ACTION ITEM 171027-11: GV to check with ISOC whether the NRO will get recognition for its significant contribution to the IGF social event. 

GV noted that he had sent a note: the next day he received an invite for an ISOC/ICANN social event. 

PW said that the NRO should send a note stating that it would have been interested in participating and would like to participate again in the fture. 

JC noted that if the NRO sends a letter outlining its interest in participating in future, it may be difficult to decline if asked.

NEW ACTION ITEM 171219-7: PW to draft a note regarding NRO participation in future ISOC/ICANN social events at IGF for discussion at the next teleconference. 

CLOSED

ACTION ITEM 170919-06: GV to update OR’s initial document listing the NRO/ASO’s current appointments/liaisons to the various ICANN groups and committees.

JC noted that this list needs to be uploaded to the wiki. As new requests come in, it can be indicated in this list that they have been declined. 

GV noted that this will be done by the end of the week

OPEN

8. Next Meetings      

The following meetings were scheduled: 

  • Teleconference Tuesday 23 January
  • Teleconference Tuesday 20 February
  • F2F Meeting Friday 16 March San Juan PR (Right after ICANN 61)

 9. AOB

  • Appointments to the ICANN Board

JC explained that, legally, appointments to the ICANN Board have to be made by the Empowered Community.

He noted that the ccNSO has selected Nigel Roberts to take Seat 12. The Empowered Community has therefore been asked to make this appointment. 

He continued that, as there is no discretion in this matter, he will concur with the request as the current Empowered Community designated representative. And although legally there is no choice, as per the NRO operating procedures, he needs agreement from all five members to proceed.

There were no objections from the members present on the call. JC will seek AP’s agreement before consenting on behalf of the NRO.

  • Role Handover 

AB thanked JC for his hard work as Chair in 2017 and wished PW luck for his role as Chair in 2018.

PW thanked the ARIN staff who chaired the various Coordination Groups for their hard work

JC thanked the EC. He thanked the incoming CG chairs in advance

10. Adjourn

The meeting was adjourned at 11:58 UTC.

Comments are closed.