19 January 2016

Meeting of the NRO Executive Council – 151113

Minutes of the NRO EC face-to-face meeting held on Friday November 13th 2015 at 10:30 AM Joao Pessoa (-3 UTC)

Executive Council:

Axel Pawlik (AP) RIPE NCC Chair
Oscar Robles (OR) LACNIC Secretary
Alan Barrett (AB) AFRINIC
Paul Wilson (PW) APNIC


Cathy Handley (CH) ARIN
Akinori Maemura (AM) APNIC
Pablo Hinojosa (PH) APNIC
Andres Piazza (API) LACNIC

John Curran (JC) ARIN Treasurer

German Valdez (GV) NRO

Draft Agenda NRO EC f2f November 13th 2015

0. Welcome
1. Agenda Review
2. IANA Transition Status
3. ASO Approval of CCWG Proposal
4. Revising ICANN Mission
5. CRISP Team Term
6. RPKI TA structure
7. RIR Accountability Review Status
8. Next Meetings
a) Teleconference Schedule Tuesday November 17 – (During RIPE 71)
9. Adjourn

0. Welcome

AP opened the meeting and welcomed all participants at 10:39 AM -3 UTC.

1. Agenda Review

AP asked adding ISOC IGF support statement to the agenda. AP suggested that any pending topics could be discussed in the teleconference next week (November 17th 2015)

PW suggested adding the RIR interface with ICANN to the agenda

2. IGF Support Statement

CH mentioned that ISOC was working on a statement supporting the continuation of the IGF. CH said that she worked with Chris Buckridge to add RIR language to the statement. CH added that other organizations were also adding input to the statement so she was not sure of the current content of the document.

AP advised to wait to see the last draft before the EC takes any further action.

3. Revising ICANN Mission

AB said that there have been many changes in the past 2 weeks so he wasn’t sure what was the status. AB suggested to wait for the last version before the EC takes any further action.

4. CRISP Team Term

AP Reminded of the NRO EC agreement to put the CRISP Team in stand by.

OR said that he expected that the CRISP Team still would validate the third version of the SLA

AP asked if this was part of their charter.

AB agreed with OR. AB suggested that in the case it was not part of charter a simple email would be enough to ask the CRISP Team to validate the number community principles in the last version of the SLA.

AP said that the participation of the CRISP Team in future panels would be at individual capacities. AP mentioned he would communicate with Izumi first and then draft an email to be sent to the CRISP Team.

PW asked if the draft email would be circulated in the NRO EC first.

AP agreed.

New Action Item 151113-01 AP to draft an email informing the CRISP Team they would be in stand by until request of the NRO EC.

5. ASO Approval of CCWG Proposal

AP reminded of the agreement on the interpretation that the ASO is the NRO not the ASO AC.

PW suggested sending a note to the ASO AC.

AP suggested reviewing the CCWG proposal and in case there is no policy implications inform to the ASO AC that the NRO EC would be involved in the approval process.

New Action Item 151113-02 AP once the CCWG proposal is received to send a note to the ASO AC informing them that the NRO EC would take the approval process.

6. RPKI TA Structure

AP asked to review the document sent to the NRO EC list and discuss it in the next teleconference.

7. Interface with ICANN

PW suggested setting clear expectations of the relationship with ICANN VP Technical Communication Engagement (Adiel Akplogan). PW volunteered to draft a written document on the scope and expectations of the relationship.

PW added that ICANN has an informal technical expert group. PW suggested requesting to ICANN the appointment of a representative of the RIRs in the group. PW said that the chair of ECG or any ECG nominee could be appointed for the role.

AP agreed and asked to be added to the agenda of next week teleconference.

New Action Item 151113-03 PW to draft a set of expectations in the relationship between the NRO with ICANN VP Technical Communication Engagement.

8. RIR Accountability Review Status

AP mentioned that the ARIN legal firm has not contacted RIPE NCC yet.

AP suggested discussing the status of the accountability review with John Curran in the next teleconference.

9. Next Meetings

a) Teleconference Schedule Tuesday November 17 – (During RIPE 71)

AP confirmed his availability for next week teleconference.

10. AOB

Secretariat Rotation

PW asked about the transition of the secretariat.

GV reported that he met with ARIN staff after the CFO meeting in Washington 2 weeks ago. GV mentioned that he passed the documentation of the secretariat support to ARIN staff and details were discussed in the meeting in Washington. GV said that LACNIC and ARIN have agreed to pass all secretariat support responsibilities by December 1st.

GV reminded that next year the roles would be LACNIC as chair, ARIN secretary and APNIC treasurer.


GV reminded that the NRO budget includes 5,000 USD to support the IGF through alternatives channels. GV said he sent to the NRO EC list the IGFSA activities report for their consideration.

11. Adjourn

AP thanked all participants and adjourned the meeting at 11:15 AM (-3 UTC)

Comments are closed.